Official Minor League and Amateur Baseball Thread

beekay414

We've had a few other threads dedicated to certain seasons but I just figured I'd make an all encompassing thread for the topic rather than digging for one of the old threads.

Reason I started this thread was wanting to talk about Paul Skenes and when do we start talking about him being the top arm in the 2023 draft? 

Skenes: 6 starts, 37.1 IP, 5-0, 0.72 ERA, 0.56 WHIP, 71 K (17.1 K/9), 7 BB (1.7 BB/9), 3.38 H/9, 0.00 HR/9
Dollander: 6 starts, 34.1 IP, 4-2, 3.93 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 53 K (13.9 K/9), 8 BB (2.1 BB/9), 7.6 H/9, 0.79 HR/9

Obviously wanna see how this unfolds the further we get into SEC play but Skenes is going to push Dollander for that #1 arm spot all year.

Don't have a subscription, but I read that Skenes was ranked ahead of Dollander in BA's latest rankings. (or maybe just mocked ahead) He seems to be on track to be the first arm off the board. 

Looks like a strong first round. Glad the M's have 3 picks in the top 30. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, beekay414 said:

We've had a few other threads dedicated to certain seasons but I just figured I'd make an all encompassing thread for the topic rather than digging for one of the old threads.

Reason I started this thread was wanting to talk about Paul Skenes and when do we start talking about him being the top arm in the 2023 draft? 

Skenes: 6 starts, 37.1 IP, 5-0, 0.72 ERA, 0.56 WHIP, 71 K (17.1 K/9), 7 BB (1.7 BB/9), 3.38 H/9, 0.00 HR/9
Dollander: 6 starts, 34.1 IP, 4-2, 3.93 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 53 K (13.9 K/9), 8 BB (2.1 BB/9), 7.6 H/9, 0.79 HR/9

Obviously wanna see how this unfolds the further we get into SEC play but Skenes is going to push Dollander for that #1 arm spot all year.

He's already there for me.  Skenes is absolutely absurd right now.  I think I saw he was up to 102 in his last start against #5 ranked Arkansas.  Great slider/change combo for his offspeeds.  Huge frame.  He'd go 1-1 if the otherworldly Dylan Crews wasn't a thing.  Reminds me a lot of Gerrit Cole.  

This draft definitely has a strong top 4 with Crews/Skenes/Dollander/Langford.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

At this point, even with the SP1 need, only way they don't land him is if he prices himself out and won't sign with them but I don't see that happening.

That's my hope at this point.  Crews asks for a ton of money and the Pirates go underslot like they do most years.  I want no part of Crews in the NL Central.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Speaking of Dollander and Skenes, they face off against each other tonight on ESPNU.  Perfect timing too, as MLB still insists on the idiotic off day after opening day.

They faced off Thursday, I thought? Skenes went 7, gave up 1 run and struck out 12, walked 1. Dollander went 4.2, gave up 2 runs and struck out 3, walked 3.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:14 PM, beekay414 said:

They faced off Thursday, I thought? Skenes went 7, gave up 1 run and struck out 12, walked 1. Dollander went 4.2, gave up 2 runs and struck out 3, walked 3.

Sigh.  They did.  Being the Friday night starter doesn't mean anything when you start the series on Thursday.

• 3 weeks later...

Spencer Jones hit two more dingers last night.  He's now got 5 dingers and 7 steals in 18 games. 

162 game run rate of 45 dingers and 63 bags.

Yeah he's striking out too much but how did everyone else let this kid fall to 25?  

History repeating itself 

I love looking up random prospects when digging for gems for dynasty fantasy leagues. Found a dude for the Pirates with a comical line in 2 seasons in the DSL. Ewry Espinal.

He's had 350 plate appearances. He's struck out 121 times and walked 90 times. 211 of 350 PAs ended without contact. 60% of his PAs. Just unreal. Last year he had 61 K and 60 BB in 200 PA. 

• Like 2

Don't know much about Adalberto Mondesi other than he's very fast. 

if it's between him and Kiké Hernandez to start as your teams 2nd basemen, who are you choosing? I'd like to have Mondesi I think. I know what Kiké is 

Edited by BullsandBroncos