Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Not sure. Odell's tweet of "4 aint enough" shows theres not much market for him. Sure he came into LA and did well for the Super Bowl winning Rams. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Eventually he would have ran himself out of there too. He's a huge DIVA. It's also not ironic that Baker and team took off when he went down for the year in 2020. 

I'm not saying Baker is this amazing QB like MTMMIKE is. But i'm willing to overlook a lot of 2021 bc he really shouldn't have been playing and last year was a mess started by the Browns who couldn't just let him go after the watson trade so he had some sort of offseason with his new team 

Odell being offered 4 while missing a whole year of football is still something. Mayfield just played a full season and thats all he got. 

9 hours ago, indifference said:

Odell being offered 4 while missing a whole year of football is still something. Mayfield just played a full season and thats all he got. 

yeah and Mayfield to me is still an accurate QB. Going to Cleveland where you have 3 coaches in 3 years and still make the playoffs is still something. He had 3 head coaches in one season last year lol. 7 total if you count the interim coach (forget who it was...)

Hue Jackson

Interim coach (dont recall)

Freddie Kitchens

Kevin Stefansky

Matt Ruhle,   then Interim

Sean mcVay

7 Head coaches in 5 years. Still won a playoff game. 

I'd say getting him at a max of 8 million is quite good. I'd say Baker at his best is pretty solid. If he fails - then whatever. It's not a risk. I'd still say theres something to salvage given that he played quite well under mcvay in a similar offense. 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns
  • Like 1

WOW. Too many are drinking the Stefanski/Haslam "kick the only Cleveland QB who has won a playoff game in over 20 years to the curb" Kool-Aid in here. Instead, they made him the scape goat of a disastrous season because he decided to try to play through injury. And Odell? He's a true diva and cancer in the locker room. So, they kicked him to the curb and gave a womanizer (who hadn't played football in about 2 years) $228 M GUARANTEED. Idiocy. 

Being a Sooner fan, I know who Mayfield is and is not.  He was OU's starter for 3 years and could have won Lincoln Riley his 1st (and only!) playoff win if Riley had not let off the gas in the 2nd half against Georgia. He is NOT a locker room problem. He IS a determined player who has always had to work for/earn what he had. Sure, he has a chip on his shoulder and because of that, he can be his own worst enemy in public relations. Give him a chance and you may just like what you see.

I for one, even though I am a 9er fan first, will be watching every game Baker starts. NFL+ is pretty nice, BTW. I will be hoping he can make the most of this opportunity and become Tampa Bay's next starting (and winning!) QB.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:12 PM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

He also couldn't ever get the ball to O'Dell and Jarvis, when he had a stud backfield (Chubb+Hunt), and very good OL

So let's just relax lol

Now that Mr. Dangerous is on the team I hope he kills it, but he definitely comes with question marks, or else he wouldn't be signing a 1 year prove it deal.

Translation they were 700 yard receivers without him

Also Bradford is a hof qb and he still stunk .

On 3/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Wait, you want me to only answer yes/no, but then you ask me what his record is against NFC teams? 

Since we're doing this...

What's his career record as a starter?

what's his career record against teams that are .500 or better?

(hint neither one is good)

No 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

yeah and Mayfield to me is still an accurate QB. Going to Cleveland where you have 3 coaches in 3 years and still make the playoffs is still something. He had 3 head coaches in one season last year lol. 7 total if you count the interim coach (forget who it was...)

Hue Jackson

Interim coach (dont recall)

Freddie Kitchens

Kevin Stefansky

Matt Ruhle,   then Interim

Sean mcVay

7 Head coaches in 5 years. Still won a playoff game. 

I'd say getting him at a max of 8 million is quite good. I'd say Baker at his best is pretty solid. If he fails - then whatever. It's not a risk. I'd still say theres something to salvage given that he played quite well under mcvay in a similar offense. 

Marcus Mariota won a playoff game that literally means nothing. Especially   when using context - Big Ben thew 4 picks in that one game. baker had one good season outta 5. Cant polish a turd no matter how shiny it is. Baker is an inaccurate qb and that’s never going to change. There’s a reason why Odell looked good on the Rams. Stafford can actually throw. Mayfield accurate?!? You wont find many brown fans agreeing to that. No way in hell you pandering for a journeyman qb. Justin Herbert has had like 3 different OC’s in his career and he is BALLING out. Its a lame excuse for Mayfield. 

$8Mil for a starting qb is awful money no matter how you try to slice it. Its bottom tier money and thats exactly what he is has proven so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I can't even follow what you ask half the time. Your posts are so discombobulated or make no effort to explain reason. 

I hope you understand this 

I did not understand a multiple choice question 

I did not understand yes or no 

I suggest you get your college money back because other people understand maybe ask them where they went.

Was just in meeting with my internet staff plus my internet booking company plus Google not 1 person said that they do not understand me.

Another proofread my websights

Have a good day.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I hope you understand this 

I did not understand a multiple choice question 

I did not understand yes or no 

I suggest you get your college money back because other people understand maybe ask them where they went.

Was just in meeting with my internet staff plus my internet booking company plus Google not 1 person said that they do not understand me.

Another proofread my websights

Have a good day.

Case and point with this post lol. 

3 hours ago, indifference said:

Marcus Mariota won a playoff game that literally means nothing. Especially   when using context - Big Ben thew 4 picks in that one game. baker had one good season outta 5. Cant polish a turd no matter how shiny it is. Baker is an inaccurate qb and that’s never going to change. There’s a reason why Odell looked good on the Rams. Stafford can actually throw. Mayfield accurate?!? You wont find many brown fans agreeing to that. No way in hell you pandering for a journeyman qb. Justin Herbert has had like 3 different OC’s in his career and he is BALLING out. Its a lame excuse for Mayfield. 

$8Mil for a starting qb is awful money no matter how you try to slice it. Its bottom tier money and thats exactly what he is has proven so far.

Lets be clear. Odell looked good on the Rams for half a season. There is only so much Odell you can tolerate. If things went south you can easily bet the distractions and antics will come. That is another piece of the puzzle why no one will give him a long term deal. 

Baker actually played quite well his rookie year. And there is this guy named Alex Smith who rejuvenated his career going through a similar mess of coaching changes. 

So yeah - this is a huge bargain with upside for the bucs. If he tanks - who else were you going to get? Couldn't afford Carr nor Jimmy G. That was obvious. Trask - well lol the guy barely beat out Ryan Griffin this year. I wouldn't mind drafting Hendon Hooker - but Bowles needs a guy who can compete now. Not in November while recovering from a knee injury. 

• Like 2