Patriots sign Mike Gesicki

DaPatsKid98

The $ disparity in the NFL is insane to me. Gesicki was a great receiving TE for the Dolphins, then Mcdaniel goes there and has no idea how to use him.. so now he gets 4M?? 

I was in on the deal for 1yr 9M.. but now over half of it is incentive based? The middle class in the NFL truly doesn't exist. 

With regards to the deal.. O'Brien obviously wanted him. I see this as further proof that O'Brien is being given some level of control/input on the offensive players. BB historically would have kept Meyers imo and never would have wanted "tiktok boy". He also wouldn't have wanted a "TE" who he refers to as a "big receiver". 

I think this could be very effective, ESPECIALLY if Tyquan takes a step forward like it's obvious they are hoping for. 

Two changes I would make though: 

1) I want Pierre Strong in the backfield for any receiving opportunities.. trial by fire.. he's had a year to learn I want to see him catching passes with his speed. He can be special

2) Parker was better than I thought he would be last year.. and credit to the staff that he didn't have hamstring injuries ( i think they have one of the best staff's in the league with regards to preventing injury.. unlike Miami/LA). I would still very much replace Parker though to make this grouping feel like a major problem for defenses. Jerry Jeudy / OBJ / Marvin Mims / etc. would be better imo. 

Gesicki will really help the red zone offense imo

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

As usual, we aren’t in a good spot for our favourites 

Hey You wait there one minute!!!!! Speak for yourself. 🤣🤣  We are in perfect position to get my favorite player in this draft.  Nolan Smith 6'2" 238 running 4.39 40 !!!

IMO he can transform our defense. He can have the same effect as Parsons for Dallas.  We are talking a game changer.

Here is a tape to watch.

All I ask is, think about today NFL offenses and QB Josh Allen who we play 2 times a year for 10+ years  and also the other running QBs like Mahomes.  Here are some of his skills,  needed for today's NFL.

Time   46  108  129 217   236  299 344 444 605  719

Also a lot of this is when he was a freshman !!!! 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kOhrkexVE

Note  That's @Crimmageboy getting smoked  time 236 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁🤣

IMO he's the perfect players for today's NFL.

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

The $ disparity in the NFL is insane to me. Gesicki was a great receiving TE for the Dolphins, then Mcdaniel goes there and has no idea how to use him.. so now he gets 4M?? 

I was in on the deal for 1yr 9M.. but now over half of it is incentive based? The middle class in the NFL truly doesn't exist. 

With regards to the deal.. O'Brien obviously wanted him. I see this as further proof that O'Brien is being given some level of control/input on the offensive players. BB historically would have kept Meyers imo and never would have wanted "tiktok boy". He also wouldn't have wanted a "TE" who he refers to as a "big receiver". 

I think this could be very effective, ESPECIALLY if Tyquan takes a step forward like it's obvious they are hoping for. 

Two changes I would make though: 

1) I want Pierre Strong in the backfield for any receiving opportunities.. trial by fire.. he's had a year to learn I want to see him catching passes with his speed. He can be special

2) Parker was better than I thought he would be last year.. and credit to the staff that he didn't have hamstring injuries ( i think they have one of the best staff's in the league with regards to preventing injury.. unlike Miami/LA). I would still very much replace Parker though to make this grouping feel like a major problem for defenses. Jerry Jeudy / OBJ / Marvin Mims / etc. would be better imo. 

Gesicki will really help the red zone offense imo

Yeah I was going to say Parker leaves me wanting more there.

Also not sure about Tyquan

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Hey You wait there one minute!!!!! Speak for yourself. 🤣🤣  We are in perfect position to get my favorite player in this draft.  Nolan Smith 6'2" 238 running 4.39 40 !!!

IMO he can transform our defense. He can have the same effect as Parsons for Dallas.  We are talking a game changer.

Here is a tape to watch.

All I ask is, think about today NFL offenses and QB Josh Allen who we play 2 times a year for 10+ years  and also the other running QBs like Mahomes.  Here are some of his skills,  needed for today's NFL.

Time   46  108  129 217   236  299 344 444 605  719

Also a lot of this is when he was a freshman !!!! 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kOhrkexVE

Note  That's @Crimmageboy getting smoked  time 236 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁🤣

IMO he's the perfect players for today's NFL.

I’ll take a look just now 

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I’ll take a look just now 

Ok, based on highlights I obviously like what I see. He’s absolutely rapid, he can evade blockers, consequently this puts him in the backfield a lot.

I’d have concerns though which aren’t addressed on highlights;

is he able to benefit from having elite/NFL talent on the line inside? Would he be able to embarrass NFL tackles like that? Is a small edge/Lb who is very fast like nice boobs on an ugly chick? I mean - does he still have the fundamentals as well as the flashy stuff? 

those are questions by the way. I can’t base an opinion on a couple videos @m haynes

Edited by Hunter2_1

8 hours ago, m haynes said:

I'm not convinced he is able to hold up as a 3 down OLB for the Patriots. He seems like an Uche replacement and I doubt they take that at 14. He has some injury concerns too. Not a huge sack guy in their system, he's certainly a projection at the next level. They want to try and find an OLB opposite Judon who will be a 3 down guy. If they think he can put on 10 pounds, maybe.. but I'm not sure. Maybe if you're trading down in the 20's he makes more sense? I absolutely love his leadership qualities .. you listen to him and he feels like a culture changer for any locker room he walks into. If you're spending a high first round pick on a guy, he needs to play year 1. One underrated quality that this team doesn't have, which the dynasty Patriots had is Championship Mentality.. I really want players on the team who have won before and are used to winning. I want them to be angry when they lose, I want them to hold the rest of the team accountable.. you need that to be successful. That's part of why I think JuJu is a good addition on top of him already being a better player than Meyers. I think I just convinced myself I would be cool with the pick over the course of writing all this smh

Also, with Jalen Mills cut.. they've essentially told us CB is happening in the first round. I would feel much more comfortable if they sign someone like Rock Ya-Sin before the draft so they don't need to draft 2 CB's just to survive. 

