MNF- Bengals/Steelers

Johnny Nix

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Here's the thing, Gio's injury last year was very unfortunate, it was obviously helmet to helmet contact.  Was it an intentional injury? I don't believe so.  It was unfortunate.  Was the injury to Shazier last night intentional? Obviously not, it was caused by poor tackling technique.  Was the injury to Burfict last night intentional? I don't believe so, he led with his shoulder but still made helmet to helmet contact.  The taunting was very unnecessary.

I love when Bengals fans refer to the Steelers as dirty..  Vontaze Burfict is the dirtiest player in the league.  His hit on Brown last year was arguably extremely intentional.  The guy yelling Karma, the ONLY GUY, was the same guy Burfict accused of "Faking" the injury.  What do you expect? JuJu Smith, the guy actually making the hit was owning up to his mistake and apologizing.  Did Burfict apologize for any of the dirty crap he's done? Nope.  The Burfict hit was followed by a helmet to helmet hit on Brown, retribution? Maybe, maybe not.

Beyond the ridiculousness that became last nights unnecessary physicality it was a great game.  Last nights biggest failure was poorly timed personal fouls and penalties by Cincinnati.  The holding call on Gio, was ticky tacky, it was holding BUT typically the type that goes uncalled.  To be fair, the Bengals got away with a blatant PI in the endzone near the end of the game, which would've given us the ball on the 1 yard line to take the lead most likely.  So, ultimately that holding call might not have changed anything at all.  We will never know.

Here's my point, when emotions get high people do stupid crap.  We saw a lot of that last night.  It's a division rival game, its to be expected.  

Was it intentional?  not really, it was just shazier tackling with the crown of his helmet again.

Your Mitchell is right there with him..and shazier is a head hunting machine

What do I expect?  exactly what I saw

Listen.. I really don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying.. honestly

I am just so sick and tired of the Bengals being dirty and the stealers just playing good old hard nosed football when it's the exact same thing. I have been watching football for a long time and it's the same thing with this team year after year..new coach.. no matter same stuff..

It might not make me so mad... but they get away with it and then give a game given to them by the refs and ole marv (yea tired of losing)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Iloka get fined and JuJu get a stern talking (but high fives in the film room) to today

I gave you a like...but it's a half like

34 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Dre Kirkpatrick might be the worst starter on our team.  Which is saying a lot.

Dennard is going to walk this offseason because of the money spent on Dre.  Safe to say I was wrong in thinking Dre would be an Ok corner for us...

He is quickly becoming my least favorite Bengals player.

He gets burnt so often and on the rare occasion when he happens to make a play..he gets up and acts like he is the best ever and saved the Super Bowl!!

The celebration when he tackles someone 8 or 9 yards down field is always great too..

It will suck to see Dennard walk because of this dude

49 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Dre Kirkpatrick might be the worst starter on our team.  Which is saying a lot.

Dennard is going to walk this offseason because of the money spent on Dre.  Safe to say I was wrong in thinking Dre would be an Ok corner for us...

They already picked up the fifth year option on Dennard.  Or have I been sleeping too much (or clearly not nearly enough) and this is actually his fifth season?

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Was it intentional?  not really, it was just shazier tackling with the crown of his helmet again.

Your Mitchell is right there with him..and shazier is a head hunting machine

What do I expect?  exactly what I saw

Listen.. I really don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying.. honestly

I am just so sick and tired of the Bengals being dirty and the stealers just playing good old hard nosed football when it's the exact same thing. I have been watching football for a long time and it's the same thing with this team year after year..new coach.. no matter same stuff..

It might not make me so mad... but they get away with it and then give a game given to them by the refs and ole marv (yea tired of losing)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Iloka get fined and JuJu get a stern talking (but high fives in the film room) to today

I gave you a like...but it's a half like

You clearly think I'm trying to say that Shazier's helmet to helmet or Mitchells hits in the past are okay.  Not what I'm saying at all.  What I'm saying is this is the pot calling the kettle black.

IF there is an organization that has no business talking about poor character it's one that has been the house to numerous poor characters in its past.  Including Currently two of the dirtiest players in the league, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict which is absolutely undeniable.  

You're tired of hearing us make excuses and pointing the finger at you? I'm tired of hearing fans of other teams make excuses for their team like they do no wrong just the same.

Iloka deserves a fine, imo that was retribution for the hit on Vontaze.  Having said that JuJu also deserves a fine, the helmet contact imo wasn't intentional but it became inexcusable the moment he stood over an injured player and taunted him.  

Like you said, I agree with very little of what you said.  The Steelers have been getting away with it for years? Have we? Really?  As far as I can remember, Harrison has been fined and suspended for his hits in the past, he also cleaned up his play.

Mitchell, Ward, and Shazier have also been fined in the past for hits.  They're not the only ones.  As far as flags, these officials in the NFL are attrocious.  I don't believe there was even a flag on the hit that Gronk laid down, that pretty much sums up the real issue there, it's not a player problem it's an officiating problem.

What the Bengals need imo is a new coach that'll cease to tolerate the bullish attitude of Pacman Jones and Vontaze Burfict because those two guys have a strong tendency to be the thorn in the side of the Bengals far too often.

Does any of that make the Steelers innocent? Of course not.  I don't want to see players get injured, but its undeniable, when emotions run high, these players do a lot of stupid crap.  There's not a single team in the league that logic doesn't apply to.

47 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

He is quickly becoming my least favorite Bengals player.

He gets burnt so often and on the rare occasion when he happens to make a play..he gets up and acts like he is the best ever and saved the Super Bowl!!

