Domey’s Fever Dream - Bring the Mannings! Payton, Peyton, his bro and Co.

Dome

81a55010-f8da-0133-f1aa-0aacbc4f5d01.gif

Fever dream time!

First off, nobody go crazy.... that’s my job. Lets start with a large assumption that may not be true.

Assume Drew’s arm TOTALLY falls off in the next 6 weeks... some have predicted a sharp decline soon and last week his arm strength was noticeably diminished. So assume we’re not talking about “oh yeah he’s getting old...” I mean at the end of the year it’s clear his arm is TOAST. 

I said after the Redskins game that Brees looked so good because he basically took the 2nd half off in the Bills game the week before. When he had to throw some darts to close out the Skins game, his arm was shot the next week. I think this could be Brees last year if we don’t become a run first team. Right. Now. 

Which lead me to my next point. Eli Manning as a stopgap QB would be a fantastic option as we look for our QB in the draft. With his big brother stepping into his first coaching role as QB coach/assistant OC.

Peyton would be instrumental in helping find a QB and scheming an offense to fit him and he could eventually step into an OC role if Carmichael ever gets hired away. Peyton managing the passing game could really help Payton focus on calling a balanced game and other game management stuff (he could fix his terrible clock management for one).

Payton and Peyton hand-picking and coaching up your QBotF is about the best scenario to come into for a young QB.

The Mannings clearly have deep roots in New Orleans, I’d love for those roots to dig a little deeper.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

81a55010-f8da-0133-f1aa-0aacbc4f5d01.gif

Fever dream time!

First off, nobody go crazy.... that’s my job. Lets start with a large assumption that may not be true.

Assume Drew’s arm TOTALLY falls off in the next 6 weeks... some have predicted a sharp decline soon and last week his arm strength was noticeably diminished. So assume we’re not talking about “oh yeah he’s getting old...” I mean at the end of the year it’s clear his arm is TOAST. 

I said after the Redskins game that Brees looked so good because he basically took the 2nd half off in the Bills game the week before. When he had to throw some darts to close out the Skins game, his arm was shot the next week. I think this could be Brees last year if we don’t become a run first team. Right. Now. 

Which lead me to my next point. Eli Manning as a stopgap QB would be a fantastic option as we look for our QB in the draft. With his big brother stepping into his first coaching role as QB coach/assistant OC.

Peyton would be instrumental in helping find a QB and scheming an offense to fit him and he could eventually step into an OC role if Carmichael ever gets hired away. Peyton managing the passing game could really help Payton focus on calling a balanced game and other game management stuff (he could fix his terrible clock management for one).

Payton and Peyton hand-picking and coaching up your QBotF is about the best scenario to come into for a young QB.

The Mannings clearly have deep roots in New Orleans, I’d love for those roots to dig a little deeper.

I get it with the Manning's being big names, and even sounds nice on paper, but ultimately I just don't like it. At no point was Eli ever an Elite QB in the NFL (In his prime was in that 5-10 range for QB's. He has taken a turn for the worse the past few seasons. He has been at best a middle of the road QB the past few years. I don't see him having a resurgence at 37 years old next year. Those are 2 very big ego's to add to this team without any chemistry with our roster. We know how Sean Payton does with other ego's. Payton and Brees have a great rapport, it's best to keep them together at this point in time. I think even if Drew's arm nose dives he's at worst a Chad Pennington in his prime type player for the next couple seasons. Which ultimately isn't the Elite Brees we know and love, but is a more than serviceable guy that can quickly find an open WR and be a leader on an offense that will run dominated in the coming years.

In my ideal scenario, we are able to draft Baker Mayfield as our QB of the future late in the 1st round (Even trade up a few spots if need be), and let him learn behind Brees until he is ready. If Brees really drops off that far next season, then he would be a great guy to have mentoring Mayfield who possesses many similar traits to Brees. 

I feel that Manning's best scenario would be for the Jaguars to take a look at him. They have the pieces set, but have a terrible QB situation. I think they could use him as a bridge QB until they find their QB of the future.

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

That’s not the point of a stopgap QB.

I agree. However my point went further than him never being an elite QB:

"He has taken a turn for the worse the past few seasons. He has been at best a middle of the road QB the past few years. I don't see him having a resurgence at 37 years old next year." 

