Zeke Released by Cowboys

textaz03

It still amazes me the devaluation of the position over the last 15 years or so. 20 years ago, you WANTED that premier back you NEEDED that premier back. And you paid to keep them. Now, you can find that same production utilizing multiple backs and practically anywhere in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

It still amazes me the devaluation of the position over the last 15 years or so. 20 years ago, you WANTED that premier back you NEEDED that premier back. And you paid to keep them. Now, you can find that same production utilizing multiple backs and practically anywhere in the draft. 

The league basically neutering defenses and allowing teams to be able to pass at ease has effectively phased out that "bell-cow" at the position. 

24 minutes ago, D82 said:

The league basically neutering defenses and allowing teams to be able to pass at ease has effectively phased out that "bell-cow" at the position. 

not quite rhe case the last two seasons. we have seen the return of fhe bellcow, with Najee Harris (last year not withstanding], Taylor, Jacobs, even Breece Hall.

Breaks my heart that Zeke likely leaves. But lets face it...all those carriers as a grind style runner going back to his first as a starter at Ohio State, then all of his carries and even 60 catch season in Dallas.. his knees are worn, his shiftyness is gone, and we whittled him down to a nub of his old self.

Hard to argue that perhaps outside of Tony D, Zeke was the most purely gifted runner the team may have ever had. Emmitt was just straight tough as nails with vision of a psychic. buf pure talent...Dorsett anx Zeke a close second.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

The issue with RBs isn’t the value of the running game.  Rather, it’s the shelf life of running backs.  Too many injuries, concussions, and specialization.  

Regardless, Zeke had a good run here.  His time should have come to an end last year.  But, he made us extremely competitive his rookie year.  I won’t miss him but I applaud his early years and wish him the best.

Edited by The_Slamman

2 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

The issue with RBs isn’t the value of the running game.  Rather, it’s the shelf life of running backs.  Too many injuries, concussions, and specialization.  

Why a RBC approach is the best method these days. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Why a RBC approach is the best method these days. 

Not so much. Really depends what you have available. I doubt KC would have said no to having Josh Jacobs over Pacheco and McKinnon. Pacheco and McKinnon just happened to be what they had available. You can win with a committee amd its worked for many the Patriots championship squads. But you can also win with a do it all, 25 touch trendsetter. But dk you devote cap resources to retaining them after that first 4 or 5 years? Thats been the quesrion. Sometimes it works out...sometimes it doesnt. It didnt in Dallas, but remember the kind of grinder Zeke has been and how many touches he had even in college. The bet was he wouldmt break down for 4 more years...he broke down in half the time, sadly. A gambld that paid out much shorter than we hoped.

just to toot my own horn...as with nearly everything I say on this forum that is extremely unpopular from common opinion...I told yall so LOL. Year before his payout (before my health hiatus) I was on here complaining about his lack of burst and finish. That he was grinding more then previous and lost his wiggle that kept him healthy despite his grinding. I was told I was blind, Zeke is the man! Well...i saw what you all see now, i just saw it ahead of time. Id never have paid him that new deal. Play on what yourenstill under contract for, or ride the bench. 

Edited by Dallas94Ware