2018 Salary Cap and List of 2018 FAs

The_Slamman

21 minutes ago, ware94 said:

They need a Tyreek Hill/speedster-type to replace T-Will that will stretch the defense. That opens up Dez, Beasley, and the running game. That is the missing piece on this offense.

I do think that would help open it up but until Dak shows he is willing and capable of throwing the deep ball (other than when plays break down) than that receiver will be useless in our offense.

I think we need to focus on receivers who can get open, either by pure speed or route running. Keenan Allen and Landry come to mind as receivers that are not overly fast but find ways to get open. I believe that suits Dak more than getting a Tyreek Hill type. In my opinion Dak is not as good as Romo as throwing receivers open and taking that risk. All of our receivers are more "Romo Friendly" big bodied receivers that can shield the defender away and make contested catches. The fact that are receivers cannot gain separation, I believe hurts Dak and the offense. We have to get receivers that can get open until Dak develops that area of his game.

1 hour ago, Desperado82 said:

Maybe the reason Dak hasn’t shown a willingness to throw the deep ball is because we don’t have that kind of player on the team?

Fair point. I was basing my point compared to Romo. Same talent around them but Romo took more shots downfield because he could put the ball in certain places that Dak doesn't do as of right now.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Anyone have a wishlist?

Do we sign any big name free agents or do we keep signing lower level guys and then releasing them half way through the year?

Keep DLaw and Hitch.  Add a NT...Logan or Lotulelei would be really nice. 

Playing cheap in FA has done little to nothing to improve team. Think that changes this off season. Don't think they look tier 1 guys, but they aren't going with the leftovers either. 

I know people talk about finding all sorts of needs in the draft. But we only have so many picks that can be contributors from the early season. Learning what should take priority and what can wait or be patched up with a bandaid until later is key.

Finding a deep threat is a X factor for sure. But I dont consider it a need for this team unless that player can fill other roles as well. I hear DT is a need, DE, WR, TE, RT, LG, LB, SS, FS. We seem to have a number of them that should be fixed with something. But again we only have a limited number of draft picks, so instead of saying we need this, this, and this all of which seem to be in a concentrated area. Instead pick a position within a group then move on to a different slightly less needy then the previous one. So if you are asking what is needed more, learn to push one to the side as a 2nd option.

TE/WR

OT/OG

DE/DT

LB/S

Above are related positions in the general terms. I am of the opinion that if you should select one that you should no longer consider the other a high priority unless you are just that desperate in those general areas. 

So if we are thinking that a LB is our greatest need then we should aim for one. H/e if we instead pick a safety like Derwin because he fell much farther then he should have. I would push the LB position to the side and move on to our next greatest need. Only exception to this rule is if such a player dropped much farther then anticipated would I make an exception. But I think following this type of mindset in the draft would help eliminate weaknesses instead of creating new ones if we overloaded a position. That idea is fine if the unit is in a really bad spot like our offensive line was like 5 years ago. But other then that, no. 

1. LB

2. DE

3. OL- Because I think BPA wouldn't matter because it would goes such a long ways to help us protect better. So if Nelson or Conner Williams dropped I would hop on them in a heart beat. 

4. TE

5. WR- BPA really.

The other positions or key positions could be addressed in FA. 

On 12/27/2017 at 2:49 PM, WizardHawk said:

Keep DLaw and Hitch.  Add a NT...Logan or Lotulelei would be really nice. 

Playing cheap in FA has done little to nothing to improve team. Think that changes this off season. Don't think they look tier 1 guys, but they aren't going with the leftovers either. 

As des has pointed out, this year we actually have the money to break tendency.

It's easy to say that you are a bargain shopper when you only have $12M before the draft.  Let's see what they do now that they CAN do.

Also I had us taking Star Lotulelei's brother in the 3rd the other day. Would be cool to sign older bro and draft the younger one.

Interesting theory Cal. I agree it can be smart to build on areas of strength instead of just fill needs. Also feel positional designation can be overstated and overall role should be more of a consideration.

Ultimately the Cowboys need better line play and playmakers, on both sides. Depends who’s available.

Hate to give Plan props,  but I must channel Denny about Dak, and what we thought before he was drafted:

e39747407ef8a22bd3119797a5da661a093e1901

Stephen and Will have a decision to make.    1) Stay with Dak and get someone to teach him how to throw the ball over 10 yards(Romo?).    2) Stay with him and cut/trade Dez.   3)  Draft another qb early.   I would also add could we please go back to Dak under center, and Zeke in I formation, and beat the heck out of play action? Dez should be a killer in play action.

4 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It is going to be awesome when Gettleman cuts Odell and he signs with Dallas as a massive FU to the Giants.

I mean...maybe in Madden. I don't see them cutting him, and I don't see us signing him if they did.

Archived