2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How is it the guy?  He's our 4th string TE? 

He was the one they consistently said showed the most potential. The one they were excited about. Keeping Thomas on the roster and not addressing TE was beyond stupid. I honestly don't even understand how this is up for debate?

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm confused as to why anyone is freaking out over our 4th string TE getting injured?

it was the run from his own end zone as a Q B -like 102 yards are something . He might have Po-Ten-Tial .

Lol this was our 4th TE. Sure they were developing him, but they also have three other guys they are developing. Freaking out over this certainly is a choice. 

considering they said they aren’t planing on doing any immediate moves because of it… I’m not sure it’s worth the stress yet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He was the one they consistently said showed the most potential. The one they were excited about. Keeping Thomas on the roster and not addressing TE was beyond stupid. I honestly don't even understand how this is up for debate?

We have our incumbent starter returning in Thomas who is another year removed from his major injury. Then we have the very solid Bates as a #2 option still here. Then we have another draft pick in Cole Turner who is athletic with big size, Rogers was definitely the 4th string and was at risk at not even making the final 53.  His injury doesn't impact us at all. 

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We have our incumbent starter returning in Thomas who is another year removed from his major injury. Then we have the very solid Bates as a #2 option still here. Then we have another draft pick in Cole Turner who is athletic with big size, Rogers was definitely the 4th string and was at risk at not even making the final 53.  His injury doesn't impact us at all. 

Logan Thomas is 32-years old and had zero burst last year. Like nothing at all. He also counts $9M against the cap so they could've cut him and signed Schultz for what they're paying him. Cole Turner is the only one that could possibly save this group. The rest are camp fodder and even Turner is nothing to write home about. You don't have to agree but my opinion is not addressing TE while you're attempting to develop a young TE is asinine. Not to mention how awful Logan was blocking last year. Its a mess. 

***Meant developing a young QB lol

Edited by lavar703

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Logan Thomas is 32-years old and had zero burst last year. Like nothing at all. He also counts $9M against the cap so they could've cut him and signed Schultz for what they're paying him. Cole Turner is the only one that could possibly save this group. The rest are camp fodder and even Turner is nothing to write home about. You don't have to agree but my opinion is not addressing TE while you're attempting to develop a young TE is asinine. Not to mention how awful Logan was blocking last year. Its a mess. 

That is a completely different conversation than the 4th string TE getting injured lol. 

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That is a completely different conversation than the 4th string TE getting injured lol. 

Yeah exactly. I was a huge proponent of moving on from Thomas and going to get some of the abundance of talent out there. Agree with almost everything in the post. 

Rodgers getting hurt does not move the needle. I just feel bad for the guy for the injury. 

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You're putting him at 4th string. Rivera never said he was. I'd say he was higher on the depth chart than Turner or Hodges considering he played more than they did. Who knows? Maybe Logan Thomas somehow regains form but he's had two seasons of poor production and usually that doesn't improve with age. John Bates is simply a blocking TE and nothing more. I think we can all agree on that. 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I completely disagree. Fans started turning on RG3 after Kirk played the Cleveland game. Pretending that didn't happen is just silly. There was a large segment of the fanbase who concluded we didn't need Trent and he was easily replaced by Ty Nsheke. Same deal with Brandon Scherff and Wes Schweitzer. It just happened last year with Daron Payne. Fans wanted to sell him off during the combine for whatever we could get. For years we heard how overrated the Alabama Wall was. 

I'm not saying Chase doesn't deserve some criticism but he's received an unbelievable amount of it. He's 24-years old and had a major injury halfway into a disappointing second season in which the entire defensive line outside of Jonathan Allen struggled which gets glossed over every time the criticism starts. He had a really good rookie season, bad half of a second season and hasn't played much since. If he sucks this year then I'll be ready to move on but my guess is not picking up the option is going to go the way most of Rivera's decisions have gone. Very poorly. 

For me, I'll address these in turn.

