2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This fanbase has a weird dislike of high draft choices. Personally I think it dates back to the Gibbs/Beathard years of just trading all of their picks away. Every single top 10 pick takes on an irrational hatred from this fanbase with maybe the exception of Chris Samuels.

We have a fanbase that is simply obsessed with late round picks and undrafted free agents. Hell, I’ll admit to being guilty of it as well but this fanbase loves to hate them some top 5 picks. Craziest thing I’ve ever seen. 

This is completely inaccurate.  RG3 had a ridiculous amount of fanboys and an unbelievable about people making excuses for him.  People hated Cousins way more than him. 

People dislike Chase Young because he comes across having an entitled attitude when he’s done nothing in this league. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I feel like this fan base loved Trent Williams for a long time. Was Scherff hated? I don't think it was a lot. Sean Taylor is one of the most revered picks ever. RG3 had an incredible one year of love. Not sure I agree with this. 

Sean Taylor was absolutely disliked during the rookie contract dispute and the 4-wheeler incident. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sean Taylor was absolutely disliked during the rookie contract dispute and the 4-wheeler incident. 

And was revered often after that. The incidents don’t take away from the whole. I think that about Trent too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

This fan base has an understandable dislike of underperforming high draft choices that generate unreal expectations. 

FIFY. 

My opinion on the subject is that we have had a few instances where we had the availability to draft "Can't Miss Talents." In this particular case we all were hyped up for this player to dominate for 10+ years. It just hasn't happened. I will say this one hits harder than the Carlos Rogers, Josh Doctson, Laron Landry and Dwayne Haskins (RIP). In my opinion, I think Chase drank the kool-aid on himself too. He cared more about the Chase Young brand and neglected being a professional. There is still time, but like it or not, being absent from any team activity is not a good look. (That includes Montez and Charles)

Yeah I tend to agree.  Whether you agree with not picking up the option or not; Rivera made a point by not picking it up and was hoping for Young to respond.  This is not the response you would hope for.  

• Like 1

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, I’d like to know why Chase missed. I'm disappointed he's not there, but I need to know before I go *s*itting on him but I do understand given Chase’s track record since the 2021 offseason began as MikeT said why most ppl aren't giving him the benefit if the doubt.

Chase was at the Mimi-Camp or OTAs (whatever they were) last month and my hooe is that Rivera knew about Chase’s absence & hopefully he doesn't miss the entire OTAs although I would point out they are voluntary and Sean Taylor amongst others used to skip them back in the day as well.

Edited by turtle28

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is completely inaccurate.  RG3 had a ridiculous amount of fanboys and an unbelievable about people making excuses for him.  People hated Cousins way more than him. 

People dislike Chase Young because he comes across having an entitled attitude when he’s done nothing in this league. 

I like Chase & still believe his his potential when others don't and this statement is 100% accurate. The vast majority of the people who question if Chase will ever live up to his hype or even be a Kerrigan type pass rusher (good, not great) didn't start to question and turn on Chase until OTAs in 2021 when he skipped them & then in Training Camp he had the ridiculous comment about “needing to get his $” and that's why he wasn't there.

Even I, a Chase apologist to a certain degree didn't like that comment, thought it was stupid, and knew it foreshadowed a possible problem going into the 2021 season and sadly those who were gung-ho about that back then were right.

While Chase wasn't as awful as some want to believe in the first half of 2021 before he injured his knee, he also wasn't anything better than above average either which is not what we should get out of a guy with his size, speed, strength, athleticism, and football IQ.

He most certainly has a lot to prove if he wants to get a second contract from Washington instead of Sweat getting that contract and I sure hope this absence was made aware to Rivera and is excused.

15 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I completely disagree. Fans started turning on RG3 after Kirk played the Cleveland game. Pretending that didn't happen is just silly. There was a large segment of the fanbase who concluded we didn't need Trent and he was easily replaced by Ty Nsheke. Same deal with Brandon Scherff and Wes Schweitzer. It just happened last year with Daron Payne. Fans wanted to sell him off during the combine for whatever we could get. For years we heard how overrated the Alabama Wall was. 

I'm not saying Chase doesn't deserve some criticism but he's received an unbelievable amount of it. He's 24-years old and had a major injury halfway into a disappointing second season in which the entire defensive line outside of Jonathan Allen struggled which gets glossed over every time the criticism starts. He had a really good rookie season, bad half of a second season and hasn't played much since. If he sucks this year then I'll be ready to move on but my guess is not picking up the option is going to go the way most of Rivera's decisions have gone. Very poorly. 

56 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Good thing we avoided one of the best off-seasons ever for TE's in free agency and the draft. 

I would hate to have Mike Gisecki or Dalton Schultz on the roster right now.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Good thing we avoided one of the best off-seasons ever for TE's in free agency and the draft. 

Good thing we drafted a corner in the 1st and 2nd round. Makes the glaring holes on offense less pronounced when something like this happens. 

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Good thing we drafted a corner in the 1st and 2nd round. Makes the glaring holes on offense less pronounced when something like this happens. 

And it was just announced, he tore it. So he's done for the year.