2018 Salary Cap and List of 2018 FAs

The_Slamman

I'm really hoping that Lawrence finally got healthy and this is who he truly is as a player...and it's not just a result of him being in a contract year.

If it's the former, and we're able to get a in-shape Gregory back next year....going to be exciting. 

This will be interesting there are a few areas that we could go, but I would like to think resigning Gregory rather then a franchise tag is the answer here..  we also need to resign Ladouceur, Cooper, Looney   Hitchens at the right price  same for Paea as back up..

and as far as Dak I don't understand the dislike...   YES he has a number of weaknesses but so do almost all young QB's in the league  His numbers 22 TD to 13 int is very good for a young QB who was with out his main weapon for almost half the season.   While one weakness is the deep ball I had to look at stats a bit he had more 20 yard passes his rook season then this year.. I personally blame the OL and lake of Zeke for that stat... (he got sacked more this year.. more pressure more sacks more interceptions less time to throw deep balls)

I also feel Sunday's game showed that while Butler has a ton of issues he has always been valuable as a deep route pass catcher..  even with his limited targets this year (24) he is second on the team in 20 plus catches 7 to Dez 8.  This tells me if we would have used him more on deep routes.

6 hours ago, quiller said:

This will be interesting there are a few areas that we could go, but I would like to think resigning Gregory rather then a franchise tag is the answer here..  we also need to resign Ladouceur, Cooper, Looney   Hitchens at the right price  same for Paea as back up..

and as far as Dak I don't understand the dislike...   YES he has a number of weaknesses but so do almost all young QB's in the league  His numbers 22 TD to 13 int is very good for a young QB who was with out his main weapon for almost half the season.   While one weakness is the deep ball I had to look at stats a bit he had more 20 yard passes his rook season then this year.. I personally blame the OL and lake of Zeke for that stat... (he got sacked more this year.. more pressure more sacks more interceptions less time to throw deep balls)

I also feel Sunday's game showed that while Butler has a ton of issues he has always been valuable as a deep route pass catcher..  even with his limited targets this year (24) he is second on the team in 20 plus catches 7 to Dez 8.  This tells me if we would have used him more on deep routes.

Dak’s weakness is passing in general. That seemed pretty obvious this season. 

On 1/2/2018 at 11:49 PM, plan9misfit said:

Dak’s weakness is passing in general. That seemed pretty obvious this season. 

You called it.   You were unhappy when we drafted him.    I thought he might be a good qb in a couple years.    I don't understand why he is afraid to put some air under the ball.  Maybe he thinks he will miss the receiver so bad it will be embarrassing.     I have a feeling we are doomed to mediocrity, since Cowboys brass is gonna go with Dak and not take another qb.   We might as well trade Dez.   

On 1/2/2018 at 12:13 AM, Desperado82 said:

I'm really hoping that Lawrence finally got healthy and this is who he truly is as a player...and it's not just a result of him being in a contract year.

If it's the former, and we're able to get a in-shape Gregory back next year....going to be exciting. 

We should franchise Lawrence.   Make him show he can do it for more than one year.   Gregory is like Josh Gordon.   Can't count on that.   IMO,  he has to earn his way back to first team reps. 

On 1/4/2018 at 2:36 PM, SweetFancyMoses said:

You called it.   You were unhappy when we drafted him.    I thought he might be a good qb in a couple years.    I don't understand why he is afraid to put some air under the ball.  Maybe he thinks he will miss the receiver so bad it will be embarrassing.     I have a feeling we are doomed to mediocrity, since Cowboys brass is gonna go with Dak and not take another qb.   We might as well trade Dez.   

Honestly I understand the hate this season on Dak but we must remember that he is a 2nd year player. Surely he regressed this year but our offense as a whole regressed. Mix that with the play calling at times and the lack of protection he was given while missing the main player that makes this offense successful is tough for young QB to deal with. Now he isn’t without blame either. He misses some throws and never pushes the ball down field and makes poor reads but i think he wants to protect the ball and play safe mistake free football. He’s just hesitant to sling the ball. Dak is never going to be the type of player to take over a game. He is always going to need a tone setting run game to be successful. If he can somehow recapture the magic he had last year with zeke back a full season we’ll be fine. I just think it’s too early to throw this guy away one year removed from rookie of the year. He needs help and if he gets that help and falls flat then sure it’s time to move on but give him an actual opportunity to be successful with some weapons and options in this offense. The receivers we do have are old or underperformers across the board. 