"Those are 2 very big ego's to add to this team without any chemistry with our roster. We know how Sean Payton does with other ego's. Payton and Brees have a great rapport, it's best to keep them together at this point in time. I think even if Drew's arm nose dives he's at worst a Chad Pennington in his prime type player for the next couple seasons. Which ultimately isn't the Elite Brees we know and love, but is a more than serviceable guy that can quickly find an open WR and be a leader on an offense that will run dominated in the coming years."

@tyler735 yeah that’s all fair. I think you might have higher expectations than I do for what a stopgap QB should be for a team. Also remember I’m still operating in an alternate  reality so to speak, where Brees is not coming back for 2018.

Obviously I’d love a better QB than Eli, but I also think with this defense and running back duo he could lead a pretty good offense. We’re not far removed from many people picking the 2017 giants to put up a great season with Eli throwing to OBJ and Marshall with a stout defense playing opposite. We have that here. His playoff experience is undervalued to a team like us. I think the Jags will be after him as will the Redskins if Cousins leaves. I could see Denver taking a run at him as well.

As far as Peyton goes... he’s gonna get a shot to coach in the NFL at some point, if he wants it. Why not give him a shot if he wants to coach? If it works out, great and we maybe have a successor to Carmichael if he wants to be OC.

I heard he called Gundy and tried to get him to take the job, plus he already basically flat out said he’d take their QB coach job if they offered it. So it appears that’s his preference.

But if he has any interest in coaching in the NFL, I hope Sean would give him a call and ask if he wants to come home for a few years for his first job.

42 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

@tyler735 yeah that’s all fair. I think you might have higher expectations than I do for what a stopgap QB should be for a team. Also remember I’m still operating in an alternate  reality so to speak, where Brees is not coming back for 2018.

Obviously I’d love a better QB than Eli, but I also think with this defense and running back duo he could lead a pretty good offense. We’re not far removed from many people picking the 2017 giants to put up a great season with Eli throwing to OBJ and Marshall with a stout defense playing opposite. We have that here. His playoff experience is undervalued to a team like us. I think the Jags will be after him as will the Redskins if Cousins leaves. I could see Denver taking a run at him as well.

I think this is one of those scenario's we see all to often with something that looks great on paper, but ultimately just doesn't work for a variety of reasons. I view a move like this along the lines of the Eagles "dream team" from a few years ago, or the Vikings bringing in a past his prime Donovan Mcnabb as a stop gap, or a typical Washington Redskins free agency splurge.

Essentially I think a move like this brings in a ton of media, and when Eli isn't living up to his name. We (Us diehard fans) know that he isn't the same player he was in his prime. Most fans would expect him to put up numbers if we sign him due to his name. If we also brought in Peyton Manning to coach. I think the most likely outcome is that we struggle in the passing game. We draw a ton of attention from media/other fans due to the name recognition those guys bring, and it ultimately leads to a Washington Redskins like media circus that they often face after signing big name players that don't pan out. I also have this feeling that Peyton/Eli would butt heads being brothers, as Peyton is a perfectionist, and Eli not being able to reach his lofty expectations. I just have this image of brotherly shouting matches on the sideline. I think it would be a distraction at the end of the day that yields mediocre results. I think I'd rather just draft a guy round 1 and let him learn as a rookie. A rookie QB could mostly lean on the run game as he progresses as a passer and gets experience. We are seeing guys like Goff/Wentz look great in year 2. If we move on from Brees, we have a much better supporting cast in place than the Eagles/Rams did last season, so I think a rookie could be successful in our offense.

48 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

As far as Peyton goes... he’s gonna get a shot to coach in the NFL at some point, if he wants it. Why not give him a shot if he wants to coach? If it works out, great and we maybe have a successor to Carmichael if he wants to be OC.

I heard he called Gundy and tried to get him to take the job, plus he already basically flat out said he’d take their QB coach job if they offered it. So it appears that’s his preference.

But if he has any interest in coaching in the NFL, I hope Sean would give him a call and ask if he wants to come home for a few years for his first job.

I wouldn't mind Peyton as a coach, but I just don't think him and his brother at the same time would work well. I think it would just lead to a circus/weekly drama. I have no doubt Peyton could become a quality coach in the NFL whether it's as a QB coach, Offensive Coordinator, or even a Head Coach down the road.

