Week 13 GDT: G(eno)iants @ Raiders?

SilverNBlackFan

1:25 PT Oakland Coliseum. 5-6 Raiders vs 2-9 Giants

16koyo9.jpg 

-Matchup between two playoff teams from last year. Both teams have fell off dramatically this year. Both are among the most disappointing in the league.

-Geno Smith will start. Geno Smith's best games have actually came at the Raiders expense.

-Raiders will be without Amari Cooper and Crabtree. Seth Roberts and Patterson will start.

-Giants will be missing several key starters, inlcuding Janoris Jenkins, Snacks Harrison, Jonathan Cassillas, Justin Pugh. Sterling Shepard looks on track to play

-David Amerson has practiced this week on a limited basis, and he might be able to give it a go.

Questions to be answered:

How will Derek Carr play without his top two WR? He played surprisingly well against Denver while missing Coop and Crab for most of the game. Will be interesting to see who he trusts the most out of what we have available. I think Jared Cook will be in for a big day.

Can Marshawn handle the load? No question we will be very run centered again this week. I thought Marshawn ran very well last week despite what his sub par stats looked like. The Giants have the second worst ranked run defense in the league so Marshawn will hopefully have more room to run. He will get 20+ carries again if the game goes as planned.

Can the defense play well against another bad QB? No question the defense looked slightly improved last week under Pagano, but most of that was due to Paxton Lynch. He might be the worst QB ive ever seen. Worse than Russell.... real talk. Can the defense continue to play well against another poor QB in Geno Smith? We saw Trevor Siemian come in and throw 2 quick TD passes last week, and I believe Smith is on that Siemian level of QBs. So we'll see.

This Giants D still can give our struggling O a hard time...so as long as they don't hrow in their hats because of the recent GM-HC move to sit Eli and basically throw in the towel for the season, this should be a good test for Downing and Carr.

On the other hand this should be a good confident booster for Pagano and the defense...if they can't limit this Geno led Giants O we should just let Pagano and JDR walk after the season...seriously...

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know, I konw...right on queue...

Just wanted to say that Patterson, Roberts and Holton starting isn't anything I'd be puking at really.

They all performed well last game without Coop and Crab to the tune of 7 catches for 150 yards and no drops.

It worked because the offense was able to run the ball effectively. The YPC may not look great but there were very few negative runs all game. I'm am low key excited to see Patterson potentially thrust into a more consistently on field role. He sincerely does feel like the team's 3rd best receiver when he's given the chance.

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know, I konw...right on queue...

Just wanted to say that Patterson, Roberts and Holton starting isn't anything I'd be puking at really.

They all performed well last game without Coop and Crab to the tune of 7 catches for 150 yards and no drops.

Perspective. 54 of that came on a lob vs. an all out blitz to end the game. 1/3 of their total production.

Holton is a one trick pony. Seth is Seth. Patterson I suppose is the Xfactor in the group. 

I imagine Cook will see a lot of targets and we'll see a lot of work to the backs. 

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It worked because the offense was able to run the ball effectively. The YPC may not look great but there were very few negative runs all game. I'm am low key excited to see Patterson potentially thrust into a more consistently on field role. He sincerely does feel like the team's 3rd best receiver when he's given the chance.

That is very true. And with out Snacks we should be able to run on them as well. But the WRs did still catch the ball effectively(which isn't a given for us unfortunately) and make the plays that needed to be made. That was my only point, not that they are allstars or something. Just saying I'm not pulling my hair out they are the starters for one game. I look forward to Patterson as the #1 WR as well but that will mean he draw their #1 CB. Apple isn't scary but is better than the guys that normally cover Patterson.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Perspective. 54 of that came on a lob vs. an all out blitz to end the game. 1/3 of their total production.

Holton is a one trick pony. Seth is Seth. Patterson I suppose is the Xfactor in the group. 

I imagine Cook will see a lot of targets and we'll see a lot of work to the backs. 

Yeah, 54 yards on a lob that was a huge play and that was caught. Period.

But yes, Cook should be the #1 target the offense and the offense won't change with C+C being out so the backs getting outlet passes will still be a part of the playbook.

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

really makes you realize we need a damn WR! def a draft need or moncrief type signing.

Been saying it for awhile now but what we need is to rethink the way our WR core is built. We need a big body #1 WR type for Carr to throw to. Not saying he will actually be the #1 WR with Coop in the fold but he will play the X while Coop is moved around to create mismatches.

Crab is possession WR that we pay like a #1 and doesn't give us the imposing presence and catch radius of a JJ or Evans.

Patterson as the #4 WRs and ST ace is great and Holton in his role is fine as well.

So my hope is over the next few years we get a speedy guy or agility monster(Tyreek Hill, Golden Tate or Jarvis Landry) and an athletic 6'4ish WR to pair with Coop as the 2nd and 3rd WRs. Then this offense could really open up IMO. But just cutting Crab and Roberts without replacements isn't a good idea either which is why I said it would take a few years.

The armchair backseat Gm in me would just cut their salaries (12.5mil cap hit next year) and give it to Jarvis Landry and draft Jaylen Smith, Auden Tate or Allen Lazard in the 4th rd this year.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Maybe the vikes can trade us Treadwell...lol I still have a draft crush on him despite him doing literally zero in the league thus far.

Bit of a bummer. I was high on him as well. Thought he had some Anquan Boldin to his game. He's just to slow a route runner for this level. Another Mike Williams type. May have impact down the road, but looking unlikely. 

17 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

So my hope is over the next few years we get a speedy guy or agility monster(Tyreek Hill, Golden Tate or Jarvis Landry) and an athletic 6'4ish WR to pair with Coop as the 2nd and 3rd WRs. Then this offense could really open up IMO. But just cutting Crab and Roberts without replacements isn't a good idea either which is why I said it would take a few years.

He's a FA. Not sure his market value, but he'd be worth it. Great player. Pair him with Cooper, draft an X and Crab will walk soon. 

Archived