Darren Waller Traded to the Giants

big_palooka

Was expecting someone to be traded from the receiving core after Meyers. Am I right in thinking that we couldn’t trade away Renfrow’s dead cap whereas we have next to no cap hit trading Waller?

Cant say I’m too fussed now. I wasn’t ready to move on from him last year - but he really was a let down this season. Unavailable and then just seemed less tuned in. Something didn’t seem right.

The question is (as it is with any move) can they make use of the return? Can they turn the pick or cap savings into a serviceable (and healthy) TE and then add something to another part of the team?

E.g. if they hit on a 3rd round TE to go with the Meyer’s pickup - it’s a plus move. They’ve got to hit on these mid round picks!!! ‘‘Twas ever thus

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

freeing up cap in future years though . . . 
for all the things said about them believing in Carr and giving him big money only for him to fall on his face . . and forced to be cut.. . 
same thing can be said about Waller. . . and i fear, but renfrow. 

The only people they paid and livedup to it were DA and Maxx

Yea but I feel like we are perpetually stuck in this cycle tho

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

freeing up cap in future years though . . . 
for all the things said about them believing in Carr and giving him big money only for him to fall on his face . . and forced to be cut.. . 
same thing can be said about Waller. . . and i fear, but renfrow. 

The only people they paid and livedup to it were DA and Maxx

Tbh I am not too disappointed with losing Waller, I think we have seen the best of him.

I do think it’s better to get rid a year early rather than a year late, might well be a year late though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Tbh I am not too disappointed with losing Waller, I think we have seen the best of him.

I do think it’s better to get rid a year early rather than a year late, might well be a year late though. 

I mean, i blasted waller many times throughout the season, drop against Cards, 2 drops against Tenn, then just not playing. . .
But IFFF healthy and focused, he is a top 3 TE.
but i guess they only want 1 injury prone person on the O

Should've traded him to GB last season when they were desperate. Pick 100 is no slouch though - guys fall all the time and an FO worth their salt will find a starter at that range. Can Dave do so? We'll see.  

Just now, BackinBlack said:

But IFFF healthy and focused, he is a top 3 TE.

For sure. Problem is those days are few and far between, not to mention he's only getting older and the thing that makes him top 3 (His athleticism) will age vey poorly over age (31 soon) and his injury history. When Waller loses his speed he won't be useful. He can't block and his hands are iffy as is. Add in all this drama of milking injuries,  being upset at McD about his wedding, etc and it's obvious it's time to pul the plug.

We're getting great value and jumping ship before it's too late. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Am I right in thinking that we couldn’t trade away Renfrow’s dead cap whereas we have next to no cap hit trading Waller?

Think it is something like $660,000 dead cap for trading Waller and would be as below for Renfrow:

PRE-6/1 TRADE

• 2023 Dead Cap: $7,344,000
  • 2023 Cap Savings: $5,782,000

POST-6/1 RELEASE

• 2023 Dead Cap: $6,156,000
  • 2024 Dead Cap: $5,508,000
  • 2023 Cap Savings: $6,970,000

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

For sure. Problem is those days are few and far between, not to mention he's only getting older and the thing that makes him top 3 (His athleticism) will age vey poorly over age (31 soon) and his injury history. When Waller loses his speed he won't be useful. He can't block and his hands are iffy as is. Add in all this drama of milking injuries,  being upset at McD about his wedding, etc and it's obvious it's time to pul the plug.

We're getting great value and jumping ship before it's too late. 

for sure, this is just another sign though that we are going into rebuild mode, with eyes set on 2024 rather than 23. 
I am fine with it, just please do it properly. 

But next thing I know theyll trade for some 32 year old patriot LBer or something and give him big gtds lol

• Like 1