Geno Smith to Start

Go_Giants

Here's my theory and feel free to call me silly about it. I think Mcadoo went crying to Reese and Mara that his offensive scheme is not the issue. That it's failing because Eli isn't executing it properly. So Mara is allowing this as a "prove it" last ditch effort for Mcadoo to save his hide. As Eli said they approached him about still starting but giving way to Geno and Webb and Eli is the one who made the ultimate decision to just be benched. Which by the way is all class on his part.

So when Geno and Webb struggle all the same Mara will have all the ammo he needs to ax Mcadoo and Reese and start fresh... and at the same time tanks to guarantee a top 5 pick. Problem is in the meantime he's alienated the best QB this franchise has ever had.

Now I've been on record with this and I still believe that Eli is on the decline and his inaccuracy DOES undermine Mcadoo's West Coast based offense. He must hit these receivers in stride on the underneath routes and allow them to gain YAC. They shouldn't have to make acrobatic catches on a 5 yard slant. Eli has to shoulder a portion of blame for this failed season but it's far less blame then Reese, Mcadoo, and Sullivan should get.

Right now he's the scapegoat (unfairly) and Geno and Webb won't do much better because the team has mostly quit, there are hardly any receiving threats, Geno is a very average QB and Webb is going to have to go through his growing pains, and in all honestly Mcadoo's scheme is piss poor vanilla. So in a way.. it's the right move for Mara but at the same time it's a horribly bad move.

Giants had no moves if they wanted to see if Webb will be the future. It sucks, but it was a necessary move if Eli didn't want to play to be benched at halftime. Geno will start this week and maybe next week. We use Webb for the final 2 or 3 games after he starts getting more practice reps.

Seeing Eli fighting back tears is pretty heart-wrenching.  He's had his ups and downs but it's been one hell of a ride. 

Giants fans who disagree and still trash him after all these years are whiny *******.  Go be Cowboys fans and celebrate your passer-rating records and your "Tony and Philip would've won like 6 Super Bowlz with those uber-talented teams"

I don't think it's Eli's inability to execute the offense. For one Eli's short accuracy has never been very good. Secondly while I agree his ball placement on those throws can be an issue, it's an even bigger issue because little mistakes like that kill drives due to who we have surrounding him. I think his accuracy issues are minuscule in the grand scheme of things. I still believe with solid protection he can still be a pretty good QB.

8 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Here's my theory and feel free to call me silly about it. I think Mcadoo went crying to Reese and Mara that his offensive scheme is not the issue. That it's failing because Eli isn't executing it properly. So Mara is allowing this as a "prove it" last ditch effort for Mcadoo to save his hide. As Eli said they approached him about still starting but giving way to Geno and Webb and Eli is the one who made the ultimate decision to just be benched. Which by the way is all class on his part.

So when Geno and Webb struggle all the same Mara will have all the ammo he needs to ax Mcadoo and Reese and start fresh... and at the same time tanks to guarantee a top 5 pick. Problem is in the meantime he's alienated the best QB this franchise has ever had.

Now I've been on record with this and I still believe that Eli is on the decline and his inaccuracy DOES undermine Mcadoo's West Coast based offense. He must hit these receivers in stride on the underneath routes and allow them to gain YAC. They shouldn't have to make acrobatic catches on a 5 yard slant. Eli has to shoulder a portion of blame for this failed season but it's far less blame then Reese, Mcadoo, and Sullivan should get.

Right now he's the scapegoat (unfairly) and Geno and Webb won't do much better because the team has mostly quit, there are hardly any receiving threats, Geno is a very average QB and Webb is going to have to go through his growing pains, and in all honestly Mcadoo's scheme is piss poor vanilla. So in a way.. it's the right move for Mara but at the same time it's a horribly bad move.

Geno said he was getting hugs and congratulations from teammates. I don't think the Giants players have quit in general. They just quit on the struggle offense. If Geno plays well the team will play hard. Giants' players were laughing and joking during Eli's tear-jerking interview. They seem to be happy.

2 hours ago, celestial said:

Geno said he was getting hugs and congratulations from teammates. I don't think the Giants players have quit in general. They just quit on the struggle offense. If Geno plays well the team will play hard. Giants' players were laughing and joking during Eli's tear-jerking interview. They seem to be happy.

Yeah the locker room was pretty loud during Eli's interview. But I can't believe they have no respect for Eli. Perhaps it is just a Millennial thing and most of them just did not notice?

17 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I seriously doubt we'd be in this mess if they had addressed the offensive line issues, but let's see who else we have at quarterback, because that is clearly the problem.  Really starting to hate this front office.  

There are many issues for our colossal disaster. Not just the OL. You should have started to hate the FO a few years ago...

Was going to make my own thread for this but Ill avoid cluttering your forum.

I am a Cowboys fan, true and through. But also a New Yorker born, bred and still here. Ive gotten to see every throw Eli has ever made. Many of them live, even. I was there for some big games, even.

And while the Cowboys fan in me wants to laugh, the coach in me (former college and hs coach) and football fan in me is far more realistic than that. And I hope that educated football guy in me can offer some positive perspectives on Eli and what has happened here.

First off, Eli is exactly what Jason Garrett preaches for my Cowboys: The Right Kind Of Guy. Always accountable, always even keeled. Never a finger pointed. Never a disgruntled tone. Just a cool headed, clear minded, team first guy. That alone is class all in its own.

Say what you will of his play. The things he did well are vastly underrated, and the things he didnt do well were somehow very overrated by media and fan alike. Im not here to get into any of that though. It is completely irrelevant to what I want to say here. The man has accomplished a lot and was part of two championship teams, good plays and bad included.

If this is the end of his run as a player, or even as a Giant, its sad. Because its a sad day in football. Personally I dont think hes all amazing. But hes done so much and has been an exceptional football guy for 13 years. Any real football fan should take.their hats off to any career like the one Eli has had in NY.

BUT, and heres a big BUT!

What if this move is just to prevent catastrophic injury? The kind of injury that would prevent Eli from starting or even playing at all next season, making that one as much a wash as this one had been? What if this is just a way to protect the investment and take another crack at this with Eli, Beckham and that defense next year with all healthy and accounted for..and not a way to cast off Eli and move on to the next era before this one has even ended?

Sometimes things are not so black and white, and are far grayer than people realize. And Im not sure why this is not a bigger theory across WFAN, the news papers, espn, etc. Well, likely cause that wont sell as many papers or ratings as pure outrage over a headline reading "Eli Done in NY" but the truth is it is a very real possibility that makes total sense (to sit him and protect him for next year) And if Eli is done..well, hats off to him and his career in NY. 

But don't buy into the medias headlines just yet, guys. Their job is to make you tune in, not to tell the less entertaining likelihood.

As for tanking theories..

Have those saying this ever competed seriously at a serious level in their entire life? No real competitor tanks over a few draft slots.

Even worse, doing so would likely ensure no one ever hires that staff, front office or even those players involved ever again. 

Archived