Change is Imminent Mock Offseason

WindyCity

Coaching

HC: John DeFillipo [Eagles QB Coach]

After the Bears left Philadelphia word followed them home that the Eagles were the most worried about losing Defillippo and that he was  a huge part of the Wentz explosion. The Bears need to try and capture some of that magic. DeFillippo has now been involved in the development of Derek Carr and Carson Wentz, he has some play calling experience in Cleveland, and he appears to be the next hot name in QB coaching. DeFillippo is the young, offensive mind that the Bears have been desperate for and he is coming off 2 years where he studied with a couple of experienced offensive coordinators and former NFL QBs.

OC: Greg Olson [Rams QB Coach]

Olsen has a ton of experience as a play caller and as QB developer. He is currently the QB coach with Jared Goff in LA and would provide Defillippo with an experience play caller to lean on and another QB focused person to work with Trubisky. Olson was the OC for Carr's rookie year in Oakland and DeFillippo was his QB coach, so Olson has been involved in the development of Carr and Goff.

DC: Mike Pettine [Browns HC]

Pettine has been rumored to be connected with Matt Nagy, but he and DeFillippo worked together in Cleveland and Pettine gave John his first shot as a play caller. Pettine has had success running an aggressive 3-4 defense and is a nice fit with the personnel that the Bears have. His head coaching experience is a bonus as he can be a sounding board and mentor for DeFillippo.  Pettine is experienced and can be trusted to run the defense while DeFillippo focuses on the QB and offense.

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11 million]-A complete failure of a free agent signing.
TE Dion Sims [4.5 million]-He has been mediocre at catching and blocking and there is an out in his contract
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Has done nothing and been injured and an easy one to move on from
LB Jerrel Freeman[3.5 million]-Younger players took his job. He can still play, but you do not keep a 32 year old guy when you have young guys ready to play
LB Pernell McPhee [7 million]-injuries and a big contract
LB Willie Young [4.5 million]-injuries and age
OT Bradley Sowell
OT Tom Compton

Re-Signed/Extended

NT Eddie Goldman 5 years 44 million/26 guaranteed

Goldman needs to be extended and coming off what is looking like a monster season the Bears need to do it now and use the 1 year remaining on his deal as leverage and allowing them to spread the money over 5 years instead of 4.

Old Money: 1 year 2 million
New Money: 4 years 42 million/26 guaranteed 

CB Kyle Fuller: Franchise Tag

This staff seems to have had question marks about Fuller, they didn't draft him, and while he has played well I think they give him the Alson treatment and make him earn it for one more year.

CB Prince Amukamara 2 years 14 million/7 guaranteed
LB Christian Jones  3 years 15 million/8 guaranteed
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed
P Pat O'Donnell 3 years 10 million/4 guaranteed
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 3 million/750k guaranteed
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 4.5 million/2 guaranteed
WR Dontelle Inman 3 year 10/4 guaranteed
RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.2 million
LS Patrick Sclaes [RFA]
LB John Timu [RFA]
Daniel Brown [RFA]

Free Agents

WR Jarvis Landry [Miami] 4 years 44 million/26 guaranteed

The Bears need a upgrade at WR and Landry is probably one of the top 2-3 WRs that should hit the market. The system that DeFillipo is bringing from Philly heavily uses a slot WR and Mitch has had success in the past heavily using a slot WR. Landry is an elite slot WR and he catches a ton of passes. He creates after the catch and he can give Trubisky a consistent short to intermediate target that can create after the catch.

jarvis-landry.jpg

OLB Trent Murphy [Washington] 2 years 17 million/6 guaranteed

Murphy is coming off a pre-season ACL that should be healed by free agency, but if healthy Murphy is the perfect strongside OLB in a 3-4 defense. When he was healthy for the Redskins he had 9 sacks, he has great sacks and is a physical edge setter in the run game. Murphy can come in and step into the McPhee role and allow a highly drafted OLB to develop and rush the passer. Murphy gives the Bears a 3 man rotation with a high 1st round pick and Floyd.

