Does the Rodgers trade REALLY solve NYJ's QB problem?

notthatbluestuff

No. They’ll do well because Rodgers is still amazing. They very likely won’t win it all because it’s super hard (but they might!). This may be the case next year or he may retire. If so, same thing.

But he will retire soon. If they win one, totally worth it. If not, it’s square one but with a way worse draft pick. 

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Wilson wasn't a rookie last season, but then he could have been a 5 year vet and still looked worse than the vast majority of rookie QBs.

He's a practice squad player. The Jets screwed themselves so bad when they won those meaningless games back in 2020.

Wow, that's right.  It has been two years.  Time sure does pass fast. 

• Like 1

I question Rodgers' decision to continue playing after the terrible year he had in 2022. If he really wanted to be in NYC he could work as a studio analyst on CBS.

As it stands, the Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL. And I don't think it's going to be snapped this year if Rodgers is their starter, given how the Packers missed the playoffs last year. What the Jets should do is try and convince Carolina to give them the #1 pick, which originally belonged to Chicago, so that the Jets can pick a good QB.

I think the Jets will be better offensively this year with Rogers but I don't think it solves many problems. Lets assume the Jets give up a first round pick to get Rogers, well that is a hole that isn't filled in the long term or short term. Lets assume that the Jets are better with Rogers now they will be picking later and it becomes more difficult to get the player you need or want but you only have Rogers for a year or two and have no way to get the guy that can replace him after he is gone and you are right back to searching for you guy but now you have a couple years where you weren't able to get the other pieces you need. There is also the salary cap and who do the Jets move on from to pay Rogers?

On second thought, Cooper Rush would be a good fit for the Jets. He did well in Dak's absence for the Cowboys last season. Jets should trade for Rush and if they get Rodgers too, the latter should be backup.

22 hours ago, jetjuice said:

When was the last time that an AR led team wasn't a Super Bowl contender going into the season?

I mean the man had won back to back MVPs the season before last. It probably feels unnatural to be talking about the Jets as Super Bowl contenders, but that would be the true objective.

So you feel making the JETS a super bowl contender is not worth pick 13 in the 2023 draft?

17 hours ago, pf9 said:

On second thought, Cooper Rush would be a good fit for the Jets. He did well in Dak's absence for the Cowboys last season. Jets should trade for Rush and if they get Rodgers too, the latter should be backup.

These posts get less and less serious 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:25 PM, Forge said:

Yes. 

That doesn't mean they are winning the super bowl though, and not winning the super bowl doesn't mean they didn't solve their QB problem. 

Short term, it's solved

So perfectly said. 

• Like 1

Another issue isn’t whether he will decline next year or if he’s already declining, it’s where he’ll be mentally after the season if you’re wanting him to help out your team a few years and give up according capital. 

4 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Another issue isn’t whether he will decline next year or if he’s already declining, it’s where he’ll be mentally after the season if you’re wanting him to help out your team a few years and give up according capital. 

Honestly, that’s a question for me for 2023, let alone 2024. If Rodgers is to be believed, he was nearly fully committed to retirement…and the major swing was that the Packers floated his name in trades? Like, is that really going to be enough to grind out another season?

In my eyes, Rodgers looked checked out last season. Maybe not in full “IDGAF” mode, but in a defeated way. He knew the team didn’t have the juice last year. And he didn’t exactly go out of his way that offseason to get the team together either. 

I dunno. There are enough yellow flags given where he seemed to be at last season, during 2022, and at the end of 2022, that I’ve got my hazards on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Honestly, that’s a question for me for 2023, let alone 2024. If Rodgers is to be believed, he was nearly fully committed to retirement…and the major swing was that the Packers floated his name in trades? Like, is that really going to be enough to grind out another season?

In my eyes, Rodgers looked checked out last season. Maybe not in full “IDGAF” mode, but in a defeated way. He knew the team didn’t have the juice last year. And he didn’t exactly go out of his way that offseason to get the team together either. 

I dunno. There are enough yellow flags given where he seemed to be at last season, during 2022, and at the end of 2022, that I’ve got my hazards on.

That is a piece of what getting this trade done sooner vs later is important for NYJ.  The longer Rodgers is out of the interactions with a new team, the more likely he isn't as invested in them. 

Maybe Rodgers uses the delay to take the initiative to get some NYJ players together for workouts, passing routes, audible checks, etc....but I'm doubting that happens.