Vic Fangio

Hitman52

I just think we just have to clean house at this point...it's a year too late but better now than never...clear house and bring in a HC who Pace feels comfortable with and then a coaching staff who that HC feels comfortable with...we have tried to mix and match far too much over the years.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Donatell absolutely would be a move I would consider for the sake of continuity. He's coordinated some good defenses in his career.

I've been calling for him for months now. He has developed the DBs very well and hopefully is more creative than Fangio, more willing to try and dial up some pressure.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I've been calling for him for months now. He has developed the DBs very well and hopefully is more creative than Fangio, more willing to try and dial up some pressure.

I’m not opposed to a more pressure-heavy scheme but it only works if you have the players who can get home. Otherwise you’re just leaving yourself with more unfavorable matchups on the back end. 

I don’t remember who wrote it but I thought they made a good point - if Fox were fired and Fangio elevated as an interim but Pace has no intention of ever making Fangio a permanent HC, and then Fangio has success against the bottom of the league over the next month, it makes it much harder for Pace to not keep Fangio even though he never really wanted him as HC. Makes a lot of sense especially if Hub is right and Pace already has his short list ready and Vic isn’t on it. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t remember who wrote it but I thought they made a good point - if Fox were fired and Fangio elevated as an interim but Pace has no intention of ever making Fangio a permanent HC, and then Fangio has success against the bottom of the league over the next month, it makes it much harder for Pace to not keep Fangio even though he never really wanted him as HC. Makes a lot of sense especially if Hub is right and Pace already has his short list ready and Vic isn’t on it. 

This was something I hadn't really thought about, and it makes a lot of sense.  Can you imagine if Fangio were to win 4 in a row or something, and then the players and fans buy in, and then he's HC and can't get anything going for the next years? Ugh.

I agree, time to start fresh and gamble on a young offensive innovator.  If Fangio wants to stay at DC it makes sense but he can't be your main consideration

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not opposed to a more pressure-heavy scheme but it only works if you have the players who can get home. Otherwise you’re just leaving yourself with more unfavorable matchups on the back end. 

True, but by not putting pressure and rushing 3 or 4 we have just out that much more pressure on the backend, or Nick or Jones who are not good in coverage. 

When we weren't getting any pressure on Wentz we kept the same process going and kept dropping 7 or 8. Even if it is situational, we should have at least threw in a few blitzes on the outside IMO. We did one and Wentz made that ridiculously good play to evade, rollout and make a good throw. I'd imagine even he couldn't routinely make that level of play. 

22 hours ago, Hitman52 said:

So you wouldn't want Vic to stick around for a little continuity with the D? When they are healthy they are decent. 

My main concern for continuity is for the offense that Trubisky is in. Unfortunately, now it would be continuity in a bad offense so even that doesn't hold any weight.

Lots of love for Vic and the Chicago defense. He's done a good job given the talent he has had to work with, but I don't think that he is irreplaceable by any measure.

2017   Scoring 15th, yards 12th.

2016   Scoring 24th, yards 15th.

2015  Scoring 20th, yards 14th.

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

2017   Scoring 15th, yards 12th.

2016   Scoring 24th, yards 15th.

2015  Scoring 20th, yards 14th.

These stats are misleading. The Bears typically participate in low-scoring games because they shorten the game offensively. More interesting would be points per time of possession.  I bet they’d be ranked lower using that metric. 

Was thinking that maybe a reason Pace doesn't turn to Fangio now is because he will heavily pursue Harbaugh after the season and doesn't want to piss him off in hopes he returns as DC.

A coaching staff consisting of HC Jim Harbaugh, OC John Morton and DC Vic Fangio sounds pretty good.

Archived