Thoughts on the McVay-Goff headset talk

RamRod

I'm sure most of you guys have probably heard now but there's been a lot of talk about how McVay has been in Goff's ear up until the 15 second mark on the play clock until the headset communication shuts off. A lot of people seem to think this is like a crutch for Goff and Chris Simms has gone as far as to say it's "unethical and cheating." 

I don't really understand the fuss though. We're perfectly within the rules and we've been successful. Maybe if Simms had someone coaching him along through the headset his career wouldn't have been so bad. McVay said he took a similar approach with Cousins and it's nothing out of the ordinary and it's an attempt to discredit what Goff has done this season.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about here's an article

http://m.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/How-Does-McVay-Communicate-with-Goff-Before-the-Snap/6ee046fc-f9c8-4891-b72c-42f5ad154412

I don’t know what the big deal is about. Last season OC Boras could’ve did the same thing to help both Goff and Keenum. So if it was that simple and “only” McVay is doing it, how come the Browns and other teams that are struggling badly at QB doesn’t do it to help at least make their QB play decent? So I think it’s a non issue and others are trying to make it to be an issue.

I don't see how it's cheating or unethical.  This just shows how great McVay is.  I don't think anyone is trying to discredit Goff.  I've read multiple Rams fans, I believe one or two on here, that said Jared Goff calls or influences 70%-80% of the plays on the field and that's obviously not true with the information the OP in this thread provided.

Goff's season would be getting more praise than it is right now if it wasn't for Carson Wentz and how absurd he has played this season.

39 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't see how it's cheating or unethical.  This just shows how great McVay is.  I don't think anyone is trying to discredit Goff.  I've read multiple Rams fans, I believe one or two on here, that said Jared Goff calls or influences 70%-80% of the plays on the field and that's obviously not true with the information the OP in this thread provided.

Goff's season would be getting more praise than it is right now if it wasn't for Carson Wentz and how absurd he has played this season.

The OP only bolsters that argument, dude.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

How?  McVay is calling the plays and then changing the plays for Goff afterwards.

Watch the video's and read the article not just the title? It's addressed in the video, people make it out to be it happens all the time and he does everything for Jared. Which just isn't the case.

Just now, showtime said:

How?  McVay is calling the plays and then changing the plays for Goff afterwards.

That's very clearly NOT what McVay said. I'm not sure how you got that from this:

The head coach even pushed back a bit on the criticism, saying that kind of talk is attempting to take away from what Goff has accomplished as a quarterback this season.

“To say that you’re in his ear — because I’ve seen some of the things out there — I think it’s a discredit to what Jared has done,” McVay said. “And really, when you just look at it with the experiences that I’ve had in Washington and here, it’s totally at the quarterback’s discretion whether they want to have you be able to talk to them, give them any sort of reminders or if they say, ‘Just give me the play and then let me go ahead and just play the position.’”

“He’s doing a lot of different things at the line and that’s really a credit to him because a lot of that communication goes on after that 15 second window. And then, like I said, there’s different various tempos that we operate with,” McVay added. “But, to say that I’m in his ear the whole time — that wouldn’t be the case.”

McVay said Goff does have some leeway to make changes at the line of scrimmage when necessary. And it can be necessary, because there are times when the play clock is under 15 seconds and Los Angeles’ offense is already at the line of scrimmage.

We’ve got certain where we’ve got packages of plays and we might say, ‘Hey, we’re looking to run it.’ And he knows the menu that we’re operating off of or we’re looking to throw it and based on some of the looks that we’ve gone through throughout the course of the week with our weekly preparation,” McVay said. “That’s part of what the week of preparation is, is becoming that extension of what we’re looking for.”

Even so, Goff said he doesn’t try to do too much to supersede McVay.

“Most of the time he calls the play and he knows what he’s talking about, so I let him do it,” Goff said. But there’s plenty of times where it gets below 15 and we have to adlib it a little bit. It doesn’t happen often, but there are times where that’ll happen and it’s been really good so far though the way we’ve been communicating. Obviously, we’ve had success with it, so it’s been a good experience so far.”

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

Watch the video's and read the article not just the title? It's addressed in the video, people make it out to be it happens all the time and he does everything for Jared. Which just isn't the case.

I can't watch the video, but I read the article in bits.  McVay said Goff does have the leeway to make changes.  I already understand that.  Nobody here is saying he does everything for Goff, but he does a lot.

15 minutes ago, showtime said:

I can't watch the video, but I read the article in bits.  McVay said Goff does have the leeway to make changes.  I already understand that.  Nobody here is saying he does everything for Goff, but he does a lot.

“He’s doing a lot of different things at the line and that’s really a credit to him because a lot of that communication goes on after that 15 second window. And then, like I said, there’s different various tempos that we operate with,” McVay added. “But, to say that I’m in his ear the whole time — that wouldn’t be the case.”

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yes, obviously Goff makes some changes and McVay is not in his ear the whole time.  In the article Goff even says that McVay calls the initial play.  Goff also said there are times that adlibs need to be made 'a little bit... it doesn't happen often'.  That's out of Goff's mouth.

I think we're just talking in circles here.  At the end of the day, Goff is the one who is out there throwing the football and actually executing the plays, not McVay.

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yes, obviously Goff makes some changes and McVay is not in his ear the whole time.  In the article Goff even says that McVay calls the initial play.  Goff also said there are times that adlibs need to be made 'a little bit... it doesn't happen often'.  That's out of Goff's mouth.

I think we're just talking in circles here.  At the end of the day, Goff is the one who is out there throwing the football and actually executing the plays, not McVay.

Again, you keep picking and choosing what to read. You're conveniently ignoring McVay saying this:

“We’ve got certain where we’ve got packages of plays and we might say, ‘Hey, we’re looking to run it.’ And he knows the menu that we’re operating off of or we’re looking to throw it and based on some of the looks that we’ve gone through throughout the course of the week with our weekly preparation,” McVay said. “That’s part of what the week of preparation is, is becoming that extension of what we’re looking for.”

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Again, you keep picking and choosing what to read. You're conveniently ignoring McVay saying this:

“We’ve got certain where we’ve got packages of plays and we might say, ‘Hey, we’re looking to run it.’ And he knows the menu that we’re operating off of or we’re looking to throw it and based on some of the looks that we’ve gone through throughout the course of the week with our weekly preparation,” McVay said. “That’s part of what the week of preparation is, is becoming that extension of what we’re looking for.”

That saints opening TD was all Goff reading the D, Even Romo picked up on it. 

Archived