18 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I wouldn't mind Peyton as a coach, but I just don't think him and his brother at the same time would work well. I think it would just lead to a circus/weekly drama. I have no doubt Peyton could become a quality coach in the NFL whether it's as a QB coach, Offensive Coordinator, or even a Head Coach down the road.

I definitely want Peyton more than Eli. But I definitely think there's worse far worse options than Eli if Brees can't go in 2018. Like I said, a few teams will be fighting for him.

You're probably right about it being too much drama, which is why I opened with calling this a fever dream. 

21 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

We (Us diehard fans) know that he isn't the same player he was in his prime. Most fans would expect him to put up numbers if we sign him due to his name.

Teams shouldn't make moves based on fan expectations. If Payton think Eli could get this team another Lombardi with this rushing attack and defense he should absolutely pursue that. If he thinks Peyton wants to coach in New Orleans he should pursue that as well.

Whether or not they could all coexist would have to be decided between the three of them behind closed doors. I'd take Peyton over Eli, but I'd still take Eli if Brees is a no-go for 2018. I'd take both of them if that was the only way to not miss out on either. I don't know of a better QB that will be available, even if he's not great. And I don't know of a more fresh and promising offensive mind to eventually move up than Peyton. 

31 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I definitely want Peyton more than Eli. But I definitely think there's worse far worse options than Eli if Brees can't go in 2018. Like I said, a few teams will be fighting for him.

You're probably right about it being too much drama, which is why I opened with calling this a fever dream. 

Teams shouldn't make moves based on fan expectations. If Payton think Eli could get this team another Lombardi with this rushing attack and defense he should absolutely pursue that. If he thinks Peyton wants to coach in New Orleans he should pursue that as well.

Whether or not they could all coexist would have to be decided between the three of them behind closed doors. I'd take Peyton over Eli, but I'd still take Eli if Brees is a no-go for 2018. I'd take both of them if that was the only way to not miss out on either. I don't know of a better QB that will be available, even if he's not great. And I don't know of a more fresh and promising offensive mind to eventually move up than Peyton. 

I know you said this is an alternate reality, but the reality in my eyes is the best 2 options are stick with Brees, or draft a QB in round 1 and have him start next year (or keep Brees and draft a QB round 1). As I mentioned before whoever is behind center won't be asked to do that much with our run game in its current state. I have a feeling there will be some interest by other teams in Eli Manning, which means we would likely have to enter a bidding war with a team like Jacksonville, and would be paying a premium for a QB that is on the decline with no experience in our offense. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I know you said this is an alternate reality, but the reality in my eyes is the best 2 options are stick with Brees, or draft a QB in round 1 and have him start next year (or keep Brees and draft a QB round 1)

Well yeah. The whole premise of this thread was to assume Brees isn’t going to play lol. If he’s good to go you stick with him no doubt.

But I don’t think a rookie QB we can land in the 1st (which means we’re ignoring LB needs or CB depth in the 1st) will be a better option than Eli

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

would be paying a premium for a QB that is on the decline with no experience in our offense. 

That’s fair that Eli is older than Brees was, but remember Brees took us to the NFCCG in 2006 with a rookie possession WR in Colston and electric receiving threat RB in Bush... and with no experience in the offense... and with less of a defense.

I think this team can compete with most anyone under center, like you said... but I also think Eli provides more than you’re goving him credit for.

Eli could still see some success with a good supporting cast.  He could work here, but it wouldn't be an upgrade over Brees returning unless Brees arm is definitely toast at the end of this season.  If he's capable of playing next year like he did this year he's worth keeping around.  Both QBs can have good and bad games, but Eli is gonna have more bad games than Brees, unless Brees is just done.

12 hours ago, Raves said:

Why not just bring back Archie too?

Not far off... Forget Payton coaching or Eli playing here. 

What I really can see tho is the Manning family in general (Archie, Payton, Eli and Cooper) all becoming partial owners within the Saints with the idea of a transition from Tom to Gayle and eventually to the Mannings. Tom Benson has been recently adamant that he wants to secure the Saints future in NOLA beyond his death and the Mannings would be a very logical family with the connections, funds and pedigree to make that goal a reality.

Archived