1. I didn't like RG3 from the start. I was against the trade and didn't want us to pick him. You guys positively flamed me before the draft, after the draft and then all through his rookie year. I just smiled and let things unfold and we all saw what he was. He was a project QB and his injury in the Ravens game sealed his fate for his rookie season on.
  2. Trent? I liked him until he missed a good bit of time and then tried to turn a run-of-the-mill contract dispute into slandering medical personnel for his failure to get a 2nd opinion like an actual adult. And then tried to camoflage it as the organization almost killing him. Quite a lot of fans bought this hook, line, and sinker. Which makes it even worse IMHO. After that I wanted to trade him right then. Which would've maximized his value. The posters here disagreeing with me wanted to keep him--> which is what the FO did and that ended up tanking his value as events unfolded and both sides tanked his value before he was traded. Had they done what I said to do, we could've gotten a 1st or a 2nd from the 49ers.
  3. Scherff? I was okay with keeping him as I knew he anchored the right side and he made whomever we had at RT better.
  4. Payne? You got me there. Until last year, he hadn't shown me much. I thought it might be better trading him for something
  5. Chase? We agree he had a good rookie season and was bad his second season. So not picking up the option was the proper move to me But him missing OTAs (any part of them) after giving us a big stinker of a season in 2021 and then not playing last year except the last 2-3 games? Nope. (*) Yeah, you want to be a leader? Go out and show it. Show up to the stuff that isn't voluntary. (**) He hasn't really proven anything in this league yet. Not really. And he runs his mouth wayyyy too much for a guy who has 9 sacks in 3 years. Get on the field. Produce. Then flap your gums.

(*) for the usual suspects coming at me about this being "voluntary" workouts you can skip typing and not waste your time with that argument with me. As I said above, this is about showing leadership. Be there every day. Hold the freakin' door open for the opening crew so they can get in and set things up for the rest of the team. Do that. Show you are willing to put in more than the minimum. 

(**) and for those who want to argue that Rogers' injury justifies Chase not being there since he is coming back from injury, save that as well. Mathis missed all of last season and he's there.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:39 PM, lavar703 said:

You don't get to pretend like this is a big deal or you care when a bunch of you made excuses for our de facto GM/Head Coach/President Ron Rivera decided he didn't need to show up for the Senior Bowl going into a critical juncture in his contract. 

So then I get to make this a big deal because I cared about it and definitely complained, right?

22 hours ago, Scott Land said:

He's in a contract year now, why risk blowing out his knee again? Reuben Foster ring a bell? Allen Lazard got carted off today. Same as Montez Sweat. Why aren't you going after him for not showing up? I don't blame him either. Why aren't you getting mad about Charles Leno not being there? He's not in a contract year.

Is he gonna keep making business decisions all offseason? All season? Since he's in a contract year. Maybe we just wrap him in bubble wrap 24/7 until Week 1?

Mathis had a Week 1 knee injury last season. He was at OTAs. So the re-injury excuse doesn't work.

Sweat should absolutely be there. He doesn't get a pass. Neither does Leno. All should be there.

22 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

This fan base has an understandable dislike of underperforming high draft choices that generate unreal expectations. 

FIFY. 

My opinion on the subject is that we have had a few instances where we had the availability to draft "Can't Miss Talents." In this particular case we all were hyped up for this player to dominate for 10+ years. It just hasn't happened. I will say this one hits harder than the Carlos Rogers, Josh Doctson, Laron Landry and Dwayne Haskins (RIP). In my opinion, I think Chase drank the kool-aid on himself too. He cared more about the Chase Young brand and neglected being a professional. There is still time, but like it or not, being absent from any team activity is not a good look. (That includes Montez and Charles)

Agree 100%. He had a very good rookie year (not a really great one) and got DROY because it was a down year for rookies. He felt himself a little too much after that season and it carried into the 2021 offseason and TC. And when Week 1 rolled around he never really turned it on and matched all the talking he did. And agree on Sweat and Leno. All 3 should be there since we missed the playoffs last season.

Want to be more than mediocre? Then do the things others are not prepared or willing to do.

• Like 1