Ohio State's LB Jerome Baker will be a Saint

Dome

8 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Evans is the best linebacker in this class and will be a top 20 pick... Baker is an excellent fit in our scheme and fits the mold of the athletic speciman we need at the position but he has mid-round production.

This year, but all of Ohio State's LBers numbers are down.  Last year his production was top 20.

Just now, Raves said:

This year, but all of Ohio State's LBers numbers are down.  Last year his production was top 20.

Thats called inconsistency... Im not knocking Baker and would even like to see him with the Saints but hes a 2-3 round guy for me but not someone id trade assets to move up to get.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

Thats called inconsistency... Im not knocking Baker and would even like to see him with the Saints but hes a 2-3 round guy for me but not someone id trade assets to move up to get.

I was just commenting on the the production, and the inconsistency is among all of Ohio State's LBers, defense even, not just him so it might be something more than an individual consistency issue.  I mean look at how our defense went from crap to good with pretty much the same players just coaching doing their jobs finally, and obviously a few stud players.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Evans is the best linebacker in this class and will be a top 20 pick... Baker is an excellent fit in our scheme and fits the mold of the athletic speciman we need at the position but he has mid-round production.

I still want him. He could slip, and with Nolan on the team I think we may actually have a chance of developing a good LB. 

6 hours ago, Raves said:

I was just commenting on the the production, and the inconsistency is among all of Ohio State's LBers, defense even, not just him so it might be something more than an individual consistency issue.  I mean look at how our defense went from crap to good with pretty much the same players just coaching doing their jobs finally, and obviously a few stud players.

come on now Raves... Pretty much the same players??? This team has been transformed by the 2017 draft class, particularly the defense where they landed the best rookie corner maybe ever as well as a very underrated free safety. On offense Ramczyk and Kamara's impact in the run game has only enhanced the ability to keep the defense fresh.

Baker has issues flowing through traffic, he runs around blocks instead of through them. His instincts are ok and his athleticism is top notch. Hes good in coverage and can make splash plays at times but his consistency within his assignments have been a question mark even last year when he had a solid season.

8 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

come on now Raves... Pretty much the same players??? This team has been transformed by the 2017 draft class, particularly the defense where they landed the best rookie corner maybe ever as well as a very underrated free safety. On offense Ramczyk and Kamara's impact in the run game has only enhanced the ability to keep the defense fresh.

Baker has issues flowing through traffic, he runs around blocks instead of through them. His instincts are ok and his athleticism is top notch. Hes good in coverage and can make splash plays at times but his consistency within his assignments have been a question mark even last year when he had a solid season.

I still put it down to coaching staff and slightly different scheme than last year.  He had no issues with anything you just mentioned the year before, but now it's an issue.  I really think it's just how they are using him.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

I still put it down to coaching staff and slightly different scheme than last year.  He had no issues with anything you just mentioned the year before, but now it's an issue.  I really think it's just how they are using him.

Granted he made a lot more plays last year and yes he was put in better positions than he has this year but I still see issues with overpersuing and battling through traffic in both years, just last year his good plays overshadowed some of his flaws. This year hes not making as many of those splash plays which is causing some of those flaws to come to the forefront. 

Still a talented kid... Top 50 pick

6 hours ago, Raves said:

Perhaps it's a lack of leadership. If the whole squad is performing under their talent level, why does it have to be coaching? I mean, it could be, you could be right, but where's the leader? Who's lighting the fire? Or should I say, who was lighting the fire that left?

Answer = Marshawn Lattimore.

13 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Perhaps it's a lack of leadership. If the whole squad is performing under their talent level, why does it have to be coaching? I mean, it could be, you could be right, but where's the leader? Who's lighting the fire? Or should I say, who was lighting the fire that left?

Answer = Marshawn Lattimore.

You also lost Raquan McMillan, Gareon Conley, Malik Hooker, and LB/Co-DC Luke Fickell.

Lots of big time players to cause the defense to not be as good overall, but they aren't even playing to their talent level this year.  Maybe Baker needs someone like Klein to help make sure he's in the right spot and right now he's overthinking trying to take over for the loss of McMillan so he's not playing as smooth as he did in years past because he's trying to think too much about the right play.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

You also lost Raquan McMillan, Gareon Conley, Malik Hooker, and LB/Co-DC Luke Fickell.

Lots of big time players to cause the defense to not be as good overall, but they aren't even playing to their talent level this year.  Maybe Baker needs someone like Klein to help make sure he's in the right spot and right now he's overthinking trying to take over for the loss of McMillan so he's not playing as smooth as he did in years past because he's trying to think too much about the right play.

Cheerleaders are replaceable, we're talking football, here! ...ba-dum-dump, tssss ;)

Pretty good point about needing some guidance. I just hate it when I see someone lose fire due to their surroundings.

Perhaps my bar is set too high. I think of Cam Jordan playing at an elite level when his surroundings were that of a 30th ranked (at best) defense. He didn't need anyone else to get him going, regardless of losing all the top players around him year after year.

Baker last year was prime for a breakout year after a good campaign last year.

This year, here's where he has MAJORLY struggled:

*At the point of attack/taking on blockers

*He cannot identify or cover a TIGHT END/Fullback to save his life. See: Penn State, Iowa, UM

*Despite elite athleticism, somehow he gets lost in space sometimes

Here's what excites you:

*Elite athleticism

*Sideline to sideline tackling

*Setting the edge

He's a poor man's Darron Lee right now. He's a boom/bust guy IMO.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker last year was prime for a breakout year after a good campaign last year.

This year, here's where he has MAJORLY struggled:

*At the point of attack/taking on blockers

*He cannot identify or cover a TIGHT END/Fullback to save his life. See: Penn State, Iowa, UM

*Despite elite athleticism, somehow he gets lost in space sometimes

Here's what excites you:

*Elite athleticism

*Sideline to sideline tackling

*Setting the edge

He's a poor man's Darron Lee right now. He's a boom/bust guy IMO.

If this is accurate, I'd pass on him. lol 

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I think were all just wondering which Buckeye we will draft this year... Cause ya know we will draft at least one.

That was half the reason I made this thread. I saw a scouting/highlight video of a LB. And thought "oh the Saints need a lb" then saw he was from OSU and thought "oh the Saints will draft half their players from OSU" 

Honestly it's just playing the odds at this point. xD

Hopefully he keeps falling and we can snag him in the 3rd. Sounds doubtful. 

Archived