On 1/4/2018 at 2:38 PM, SweetFancyMoses said:

We should franchise Lawrence.   Make him show he can do it for more than one year.   Gregory is like Josh Gordon.   Can't count on that.   IMO,  he has to earn his way back to first team reps. 

It'd kinda be the same issue if we put the tag on him. 1 year deal, knows he needs to play to get paid. I'd rather give him an extension but structure it in such a way that we can move on after so many years if he is just a one-year wonder. 

I agree, I wouldn't count on Gregory and would make him work for a starting job again, but it would be great to at least have him here.

If we tag D-Law and let him play out the year at $17.5M or whatever, then we basically can’t create meaningful cap room without restructuring Tyron for the 4th year in a row or moving on from Dez.

So I mean you’re basically betting on Tyron’s back to last longer than Lawrence’s, or this team to find viable pass catchers with limited resources, if you don’t want to give D-Law a backloaded 5 years/$75-80M or so. I would just give him the extension unless he’s asking for Von Miller money.

12 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

If we tag D-Law and let him play out the year at $17.5M or whatever, then we basically can’t create meaningful cap room without restructuring Tyron for the 4th year in a row or moving on from Dez.

So I mean you’re basically betting on Tyron’s back to last longer than Lawrence’s, or this team to find viable pass catchers with limited resources, if you don’t want to give D-Law a backloaded 5 years/$75-80M or so. I would just give him the extension unless he’s asking for Von Miller money.

Exactly. Part of the reason why we kept sitting in cap hell is because of the obsession with signing guys to idiotic contracts and then restructuring them every year. Look no further than Romo’s albatross contract. Why repeat the same mistakes? 

5 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Exactly. Part of the reason why we kept sitting in cap hell is because of the obsession with signing guys to idiotic contracts and then restructuring them every year. Look no further than Romo’s albatross contract. Why repeat the same mistakes? 

Well, I mean, yes and no. A backloaded contract structure for Lawrence, which I’m advocating for, isn’t that different from a restructure. Either way you’re robbing future caps and praying the player doesn’t fall off. We never restructured Dez and his contract is very bad.

But yes, this is all a function of bad cap management in the past. I actually think the Greg Hardy contract is underrated on this front- mostly because no one wants to think of him and that season. We restructured Romo and backloaded Dez just to squeeze him in. That, uh, failed on several fronts.

18 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I’d prefer not to because it would eat up most of our available cap room. We’d be forced to restructure multiple contracts if we want to do anything in free agency.

I agree here. We are just starting to get better cap situation and shouldnt repeat the same things that have earned us cap hell. The idea of signing Lawrence is nice but there’s no way to have him accept less to return so we are left with no option than franchise him which I also don’t like. I wouldn’t be opposed to letting him walk if talks don’t go our way. Granted he was a force this year but other than performing in a contract year he has underwhelmed. Why sign another guy to a huge contract and underperform if history repeats itself.

I wouldn't be worried about DLaw being a one hit wonder. I'd be more worried about his health. I mean, it's not like DLaw has played this whole time and just NOW started being a good DE. He has played well every time he's played. He, like Sean Lee, is just injury prone as hell. He was our best pass rusher in the playoffs during his rookie year after missing most of the season. His 2nd year he went on that hot streak of 8 sacks in 8 games but still only played 13 total. He basically missed all of last season. 1 sack in 3 games. Then this year, he got banged up a little, but played every game for the first time and dominated. 

I wouldn't worry about DLaw suddenly being bad at football, and any notion that he has only played well during a contract year is bogus. He just needs to stay healthy. He has been good, even great, in non contract years. We just can't keep him healthy. 

He needs a contract. A long one. It just needs to be structured like Sean Lees with injury clause

32 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I wouldn't be worried about DLaw being a one hit wonder. I'd be more worried about his health. I mean, it's not like DLaw has played this whole time and just NOW started being a good DE. He has played well every time he's played. He, like Sean Lee, is just injury prone as hell. He was our best pass rusher in the playoffs during his rookie year after missing most of the season. His 2nd year he went on that hot streak of 8 sacks in 8 games but still only played 13 total. He basically missed all of last season. 1 sack in 3 games. Then this year, he got banged up a little, but played every game for the first time and dominated. 

I wouldn't worry about DLaw suddenly being bad at football, and any notion that he has only played well during a contract year is bogus. He just needs to stay healthy. He has been good, even great, in non contract years. We just can't keep him healthy. 

He needs a contract. A long one. It just needs to be structured like Sean Lees with injury clause

Why in the hell did I blank on the injury thing with him? :$

Archived