2023 Draft Thread

Acgott

15 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Nah i like JSN more than Flowers, but I think its almost set in stone he lands in the top 10-12. I could see Tennessee grabbing him. I should've wrote my top 3 after JSN. 

Yeah you're definitely right. If we want JSN specifically, it is going to take a big trade up. Not sure he is worth it.

If for some insane reason we decide to pass on a WR due to lack of interest in whats on the board, i could see Schoen switch gears to another position that could there at our spot. If his mentality is im not gonna trade up for a WR (if he is in love with one) then perhaps hes setting us up for strength in numbers with the amount of FA WRs weve added. If thats the case, i could see him staying pat at 25 and grabbing a position like CB. I dont think were gonna see us grab a center in Rd1 as much as i love Schmitz. But a corner is a definite possibility especially with the fact Adoree is going into his last yr of his contract and that the CB2 position is still wide open. 

I'm still super high on Johnston if he is there at 25. Athletically he is a generational talent in terms of size and speed. Daboll and Kafka can take care of the rest. I'd be ok with Addison or JSN as well but I don't think they will fall that far. IMHO Johnston will be far and away the best receiver from this draft in 5 years. His presence alongside Waller and Hodgins will give DJ plenty of height. Then you have Robinson, Shep, and Smith for the slippery underneath stuff. Slay and Campbell for over the top. DJ would finally have a respectable array of weapons. 

At the moment my gut is telling me the CB is the pick as long as one of their guys is there at 25. All this due diligence at WR could be for our 2nd round pick or even a trade up in the 2nd round if one of them slides. And if none of their CB targets are there at 25 they obviously just take one of the WRs. 

CB is so deep. Even if Joey Porter Jr, Christian Gonzalez, and Devon Witherspoon go before our pick, there should still be a handful of CBs worth a late first. I really like Deonte Banks, but I think he is going to be gone. Kelee Ringo is a little stiff, but he's got great athleticism besides that plus 2 years of great production in the SEC. I haven't watched Cam Smith out of South Carolina, but he seems to be highly regarded. I don't like Emmanuel Forbes at all (160 pounds as a DB? No thanks), but others really do. After those guys, there is a decent drop off before you get to guys like Clark Phillips from Utah, Tyrique Stevenson, Julius Brents, and DJ Turner (those guys, and Forbes in my opinion, are all more round 2 guys).

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I'm still super high on Johnston if he is there at 25. Athletically he is a generational talent in terms of size and speed. Daboll and Kafka can take care of the rest. I'd be ok with Addison or JSN as well but I don't think they will fall that far. IMHO Johnston will be far and away the best receiver from this draft in 5 years. His presence alongside Waller and Hodgins will give DJ plenty of height. Then you have Robinson, Shep, and Smith for the slippery underneath stuff. Slay and Campbell for over the top. DJ would finally have a respectable array of weapons. 

I will say Johnston is easily the best YAC receiver in this draft. That is always a valuable trait for a team that can scheme guys open, which Daboll and Kafka did regularly last year. He's my 3rd favorite of the bunch, but I'd be lying if I said the thought of him running some of those long crossers that Slayton ran last year doesn't make my mouth drool a bit. 

• Like 1

Johnston, JSN, and Addison will probably be gone unless we trade up for them, and I think there are too many other needs to justify that move. If Hyatt drops to us I will be thrilled, because he's got some size and the speed to take the top off a defense.

Past those guys... Flowers, Dell, and Downs are all painfully small. If it's down to them at #25 I think I'd rather go corner or run-stopper instead. Wait for Cedric Tillman, Marvin Mims, or Jayden Reed. 

12 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Johnston, JSN, and Addison will probably be gone unless we trade up for them, and I think there are too many other needs to justify that move. If Hyatt drops to us I will be thrilled, because he's got some size and the speed to take the top off a defense.

Past those guys... Flowers, Dell, and Downs are all painfully small. If it's down to them at #25 I think I'd rather go corner or run-stopper instead. Wait for Cedric Tillman, Marvin Mims, or Jayden Reed. 

Hyatt does have exceptional game speed, but the "smart" in "tough, smart, dependable" will factor a lot whether we are looking at him at all or not. He didn't really run any actual routes at Tennessee; if he wanted to play year one in this offense, he'd have to put in a lot of work to learn the route tree and run them well enough. More work than a lot of these other guys would have to put in.

If I were looking at Hyatt in round 1 personally, I'd much rather take Tyler Scott in round 2 or Tank Dell in round 3. I think they are better value there than Hyatt is in round 1. They are just as fast and potentially offer the same type of production (tracking down deep balls). Then, like you said, that allows you to take a corner or EDGE or something in round 1. I do like Tillman a lot as well. He's getting kind of overlooked because of Hyatt's breakout last year, specifically his game against Bama.

On 3/31/2023 at 1:32 PM, NYRaider said:

6'2 208 with 4.50 speed is generational?

Devonta Smith is 6" 170lbs and ran a 4.48. So yea.. I think a guy 40lbs heavier running that speed is an absolute nightmare for defenses. Generational... ok maybe a bit overzealous but the dude is going to be a big problem. We haven't had a WR like that since prime OBJ.

12 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Devonta Smith is 6" 170lbs and ran a 4.48. So yea.. I think a guy 40lbs heavier running that speed is an absolute nightmare for defenses. Generational... ok maybe a bit overzealous but the dude is going to be a big problem. We haven't had a WR like that since prime OBJ.

He’s fine as a prospect but he’s honestly smaller and slower than I thought he’d be. 

If you want to bet on an insanely athletic wide receiver with potential 'generational' tools...

His athletic profile is what we thought Quentin Johnston's was going to be. He's not a good football player right now though. Not nearly as good as Johnston. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, Shockwave said:

I don't disagree about Johnston being a good prospect. But the player you named is a great example of how you h/w/s is just a piece of how good a player is. OBJ wasn't anything special when it came to h/w/s. It was his agility, quickness, hand eye coordination, and catch radius that made him special. That being said, if Johnston is there at 25 (doubtful), he should probably be the pick.