Vikings sign CB Byron Murphy (2 years/$22m)

JDBrocks

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe a little exaggeration but there was a lot of questions as to why they signed a TE while a couple other corner backs got signed elsewhere

Ultimately how will the cost of this TE compare to Thielen? That’s the trade off. More 2 TE looks vs 3 WR looks. Or would we have been better off drafting the best blocking TE available in round 3 and 4 and keeping Thielen? Would Thielen be happy as the #3?

26 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe a little exaggeration but there was a lot of questions as to why they signed a TE while a couple other corner backs got signed elsewhere

The concern was paying a guy that plays about half the snaps that much money.... He gets more than their starting center. I think they outbid themselves by a couple million, give or take. He gets more than many starting DBs will get. 

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The concern was paying a guy that plays about half the snaps that much money.... He gets more than their starting center. I think they outbid themselves by a couple million, give or take. He gets more than many starting DBs will get. 

Per a lot of sources I've seen, Inline tight ends who can stay on the field in both passing and running downs are becoming rarer and more wanted by teams. Teams are trying to get ahead of the curve of lighter, faster defenses and trying to run more 12 personnel for matchup purposes.

We have no idea if they outbid themselves. That is just conjecture on your part because you dont like the signing. Being one of the deals announced on the first day of legal tampering period probably means there were a lot of teams after him. He wasn't an afterthought by the NFL, even if fans went "WTF" with the announced deal.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

We don't know how much playing time he'll get. If it helps the running game,  especially short yardage,  I think it'll be worth it

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

wow.

so like, this is only around a 5m 2023 cap hit, right?

Yep...it's a backloaded deal to see if he's healthy.  If not, then they can cut him before 2024.  If he is and performs well, potentially they could extend him. 

Edited by swede700

14 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah I hope we bring back Duke Shelley and then draft another top CB. This is a deep CB class and the top 5 players are all great. I hope we get either one of: Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon, Banks or Forbes. CB is the most important position on defense. 

Sleeping on Ringo

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Evans and Booth were both drafted for Donatells scheme. Are they a fit for the new scheme? 

Booth is a much better fit for Flores Defense than he was Donatell's   Both is a far better CB when playing in Man, hopefully that stays true

1 minute ago, Boda said:

Sleeping on Ringo

They may be, because I haven't seen them connected to him at all, either via interview or invite.  Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that they may end up drafting someone who they haven't contacted at all.

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They may be, because I haven't seen them connected to him at all, either via interview or invite.  Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that they may end up drafting someone who they haven't contacted at all.

The Vikings talked with Ringo at the combine