trent-murphy-cowboys-week-2-660-350.jpg

WR Donte Moncrief [Indianapolis] 3 years 16 million/7 guaranteed

The Bears need an outside speed option at WR and Moncrief is 2nd in the NFL at 16 ypc and has shown that he can uses his 4.4 speed to get behind defense. Moncreif has fallen off in Indianapolis and would fit with the Ryan Pace method of buying lower on talented and under used players. Moncreif can step in across from Meredith on the outside and not only provides speed, but at 6'2" 225lbs also gives the size to protect against some of Mitch's accuracy issues that have popped up.

Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Indianapolis+Colts

TE Tre Burton [Philadelphia] 4 years 18 million/8 guaranteed

More than likely Zach Miller is not playing football again and the Bears need a flex TE that can step into that role and allow Shaheen to stay inline where he seems more comfortable. The Bears need a veteran and Burton knows the system and has started to grow into a pass catcher.

580App-Trey-Burton-092016.JPG

Draft

1[1] Cleveland Browns: QB Josh Rosen [UCLA]
1[2] NY Jets [SF]: QB Baker Mayfield [OU]
1[3] NY Giants: QB Lamar Jackson [Louisville]
1[4] Indianapolis Colts: OLB Bradley Chubb [NC State]

1[5] OLB Clelin Ferrell [Clemson] 6'5" 265lbs.

OLB needs to be the priority in the 1st round. It represents great position value, good pass rushers always go quickly, and the free agent class is terrible. Ferrell is super young and has only 2 years of production, but he is also so athletic and dangerous off the edge. Ferrell has the length and size that is desired at the position and is explosive off the snap and has really nice hand use to get the edge. He consistently beat the Auburn LT off the edge and used great hand work to make sure that he was able to accelerate to the QB. The athletic upside is incredible for a player who is still growing. Ferrell should immediately be part of the pass rush rotation and should eventually have a power component to his game that could make him a Justin Houston type OLB.

ClelinFerrell-610x354.jpg

2[37] OT Martinas Rankin [Mississippi St] 6'5" 315lbs.

The Eagles put a ton on the plate of their OTs and they ask them to do a lot. One of the Eagles primary run plays is an OT pull that Lane Johnson runs brilliantly. They also do not help their OTs at all in pass protection, which allows them to flood the coverage with options. The Bears do not have the OT combination to do this. Massie is the weak link and is neither athletic enough to run the trap pull or to consistently be relied upon to hold up 1 on 1 in pass protection. Rankin, who plays LT for Mississippi St, has the size and athletic ability to step in and provide the Bears with an upgrade at RT and allow them to run the offense that the Eagles are running. A protection upgrade for Trubisky should also provide him with increased security to work on his mechanics and footwork, which have suffered in recent weeks.

MartinasRankin.jpg

4. CB Brandon Faycson [Virginia Tech] 6'2" 197lbs.

If the Bears re-sign Fuller and Amukamara I like the CB group, but I think they need to add depth. The Bears need to add a CB with the size and speed to play on the outside. I am not 100% that Cooper survives the offseason or camp, and by adding Fayscon you add a big outside CB, that comes from a press man system that you can have compete. The injuries at CB have long been an issue for the Bears and quality developmental depth is a big need. The Pettine defense puts a lot of pressure on the CB position and I think having the most options and competitiion will give them a better chance of getting the results they want.

Brandon+Facyson+Parris+Campbell+Ohio+Sta

4. OLB Davin Bellamy [Georgia] 6'5" 245lbs.

The Bears need to totally re do the OLB spot and they need to add more speed and pass rush then they have right now. By adding Ferrill they have an elite athletic pass rusher and by adding Bellamy they have another athlete to develop. Bellamy is not a finished product and he needs work, but he gets time before he needs to step into a rotation. Bellamy is similar to Floyd coming into the league, and as he adds weight and pass rush moves he could become another wave of pass rush that the Bears have. Bellamy for 2018 gives the special teams coordinator a super sized athlete to work onto teams.

