Titans Sign Sean Murphy-Bunting

615finest

I'm a bit confused about all these "great signings" we're making(the SF o-line guy whos name I'm too lazy to go look at), SMB, Key, etc.

Like everyone from people here to national media members are praising these players, saying they're all good players or good value, yet we're paying each of them practically nothing compared to where the market is at for good(or better) players at their position, so how good are these guys actually if they're taking contracts this small?

Just feels so off/weird.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm a bit confused about all these "great signings" we're making(the SF o-line guy whos name I'm too lazy to go look at), SMB, Key, etc.

Like everyone from people here to national media members are praising these players, saying they're all good players or good value, yet we're paying each of them practically nothing compared to where the market is at for good(or better) players at their position, so how good are these guys actually if they're taking contracts this small?

Just feels so off/weird.

The more I think about it the more I'm just confused of why we are doing what we are doing. If we're doing a half rebuild I just don't agree with that. The only reason to do that is bc Vrabel doesn't want to bottom out. But what's the point of keeping Tannehill and Henry when they will not be here in a year or 2 and we are not even close to being a contender. That said we could still trade them during the draft and things would make more sense to me. I like the signings so far and would like them even more if we trade Tannehill (to who, idk) during the draft. Go ahead and bottom out and get your QB next year.

I like the deals we are doing so far bc it's not messing up our cap in the future like Robinson did but I still want to know what our plans are with Tannehill, Henry, and even Byard and Simmons.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Loving all ds cheap 1 yr deals hes killing it

13 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Just feels so off/weird.

See, this is exactly what you should be doing in free agency, especially in a soft rebuild.  You address every need if you possibly can, and do it economically, so that you're more flexible in the draft.  We're young at CB, so I'd be really pissed if the Titans spent yet another first round pick there.  What they need to do is raise the floor, and see what develops, which is I think what's happening here.  Take a guy who will contribute, knowing that you'll have 5 DBs on the field 90% of the time anyway, and know you won't get smoked in coverage, at least.

Same thing with Bruskill and Dillard.  Both can play multiple positions on the OL, so we can take a center, if a great one falls, or a right tackle, or whatever.  You never know how the board will fall, so it helps to not have overwhelming, glaring needs going in.

Now they just need to sign another WR.

31 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Just feels so off/weird.

It feels like the market in general is way down this year. Might have to do with the lack of high-end talent, but I don’t think there’s been a single contract across the league that I’ve looked at and thought was outrageous. 

Yeah the signings are good, because you are getting players that put some good things on film for a reasonable price.  You aren't resetting the market for marginal players, that you'll have to cut in a year or two due to underperforming or not meeting the value of their deal. 
All the players they have signed can contribute. They all can play at the level or above the guy they replaced. 

With Long Jr, it was obvious they were just done of his inability to be available. And they just didn't want Nate Davis. The deals they got say it loudly. 

And the beauty of the one year deal is if they don't live up to expectations, you move on. The downside is like a Demarcus Walker, they do live up to it and now you got to pay them. But that's a good problem to have. 

But like I said, I think they are equal to or better than the guy they replaced at a fraction of the cost. 

Carthon has targeted guys that have been stuck behind other guys but come with a good pedigree or good film. True guys that need an opportunity to take on more.  They will be motivated to do so, because of the one year deal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Just feels so off/weird.

Go see how we wasted money in Beasley, Dupree, Cameron wake, Andy levitree, Danorris Searcy Dexter McCluster, Deion Lewis, I can keep going. Point I’m trying to make we signed a lot of those guys to multi year deals & wasted millions of dollars on them. Were basically signing guys who weren’t full time starters but played heavy snaps & we’re saying we’ll pay you a reasonable deal give you an opportunity to start, & bet on yourself going into next offseason where we’ll have a full yr of film to see if they fit with us & we’ll have a sh!t load of cap space. We’re addressing our needs in FA so that we can attack the draft by getting BPA according to our board & not drafting based on need to fill our roster. I think they’re going back N forth with going full blown rebuild or trying to maintain a level of competitiveness to put out on the field. If we cut Byard we should move on from Tannehill & Henry.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Go see how we wasted money in Beasley, Dupree, Cameron wake, Andy levitree, Danorris Searcy Dexter McCluster, Deion Lewis, I can keep going. Point I’m trying to make we signed a lot of those guys to multi year deals & wasted millions of dollars on them. Were basically signing guys who weren’t full time starters but played heavy snaps & we’re saying we’ll pay you a reasonable deal give you an opportunity to start, & bet on yourself going into next offseason where we’ll have a full yr of film to see if they fit with us & we’ll have a sh!t load of cap space. We’re addressing our needs in FA so that we can attack the draft by getting BPA according to our board & not drafting based on need to fill our roster. I think they’re going back N forth with going full blown rebuild or trying to maintain a level of competitiveness to put out on the field. If we cut Byard we should move on from Tannehill & Henry.

I don't see how this addresses what I posted. I said nothing about if the Titans should have made these signings, or that there was anything wrong with signing small contracts.

I asked how could all of these guys possibly be good players but also get paid nothing. The two things dont correlate.

Contracts of all sizes work and of all sizes fail. There's also signing guys like Ben Jones, Rodger Saffold, Denico Autry, so on and so forth. Size of the contact has nothing to do with if a signing is going to be successful or not.

22 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't see how this addresses what I posted. I said nothing about if the Titans should have made these signings, or that there was anything wrong with signing small contracts.

I asked how could all of these guys possibly be good players but also get paid nothing. The two things dont correlate.

Contracts of all sizes work and of all sizes fail. There's also signing guys like Ben Jones, Rodger Saffold, Denico Autry, so on and so forth. Size of the contact has nothing to do with if a signing is going to be successful or not.

they're not getting paid nothing. they're getting paid like promising role players who are being given a chance to succeed in expanded roles, which they are. nobody's saying these dudes are all going to be pro bowlers or whatever.

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

they're not getting paid nothing. they're getting paid like promising role players who are being given a chance to succeed in expanded roles, which they are. nobody's saying these dudes are all going to be pro bowlers or whatever.

Agreed.

They are promising players.  Think of it like an advanced Rookie if you will.  
When we draft players, we get excited about what they can do.  

Well, we have players to be excited about what they can do, and they have a few years of experience under their belt at this level. They could bust like a rookie or they could thrive.

Best part is, we aren't locked in big time and can move along, with minimal consequences.  At best, they explode, and we have to figure out how to pay them, which shouldn't be a problem with a lot of money to use next year. 

43 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Thanks 😆