2023 Draft Thread

Acgott

Let's get some wishlists going! 1 day away!

Excluding the guys who will definitely be taken before 25 (QBs Richardson, Young, Levis, OL Skoronski, Johnson Jr, WR JSN, EDGE Wilson, Anderson, DL Carter, CB Gonzalez, Witherspoon), here's my top 10:

1. Nolan Smith

2. Brian Branch

3. Zay Flowers

4. Deonte Banks

5. Joey Porter Jr

6. Jordan Addison

7. Adetomiwa Adebawore

8. Bijan Robinson

9. Michael Mayer

10. Darnell Washington

That's only 21 players, so there is a chance all of those guys are taken, even though I didn't include players like Darnell Wright, CJ Stroud, O'Cyrus Torrence, Broderick Jones, Dawand Jones, Myles Murphy, Calijah Kancey, and Lukas Van Ness.

Honorable mentions (guys who I don't really have 1st tier grades on, but I still love and would be happy with at 25): Quan Martin, Will McDonald, Julius Brents, BJ Ojulari. I'd be happy with Myles Murphy too. Kancey would be fine. I think taking a C at 25 is a pretty severe overdraft.

If Porter drops to 18ish I'll be hoping for a trade-up. I think he is the best fit. Bobby Skinner has Jordan Addison as the most likely pick at 25. None of these guys are WR1s (Quentin Johnston has the best chance based on size-speed) but I'd be happy with Addison there. I do not want iOL or ILB in the 1st round. If for whatever reason Bijan Robinson is still there and there is simply no value at our positions of need, I wouldn't hate drafting him but (1) I don't think he'll be there and (2) I think there will be enough value at our positions of need where we shouldn't do it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

If Porter drops to 18ish I'll be hoping for a trade-up. I think he is the best fit. Bobby Skinner has Jordan Addison as the most likely pick at 25. None of these guys are WR1s (Quentin Johnston has the best chance based on size-speed) but I'd be happy with Addison there. I do not want iOL or ILB in the 1st round. If for whatever reason Bijan Robinson is still there and there is simply no value at our positions of need, I wouldn't hate drafting him but (1) I don't think he'll be there and (2) I think there will be enough value at our positions of need where we shouldn't do it.

Addison is a bit underrated. He really is relatively similar to Devonta Smith. Not as explosive, but the same kind of smooth, solid, innately talented wide receiver that is a bit undersized. I think he can play inside and outside. I'd worry about him in press, but are we really worried about WRs against press anymore? Who runs press coverage with any amount of regularity?

Well Quentin Johnston is still my pick. In my opinion he makes the most immediate and impactful addition to the team. This league is all about scoring and without a true #1 the offense isn't going to take that next step. He has the size and speed, the fundamentals I will leave up to Dabs and Kafka. Can't go wrong with a CB and getting Wink a lockdown corner would be 2nd on my list of priorities. But right now a true #1 WR is what I think could put us over the hump into a real contender. I see Johnston as a day 1 major contributor. 

Porter in the 1st and Mingo in the 2nd would be awesome too

Edited by Shockwave

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Addison is a bit underrated. He really is relatively similar to Devonta Smith. Not as explosive, but the same kind of smooth, solid, innately talented wide receiver that is a bit undersized. I think he can play inside and outside. I'd worry about him in press, but are we really worried about WRs against press anymore? Who runs press coverage with any amount of regularity?

I like Addison, he's just not an alpha receiver. He'll put up good numbers and I'd love to have him on our team. He's just not a throw the ball up and go get it type of guy. 

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

I like Addison, he's just not an alpha receiver. He'll put up good numbers and I'd love to have him on our team. He's just not a throw the ball up and go get it type of guy. 

That guy doesn't exist in this draft. Quentin Johnston has like a 35% contested catch rate. Flowers 58%, JSN 90%, Addison 22%, Downs 72%. We also have that guy on our roster already in Darren Waller. That's also not the kind of offense we run. We need guys who can get open; that's what Dabs values and that's what Schoen values.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

That guy doesn't exist in this draft. Quentin Johnston has like a 35% contested catch rate. Flowers 58%, JSN 90%, Addison 22%, Downs 72%. We also have that guy on our roster already in Darren Waller. That's also not the kind of offense we run. We need guys who can get open; that's what Dabs values and that's what Schoen values.

I just feel like we have an abundance of those guys. What would propel us forward is a big guy with speed who can take the top off the D go up and contest a deep catch against a CB. Maybe that guy is JSN, but I think you have to trade up to get him. Maybe it's Hyatt in the 2nd, maybe it's Mingo, but if he's on the board at 25... it's most def Johnston. Mark my words.. 5 years from now.. Johnston will be an absolute stud and we will be kicking ourselves for not taking him. 

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Gibbs is getting momentum at 25. Schrager has him in the mock to the Giants. Breer mentions him in his.

I would hate that, and also do NOT see it happening. Schoen is a big believer in positional value. This would very much go against that.

I'm realizing that mock drafts are useless for teams picking 16 and later. Even the absolute best, mock accurate mock drafts hit at ~35% across the entire first round, with just about all of those correct picks being inside the top-10. Peter Schrager got 1 pick after 10 right last year, and the most accurate mock drafter, Charlie Campbell, got 0. With this being talked up as one of the most unpredictable draft years in a while, there is no chance any of these picks are right.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I'm realizing that mock drafts are useless for teams picking 16 and later. Even the absolute best, mock accurate mock drafts hit at ~35% across the entire first round, with just about all of those correct picks being inside the top-10. Peter Schrager got 1 pick after 10 right last year, and the most accurate mock drafter, Charlie Campbell, got 0. With this being talked up as one of the most unpredictable draft years in a while, there is no chance any of these picks are right.

Schrager has Giants connections which is why I brought it up. Since it’s also been backed by another top national reporter has well. We don’t need another David Wilson situation.

8 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Schrager has Giants connections which is why I brought it up. Since it’s also been backed by another top national reporter has well. We don’t need another David Wilson situation.

I don't think he has Giants connections like he thinks he does. He was way off of our picks last year at both 5 and 7.

Liking our 1st rd pick Banks. Just sick to my stomach though watching the Eagles come away with Carter and Smith. The rich just get richer and we still are not even close to their level. It just boggles my mind how some teams, the draft just falls right to them. 

Edited by Giants4eva