USATSI_10301818-718x490.jpg

5. WR Steve Ishmael [Syracuse] 6'2" 210lbs.

The Bears need to add at least 1 WR in the draft, but the big free agency buy allows them to wait and focus picks at positions where the free agent class sucks [OLB and OT]. Ishmael has the outside size and a little speed to backup Moncrief and develop. He also has the size and speed that he could factor onto special teams as a rookie.

2017-10-13-dn-supregame19jpg-a0b55da2a7f

6. C Austin Golson [Auburn] 6'5" 310lbs.

The lack of a true backup C on the roster has been an issue all year as Grasu is terrible. The Bears need someone who can play C in the event that Whitehair is injured or that he transitions to OG in 2019 to replace Sitton who will be out of contract. Golson has the size to be a versatile interior backup and he comes from a run heavy system where he has shown he can handle the big boy interior DL of the SEC. Golson can come in and compete with Morgan to start in 2019 and ensures that the Bears do not run out of OLmen in 2018.

12162115.jpeg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, Landry, Moncrief, Inman, Ishmael, White
TE: Shaheen, Burton, Brown
LT: Leno
LG: Long, Kush
C: Whithair, Golson
RG: Sitton, Morgan
RT:  Rankin, Massie

RE: Bullard/Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Bellamy
ILB: Jones/Kwaitowski
ILB: Trevathan, Timu
OLB: Murphy, Ferrill, Irving  
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Cooper, Fayscon, Leblanc, McManis
SS: Amos, Hall/Bush
FS: Jackson, Demps

I was toying with Defilippo as a HC. IDK if he can make the jump so rapidly, but I wouldn't oppose it given his record at QB development.

MLB is a mess without Trevathan. Makes me really hope Kwiatkowski develops. I think Cooper gets beaten out sooner rather than later for the NB position, and we would be better off for it. He had a stretch of a few games he did well and like usual sinks back to the gutter.

Love the double dip at LB though. It would be nice to say the name Bellamy and it not be cursing it. With time I could see Floyd, Ferrell, and Bellamy all on the field at the same time. Any combination of 2 rush the passer from various spots and one dropping into coverage. Would be great against mobile QBs to have an athlete like one of them and DT mirroring them.

23 minutes ago, yomyyo said:

I want no part of the Dolphins receiving corps. I've not seen this season a more heartless, uncommitted position group. 

Yup.  My buddy is a die-hard Dolphins fan and he said Jarivs Landry is a grade-A douchenozzle. Stay away from that clown.

57 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yup.  My buddy is a die-hard Dolphins fan and he said Jarivs Landry is a grade-A douchenozzle. Stay away from that clown.

good point. i definitely dont want a player that had the most catches of any player ever in their first 3 season in the league. Our WR core could definitely do without that, especially MT10. 

Jones and Kwiatowski can play. 

McPhee has some sacks but has not been good and 8 million is 4x too much to pay him for what he does.

I don't love Landry, but my guess is the WR market is going to get picked over and the Bears will be beggars and not choosers.

28 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

good point. i definitely dont want a player that had the most catches of any player ever in their first 3 season in the league. Our WR core could definitely do without that, especially MT10. 

I'm sure you want Brandon Marshall back too

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I was toying with Defilippo as a HC. IDK if he can make the jump so rapidly, but I wouldn't oppose it given his record at QB development.

What record is that?  I feel like I'm missing something about his record that people are raving about.  He gets great reviews from his colleagues, no doubt.  But prior to working with Wentz, where he's worked under great offensive minds like Pederson and Reich, he was working in NYJ, Oakland, and in Cleveland.   Not exactly teams that are known for their QB play or showing any sort of development.

I do see a lot of success with Wentz and he did have Carr for his rookie season, and for that I'd consider him for an OC position.  But its succhhhh a stretch for me to think he's ready to take that leap to HC considering how little success he's had.

Archived