2017 Houston Texans Training Camp

amazingandre

22 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

John Lopez and Sean Pendergast - two guys who were in WV - both gave said on the record that Watson will start Week 1.

This being said, they didn't really go into specifics. Both had good things to say about the offense, regardless who was running it. 

The name that has won everyone over? Foreman. They're REALLY high on him, saying that his running has been inspired, and he's surprisingly good in the passing game.

This all showed up last night. Savage did nothing to shut the door and Foreman looked really good (against the 2s and 3s admittedly) in his touches.

On 8/9/2017 at 2:24 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

John Lopez and Sean Pendergast - two guys who were in WV - both gave said on the record that Watson will start Week 1.

Seth Payne - who is now in WV and watched the joint practices with the Patriots - is now leaning towards Watson starting week 1.

He had an interesting take that I'll paraphrase:

"If you're wanting to start Savage because he knows the system...Watson now knows it just as well. He has a complete command of the offense now."

He then went on to say that Savage would have to be significantly better to hold onto the job. 

I'll let this Saturday dictate the next thoughts, but I'm starting to lean towards this train of thought: The narrative has always been you don't rush Watson in an effort to preserve him. I'm thinking the opposite now. If you DON'T start Watson, you're risking stunting his growth going forward.

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Seth Payne - who is now in WV and watched the joint practices with the Patriots - is now leaning towards Watson starting week 1.

He had an interesting take that I'll paraphrase:

"If you're wanting to start Savage because he knows the system...Watson now knows it just as well. He has a complete command of the offense now."

He then went on to say that Savage would have to be significantly better to hold onto the job. 

I'll let this Saturday dictate the next thoughts, but I'm starting to lean towards this train of thought: The narrative has always been you don't rush Watson in an effort to preserve him. I'm thinking the opposite now. If you DON'T start Watson, you're risking stunting his growth going forward.

I said it last week. Watson should get a few drives this week with the starters. If he looks good like last week, he starts game 3. If he continues his growth, he starts week 1.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So is Duane Brown just gonna sit out the season, pay a ton of fines and realize he's too old to get paid?

He is going to eventually come back to the team. I wouldnt start him when he returns though only to have him injure himself. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So why are we handing out extensions to Hal and CJ but not Hopkins and Brown 

Hopkins was extended. Brown has two years left. Unless he wants to miss game checks and pension payout on retirement, he'll show up.

Archived