Does the Rodgers trade REALLY solve NYJ's QB problem?

notthatbluestuff

11 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

I think that a trade will happen, but them flying out to see Rodgers isn't really that big of a deal for these guys. They have private jets, get to wine and dine someone (which includes themselves) and have more money than I can really comprehend. It would kinda be like a regular person taking the bus to go to Walmart, that's how little of a financial burden flying across the county would be for them.

It's not the money, it's their time. Billionaires don't get in the habit of donating their time (AND their money) to causes they're not invested in 

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

How is either of these for value...

13 + 2024 filler picks

Or

42 and 43 in 2023 + 2024 filler picks

Filler picks being 3-7 round type swaps

Without looking at any trade value charts and just going off gut id rather have 13. Yea you get 2 2nds which isnt nothing but id rather have a better chance at a legit guy

It may work out for a season or two, but then they'll be in QB carousel. 

Unfortunately, they didn't hit on their pick for Wilson, so their window for contention is extremely narrow compared to teams like KC, Cincy, or Buffalo. 

I thought they may be better off going for Carr. He's in that 10-15 range of QBs, which is all they really need to be competitive. He could also be their starter for longer, and he wouldn't cost a draft pick to acquire. Rodgers offers a higher ceiling, though, and I suppose they can target a QB like Carr after Rodgers retires in a year or two. 

Edited by WizeGuy

2nd in 2023 and a conditional 2nd that could become a first in 2024. Hang up is potential give back 2025 pick from GB to NY if Rodgers doesn't play in 2024

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-packers-jets-discussing-2-high-draft-picks-in-aaron-rodgers-trade-but-stuck-on-2024-protections-034812507.html

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

2nd in 2023 and a conditional 2nd that could become a first in 2024. Hang up is potential give back 2025 pick from GB to NY if Rodgers doesn't play in 2024

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-packers-jets-discussing-2-high-draft-picks-in-aaron-rodgers-trade-but-stuck-on-2024-protections-034812507.html

If they are asking for a anything below a 3rd I do it in a heartbeat. If it is a 3rd I at least think about pretty hard and a 2nd or higher is a no go. 

On 3/22/2023 at 6:50 PM, Towerbridge said:

Rodgers is still elite

Arm is.  Brain is either elite or pretty close.  His feet, God no.

Last year looked worse for him than he is due to the hurt thumb on his throwing hand.  And...not getting a lot of reps with his rookie WR's.  He skipped OTA's when they were present and then Watson got injured in camp and missed a ton of time.

If you want to get elite Rodgers again, he just needs to train his legs and core hard in the off-season and show up to OTA's to get timing with his new WR's and his new offense.  It honestly shouldn't be that hard to get elite level of play out of him again.  A lot of it is completely up to him.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Arm is.  Brain is either elite or pretty close.  His feet, God no.

Last year looked worse for him than he is due to the hurt thumb on his throwing hand.  And...not getting a lot of reps with his rookie WR's.  He skipped OTA's when they were present and then Watson got injured in camp and missed a ton of time.

If you want to get elite Rodgers again, he just needs to train his legs and core hard in the off-season and show up to OTA's to get timing with his new WR's and his new offense.  It honestly shouldn't be that hard to get elite level of play out of him again.  A lot of it is completely up to him.  

I think having a legitimate #1 WR again will help him out a lot too.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:04 AM, brownie man said:

I feel like he’s gotta give them two seasons with no questions on if he comes back

i could see the third one be a toss up but he’s gotta give them 2 years without bitching and complaining for this to be worth it. Gotta get a two year handshake agreement guarantee the contract if you have to. 

It would be easy to get two years out of him.  Maybe even more.  Aaron loves his stats.  With Wilson, I think he will love playing and getting stats.  I feel like your defense will give him wins, too.  So it'll be fun for him again.  He's never had a defensive minded head coach.  If Aaron can run an offense he likes and wants, while you surround him with talent that he likes at the skill positions AND having a coach/defense that will wins games for him, it all comes together nicely.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think having a legitimate #1 WR again will help him out a lot too.

You'd think it would be that easy for him, but it won't be.

He needs his Wr's to be on his schedule/wavelength.  He will not meet anyone in the middle.  It is his way, or the high way.

Which is why all those OTA reps and camp reps are important.  

Remember, he isn't going to run the offense as the coach puts it in.  He's going to see things and he needs WR's to see things as well.  They need to both see it and run the right routes for the Rodgers offense to work.  

And that comes with reps.

If you see Lazard getting as many passes his way as Wilson, then you know that Wilson is behind the Rodgers' curve.

You'll know Wilson isn't doing things right when Rodgers spikes one in the dirt by him and then just glares at him.  

And whatever your receivers do, do not drop a pass, you might not see another one for 2-3 weeks.

And here is a tip for your WR's...if they are open across the middle, like between the hashes within 3-8 yards on the LOS and there is no one around.  Jump up and down, wave your hands, because that is the absolute last place he wants to throw a ball.  

And I wish most of that was said in jest, but sadly it is not.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

You'd think it would be that easy for him, but it won't be.

He needs his Wr's to be on his schedule/wavelength.  He will not meet anyone in the middle.  It is his way, or the high way.

Which is why all those OTA reps and camp reps are important.  

Remember, he isn't going to run the offense as the coach puts it in.  He's going to see things and he needs WR's to see things as well.  They need to both see it and run the right routes for the Rodgers offense to work.  

And that comes with reps.

If you see Lazard getting as many passes his way as Wilson, then you know that Wilson is behind the Rodgers' curve.

You'll know Wilson isn't doing things right when Rodgers spikes one in the dirt by him and then just glares at him.  

And whatever your receivers do, do not drop a pass, you might not see another one for 2-3 weeks.

And here is a tip for your WR's...if they are open across the middle, like between the hashes within 3-8 yards on the LOS and there is no one around.  Jump up and down, wave your hands, because that is the absolute last place he wants to throw a ball.  

And I wish most of that was said in jest, but sadly it is not.

I get all of that but Wilson is legitimately a #1 option, target hog type of player. The Jets passing offense is going to run through him and I'm sure he'll be peppered with targets because he just gets open.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I get all of that but Wilson is legitimately a #1 option, target hog type of player. The Jets passing offense is going to run through him and I'm sure he'll be peppered with targets because he just gets open.

Not if he doesn't recognize the Rodgers secret hand signals. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You are talking to the guy that has seen Rodgers lock in one guy for entire games.  Despite other guys being so wide open that they jump up and down and wave their hands at him.

I'm not disputing that Wilson is crazy talented.  At all.  I just know our QB.  He's going to throw to guys that he knows first.  If Wilson wants those targets, he needs a lot of reps with Aaron and he's going to have to prove to Aaron that he understands the game like Aaron does.

Aaron is not going to run a typical offense (or a Jets offense) that is designed to get guys open.  He's going to do things his own way.  It's what he has done for a long, long time.

And Rodgers will not be the one extending the olive branch to Wilson.  It will need to be Wilson working doubly hard to earn that trust from Rodgers.

Lastly, to get targets, Wilson is going to need to run a lot of boundary routes.  And/or stand up passes.  I don't know where he typically got the ball last year, but short and over the middle is not where Rodgers wants to put the ball.  

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you about anything concerning what should happen with Wilson.  It's just that I know Rodgers.  He isn't changing.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

A 2nd in 2023 and a 2nd that can become a 1st in 2024 as is being reported is equivalent to a top 10-late 1st this year (depending on which chart and how much you discount future picks)

50% reduction on a mid 2024 2nd: Equivalent total value of ~pick 28

20% reduction on a mid 2024 1st: Equivalent total value of ~pick 10