Geno Smith to Start

Go_Giants

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Geno-Smith-to-start-at-quarterback-on-Sunday/872f0ace-87aa-47f4-b414-e842df8b2b5f

From the Giants website itself. I am one of those in the camp that we need to spend our first round pick on a QB. Despite that I think this being cruel to Eli. Plus we need to see Davis starting not Geno.  I hope Geno only gets one game and Davis the rest.

Terrible decision to go with Geno and not Webb. We know what Geno is.

So sad for Eli though. Terrible to scapegoat him like this when he is far from the issue. At least they allowed him to surpass Peyton's consecutive start streak.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

So humiliate Manning so we might have a marginally better draft pick?

I agree Eli deserves better, but look at how many teams out there have 3-4 losses out there.  This could be the difference between having the 3rd pick and the 9th pick, that is a big deal.

Just now, Go_Giants said:

I agree Eli deserves better, but look at how many teams out there have 3-4 losses out there.  This could be the difference between having the 3rd pick and the 9th pick, that is a big deal.

I mean this with no disrespect intended, but which games that the Giants have remaining do you feel would lead to a win if Eli was at the helm? I assume this has to have been blessed by both Reese and the ownership because I cannot understand how any coach would voluntarily put his job on the line like this otherwise.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I mean this with no disrespect intended, but which games that the Giants have remaining do you feel would lead to a win if Eli was at the helm? I assume this has to have been blessed by both Reese and the ownership because I cannot understand how any coach would voluntarily put his job on the line like this otherwise.

How about the Raider who will probably be with out both their starting wideouts. 

Just now, Go_Giants said:

How about the Raider who will probably be with out both their starting wideouts. 

Fair enough. Both teams will have an equally depleted WR corps. This in turn brings out the possible nightmare scenario for the tanking crowd: the Giants win.

Very very sad day as a fan. Eli doesn't deserve this and he is definitely not to blame for where we're at this season. I loved his quote. He very obviously is pissed off but explains in a great way that the streak does mean a lot to him. So much so that he doesn't want to just keep it alive officially without "being the guy". Dude has an incredible amount of pride and I think he made the right choice. 

As far as the argument of Geno vs. Davis Webb for Sunday, they are absolutely doing the right thing here. There are 5 games left. That is more than enough to get a legit sample size of both QBs. The Giants stand to save $9.8mil against the cap if they cut Eli in the offseason. That means they need to evaluate Geno AND Webb to determine if either can hold down the fort / become the man long-term. 

I'm hoping they don't cut Eli and give him the job back in 2018 because I believe he will give them the best chance to win next year regardless of who ends up on the roster but they are giving themselves the option of much greater cap flexibility.

But anyone who is happy about this move is not a true Giants fan. Eli deserves to be playing and deserve all respect from the organization and fans.  

Archived