A scenario where I think they would do it is: 

- Trade back from 14-20ish and pick up an extra 3rd & 4th (similar trade to last year for Strange) while drafting Nolan Smith

At the start of day 2 trade Josh Uche to someone for a late 2nd rounder ( I think a mid to late 2nd is what a contender would pay for him) 

- Draft a CB at 46 

- Draft Duncan / Bergeron with the Uche 2nd rounder 

They could think highly of Nolan Smith and draft him just because the value is too good. To me, that means they would probably start calling all over the place looking for a trade partner for Uche. 

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'm not convinced he is able to hold up as a 3 down OLB for the Patriots.

I don't see any problems. Many time he played DE in Georgia scheme talking on the tackles. He's country strong. The thing I love is you can put him any where in the front seven to cause havoc.

Georgia players (usually)  never rack up sacks in their defense. They also rotate guys at UG, even the stars, so don't let that fool you.  Also I have watched this kid play and watched many game videos.   Uche, the only thing that compares to Smith but not on his level is athletic ability. Also Smith is 6'2 238  Usche 6'1 241 not a big difference.

Smith was rated the top overall HS prospect in the 2019 recruiting class and started as a freshman while Uche only started as a SR. There must be a reason he doesn't play full time for the Pats. Also you talk about injuries, Uche should have a medical staff on speed dial !!!!!!

The only major injury has been a torn pectoral that I'm aware of at UG which is a common injury especially defensive players  Ex Hightower, Henry Anderson, Mayo and Junior Seau. Forgot TJ Watt.

As I mentioned  previously. Nolan Smith has similar athletic traits to Von Miller. While Miller is a better pass rusher, Nolan Smith can play all over the defense. The major reason he's worth 14... he can get Allen !!!!!!

The number one reason that stops us from advancing in the playoffs.

----------------------------------------------------

At the 2018 NFL Combine, Allen ran a 4.76 40-yard dash.

Nolan 4.39  " seek and destroy" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I absolutely love his leadership qualities .. you listen to him and he feels like a culture changer for any locker room he walks into.

I think this sum it up for you!!!!😁

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/nolan-smith-felt-disrespected-will-make-teams-regret-draft

Edited by m haynes

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I’ve seen him mocked to Eagles at 10 so he can spell Hassan. But they haven’t taken a Lb in first round since, what, the 70s? 

he’ll probably be there. But like Crim, I think we are going CB 

Mayo 2008  Hightower  2012.

So there's hope!!!!!🤞

I think he's potentially the highest upside at 14.. but based on the last few years... is he the largest need? That seems to be how they want to use their first rounders nowadays. 

CB / OT / S are arguably much larger needs. TE is a similar level need too because both guys are on 1 yr deals like Uche. It really makes me wonder what Uche is worth on the trade market, I am 90% sure BB isn't going to pay him a massive contract because he's not a 3 down guy.. so it makes sense to me to trade him now if you have Smith on the board. 

My guess at 14: 

- Top 3 OT are gone

- Top 2 CB are gone 

You're left with Joey Porter Jr, Nolan Smith, Zay Flowers, and Brian Branch. If they take Branch I will cry.. if they take the other 3 I'll understand. History would say they take Joey Porter Jr in that spot or trade down 4 spots and take whoever is left of the guys they like. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, punter at 14 yeah?..😛

I was around when Ray Guy went in the 1st Rd. Turns out, one of the best picks ever, bar none. 

He terrorized the Pats.  Every time the Pats  pinned the Raiders  in the EZ, he would kick an 80 yard-er with 10 minute hang time!!!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

That seems to be how they want to use their first rounders nowadays. 

Your dead on unfortunately, however that the reason we don't have stars (in general) that come out of the draft. The only one close, Barmore. Maybe M Jones but that Groh pick.

. It really makes me wonder what Uche is worth on the trade market,

See this is what pisses me off.

You and I know he won't sign him and IMO he doesn't even make an effort to trade him. He take the comp of just settles for something like a 6th and be done with it.

Joey Porter Jr

They take him, I cry !!!!   I will go back and watch for the 1000 time and see anything that will change my mind. The Buck'y all they talk about is his size 6' 2 which I can't stand how about his 4.46 or

Weaknesses    This is exactly what I see. how the heck is he going to cover anyone in the AFC ?????? Impossible. I don't take a CB that will have to cover #2 WRs!!!!!  Watch any video/game this is as clear as day!!!

Noticeable delay in transitions from press.

Struggles to slide and match release quickness.

Not twitchy enough to match a complex route.

Too grabby at the top of the route.

Needs extra steps to plant and drive from top of his drop.

Lacking change-of-direction quickness as open-field tackler.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joey-porter-jr/3200504f-5277-3442-9f31-894fa5a2ca5d

I'm praying, Groh has say and he uses stats to over rule BB or at least change his mind.

@Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, punter at 14 yeah?..😛

Hunter suggestion might be the way to go!!!!!!🤣👍

ADDED   Ok I just went back to look for something positive  with Porter. I stop at 50 seconds!!!!!!!  It can't be just me, this kid is a complete bust, its a joke that he's considered as  one of the best by the Buckys!!!!

Tell me, am I missing something. He has no coverage skills, he will be eaten alive by NFL WRs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpS2HUjkBM

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1