2023 Lions Roster

Louis Friend

On 3/15/2023 at 1:05 PM, Louis Friend said:

DE- Charles Harris/James Houston/Josh Paschal

DT- Alim McNeill/????????????

DT- Isaiah Buggs/????????????

DE- Aidan Hutchinson/John Cominsky/Romeo Okwara

LB- Malcolm Rodriguez/Derrick Barnes/Julian Okwara?

LB- Alex Anzalone/Anthony Pittman?

NB- Will Harris/Ifeatu Melifonwu

CB- Emmanuel Moseley/Jeff Okudah

S- CJ Gardner-Johnson/Tracy Walker

S- Kerby Joseph/C.J. Moore

CB- Cam Sutton/Jerry Jacobs/Chase Lucas

I'm feeling like the depth chart in the secondary is more like this:

LCB: Moseley, Okudah, Jacobs

SCB/NCB: Gardner-Johnson, Sutton, Harris, Lucas

RCB: Sutton

FSL: Walker, Gardner-Johnson

FSR: Joseph, Moore

Sutton has experience in the slot and could be spending some time there depending on things. However, CJGJ is a converted CB and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start at SCB (assuming Walker is coming back healthy). Moseley is essentially an outside only guy (at least from the snap counts), so we'd be needing someone to play opposite of him when Sutton slides in at SCB. 

However, two of these key guys are on 1 year deals and we're likely going to see Okudah elsewhere this time next year. We're probably looking at adding someone else, ideally 2nd or 3rd round guys that can develop and be ready for a starting gig next year who will play behind EM and CJGJ. 

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

Lions currently have 60+ signed on the roster and still have 8 draft picks. It's going to be interesting to see who Holmes cuts and/or if we're packaging some picks to move up in the draft.

There’s a lot of practice squad guys already signed. They get down to 53. Might have to some fringe guys. 

12 hours ago, General Tso said:

Lions currently have 60+ signed on the roster and still have 8 draft picks. It's going to be interesting to see who Holmes cuts and/or if we're packaging some picks to move up in the draft.

I don't see VaiTai or Stenburg being on the roster too much longer.  I think the Lions aggressiveness in upgrading their CB room speaks volumes about what they really think about the future of Jeff Okudah.  Jeff Okudah could be off the roster a lot sooner than people think.  

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't see VaiTai or Stenburg being on the roster too much longer.  I think the Lions aggressiveness in upgrading their CB room speaks volumes about what they really think about the future of Jeff Okudah.  Jeff Okudah could be off the roster a lot sooner than people think.  

Eh, I don’t think it does. Moseley and CJGJ only got one year deals. Both are great talents, but I don’t think signals any long term plans either way. I’ll be interested in if the Lions pick up Okudah’s fifth year option. 

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Eh, I don’t think it does. Moseley and CJGJ only got one year deals. Both are great talents, but I don’t think signals any long term plans either way. I’ll be interested in if the Lions pick up Okudah’s fifth year option. 

I doubt they pick it up. I think they'll let him play it out. If he plays worth a contract, then he's worth it.

That being said, I don't know how many snaps he'd see in the first play unless someone's injured or we're in dime. So it might be not be a large sample size.

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't think they'll pick up his 5th year option. I do think they'll give him the Daniel Jones treatment and hope that this motivates [Okudah].