The celebration when he tackles someone 8 or 9 yards down field is always great too..

It will suck to see Dennard walk because of this dude

I've never understood that.  I've seen Steelers players do it too.  Give up a 15 yard gain and celebrate like they just won a Gold Medal.  WTF?  Dude, you do realize you just gave up 15 yards right?

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Including Currently two of the dirtiest players in the league, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict which is absolutely undeniable.

Not to nit-pick because I do agree with you, but how is Pacman a dirty player?  He's a POS human being off the field, and has the maturity of a 3 year old but I wouldn't say anything he does ON the field is dirty...

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You clearly think I'm trying to say that Shazier's helmet to helmet or Mitchells hits in the past are okay.  Not what I'm saying at all.  What I'm saying is this is the pot calling the kettle black.

IF there is an organization that has no business talking about poor character it's one that has been the house to numerous poor characters in its past.  Including Currently two of the dirtiest players in the league, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict which is absolutely undeniable.  

You're tired of hearing us make excuses and pointing the finger at you? I'm tired of hearing fans of other teams make excuses for their team like they do no wrong just the same.

Iloka deserves a fine, imo that was retribution for the hit on Vontaze.  Having said that JuJu also deserves a fine, the helmet contact imo wasn't intentional but it became inexcusable the moment he stood over an injured player and taunted him.  

Like you said, I agree with very little of what you said.  The Steelers have been getting away with it for years? Have we? Really?  As far as I can remember, Harrison has been fined and suspended for his hits in the past, he also cleaned up his play.

Mitchell, Ward, and Shazier have also been fined in the past for hits.  They're not the only ones.  As far as flags, these officials in the NFL are attrocious.  I don't believe there was even a flag on the hit that Gronk laid down, that pretty much sums up the real issue there, it's not a player problem it's an officiating problem.

What the Bengals need imo is a new coach that'll cease to tolerate the bullish attitude of Pacman Jones and Vontaze Burfict because those two guys have a strong tendency to be the thorn in the side of the Bengals far too often.

Does any of that make the Steelers innocent? Of course not.  I don't want to see players get injured, but its undeniable, when emotions run high, these players do a lot of stupid crap.  There's not a single team in the league that logic doesn't apply to.

Well there is at least one thing that we are in total agreement.

9 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Well there is at least one thing that we are in total agreement.

Like I said, you look around the league, through history, Rodney Harrison, James Harrison, Vontaze Burfict, Ndamkong Suh, the list goes on and on and on, there's been a lot of "Dirt" and I'm not defending any of it.  But this is a game fueled by emotion.  I didn't see anything last night that I didn't expect.  

The difference is in the eyes of the typical nfl fan (and announcer, and talking head, and ref, etc). The steelers are a team that plays very hard and has a history of toughness while the bengals are a team full of thugs that play dirty all the time.

When Williams said he was going to put a bullet in Burfict on the street did it even get into the national conversation? Has a questionable play by a bengal ever had a benefit to the team in a game a la the Shazier hit on Gio where the only thing the refs needed to discuss was whether he should be rewarded a touchdown or not to go along with the turnover? Ward breaks Rivers’ jaw and it later becomes a foul. Kimo dives into Carson’s knee and it is determined later that it is a penalty (after it later happens to Brady). Mitchell celebrates helmet to helmet hits that send off a player for the game (which get flagged) but it doesn’t even get mentioned in highlights or dialogue. Contrast that with Burfict who deserves some form of ‘karma’ for the same plays that made the sterling reputation of the steelers a decade or two ago.

i get it though, the steelers have rings so they must be doing it right while the bengals narrative has been bound to losing and melting down which leads one to point the finger at Burfict. 

Even with Ben the white mamba’s past off the field transgressions and Porter’s crap they still are covered under the national love fest for the steelers because they win. And because the bengals lose in shameful and embarrass ways they get blamed for the over-the-line play. Hell when Harrison played his year with the bengals he had four times his yearly average in personal fouls versus when wearing yellow pants.

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

JuJu Smith, the guy actually making the hit was owning up to his mistake and apologizing. 

i dunno, an apology a few hours later after standing over the guy and taunting him doesn't seem very sincere.

Look, here's the thing.  Both sides are wrong.  There are good guys here.  The Bengals aren't good guys.  The Steelers aren't good guys.  We can argue intentional hits or not, but the fact is that these hits come more often in these games - from both sides.

The only way this stops is for one team to be the "bigger man", and rise above it.  Play a clean game, and cut out the pre-game/post-game crap.  That means stop calling guys out on twitter, stop yelling inflammatory things in the post game locker room, etc.  Just drop it all.  Move on.

But they won't.

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm tired of both sides pointing fingers at each other.  Everyone needs to cut this crap out.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

The only way this stops is for one team to be the "bigger man", and rise above it.  Play a clean game, and cut out the pre-game/post-game crap.  That means stop calling guys out on twitter, stop yelling inflammatory things in the post game locker room, etc.  Just drop it all.  Move on.

I couldn't DISAGREE more.  It actually takes both sides to stop it.  I know Marvin has tried to put an end to it every time we play, but all it takes is one hit to re-ignite the extra vengeance in every tackle.  Mike Tomlin was asked about the JuJu hit, and his replay was "Well, that's the way we play football".  That's all I need to hear.  So why should we sit there and take it?  I'm perfectly fine with Iloka's hit, because it's about flipping time that someone besides Burfict stands up for their teammates.  It's the same logic as school's punishing the victim of a bullying situation because they finally had enough of it.  The Steelers try to out-bully their opponents all the time.  how many cheap shots did Kizer take earlier this season?

Archived