What are we going to do at WR?

Berry has a track record of filling all starting positions in FA and then use BPA in the draft.  There is speculation for free agents like Hardman, Beckham, and others.  Trade rumors for a variety of WR’s like Jeudy, Moore, and others.  Lastly, rumors we will trade up to first round with 2nd and 3rd for WR.  I believe Berry is going to get one FA and then draft WR with top picks.  What do you think?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, #32 said:

Berry has a track record of filling all starting positions in FA and then use BPA in the draft.  There is speculation for free agents like Hardman, Beckham, and others.

We don’t have the $$ to get one of those guys. We should just sign Scotty Miller to work the slot & hope the other guys show something with a hopefully improved Watson. 

7 minutes ago, #32 said:

Trade rumors for a variety of WR’s like Jeudy, Moore, and others.  

I would love to look at Elijah Moore or Brandin Cooks if HOU will eat some of the salary. I wouldn’t trade more than a 4th for either though. We desperately need our two first draft picks to go to defense. 

7 minutes ago, #32 said:

Lastly, rumors we will trade up to first round with 2nd and 3rd for WR. 

I would puke if we did that. This WR class is dreadful. We can’t afford to trade up at all, especially for a WR with middling abilities. 

WR is a need, but given the market, the horrible draft, and the cap space/picks we have, forget about making a big splash there. If every WR in this class was available with our pick in R2, I would still probably pass on them. It’s a bad class. Wait til next year. Give this O a chance with a functioning defense and a great QB (in theory) and see what happens. We can’t upgrade everywhere paying the guys we have what we’re paying them. WR has to be the spot that we “upgraded” by paying Watson an absurd amount of money. He has to elevate the group or else we’re screwed one way or another. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Well, sounds like Cooks to Dallas.

For once in the post 1999 history of this franchise, it would be nice to draft a 2nd round receiver who stepped up and played like a stud. I guess Kevin Johnson came closest. We sure could use the firepower, and the dudes out there on the FA market are getting overpaid for what they bring to the table.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

This offense is dead if something happens to Cooper or DPJ.

We need to trade for Jeudy.

Nah Dpj is just barely above a JAG. He’s replaceable and we have an entire draft still to go. 

I just don’t get the fascination with jeudy. Yeah he’s got raw talent but his catch rate is way down. He’s in like the 100th range. Something fishy there. I wouldn’t want to trade the farm for him and then give him nearly 20 per year. 

I’d rather trade a 3rd for Hopkins.  

• Like 1

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Nah Dpj is just barely above a JAG. He’s replaceable and we have an entire draft still to go. 

I just don’t get the fascination with jeudy. Yeah he’s got raw talent but his catch rate is way down. He’s in like the 100th range. Something fishy there. I wouldn’t want to trade the farm for him and then give him nearly 20 per year. 

I’d rather trade a 3rd for Hopkins.  

Strongly disagree.

9 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Strongly disagree.

Meh i might have been a little harsh but I don’t think we’re in that much trouble if he went down and we had to replace him with a replacement level WR off the street. Cooper is much more important and we’d be completely screwed if he went down. 

I think we need more at WR because Bell and Woods are completely unproven, Schwartz is proven unfortunately, Grant and Darden are 3 inches + too short to play on the outside and Baldwin, who has as much upside as any of these guys imo, is slow.

I’m not saying these guys may not carve out a nice career, but if they do it’s likely gonna be as a bottom of the roster guy year after year.  There’s just not much upside to them imo.

That said, I really dislike the guys in the drafted typically mocked in R2. I think we can get a much better player at another position.

Trading for a vet/signing a budget FA and maybe taking a swing on a high upside guy day 3 would be my preference.

Man  @#32  thanks for making this thread!! I was going to make one dedicated to receiver but kept forgetting. 

Man I don’t think we sign one in FA 

when you look at our roster most likely we’re going to keep 6 receivers 

I think we have 4 guaranteed to make the roster 

1. Amari

2. DPJ

3. David Bell

4. Michael Woods

And then either Jakeem or Schwartz for the 5th spot. 

I think our FO will want to take a chance on one receiver in the draft just for the upside potential. 

the only FA or trade I could potentially see if Jeudy because he was eventual WR 1 upside. 

but yeah with DPJ’s contract coming up I don’t see us signing a FA WR most likely. 

Draft wise my ideal pick would be Zay Flowers, but we most likely won’t be in a position to draft him. 

2nd round target - Jalin Hyatt

3rd round target - Marvin Mims

4th round target - Trey Palmer 

people bring up that guy from Cincinnati but I don’t see it. I think he’s another Schwartz. I’m looking another direction. 

I think my ideal would be trade down in the 2nd into the third and pickup some more assets then draft Mims. Then we got 6 receivers and we good to go!

Edited by brownie man

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This offense is dead if something happens to Cooper or DPJ.

We need to trade for Jeudy.

So when we had a top offense in 2020 Landry led the team with 840 yards, no one else had 600.

Higgins at 599, Hooper at 435, OBJ only lasted 6 games and had 319 yards...

If the QB can get the ball to guys you don't have to have greatness everywhere.

Chiefs WR's last year had 900, 600, 300, 200. (Kelce/Pacheco are offset by Njoku/Chubb)

We need someone to step up and be a target that can catch, that's all we really need. If Baker Mayfield could do it Watson should certainly be able.

• Like 4

Thomas is spot on. Watson was brought in to elevate the roster because elite quarterback play does that, so if he can’t, it’s an even worse trade from a football standpoint not even taking into consideration the off field loathesome predatory behavior and guaranteed money. 

Amari and DPJ with Njoku and a wife OL and RB is plenty, it’s on him. I’d say the only dimension lacking is a viable Dee threat but aside from that, too bad make it work.