TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

On 11/9/2023 at 3:01 PM, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I'm not really qualified to give life or professional advice, but mostly want to contribute what I can from being similar places, I think you'll make good decisions. 

For me it was kind of hard when my wife wanted to work part time once we had kids, and the pay cut was 50% for doing like 20% less work for her, so it was definitely a lot of pressure to keep things rolling/growing at home while wanting to be home with the kids and still building up a business.  Worked out OK and now she's back full time and I'm able to take more risks at work as well as **** off and go windsurfing like today.

I really feel like people (myself included) are scared to take moderate risks* that have moderate-big rewards.  I think a lot of it comes from seeing failure before it happens. I still feel the best path to success is to have really rich parents but it's hard to make that happen after the fact. 

*Learned my limits this week, as well of those of a Wisconsin beach, doing windsurfing,  and sent it a littl;e hard and a little close to shore that ended in a massive crash.  I got up with something sharp and bloody in mouth and had absolute panic I'd knocked out a grown-up tooth.  Took forever to sort through it all before I realized it was actually a zebra mussel shell, and I had crashed so hard my helmet, face, and mouth were all full of sand from hitting the bottom of the lake fairly quickly. Don't do that but do the good risks. Don't hit Wisconsin, but do trust yourself to make good hires and use them wisely. Avoid WI. 

windsurfing in WI ??! what's the water temp in NoV ??! how thick is your wetsuit ?? can you even move around in that thing 

I had to get out of ensenada bc ocean was too cool ha ha hated wearing wetsuit all year 😎 

I can't even conceive of getting wet in windy winter Wisconsin, that's out of control 

Edited by SLCbear

20 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Has anyone heard from Ty? Just realized he hasn't been on the site in 2 months. Really hope he's okay.

Yeah I reached out to him after he was gone for a few weeks.  He said he's good, just taking a break from social media.  Not sure when he will come back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SLCbear said:

windsurfing in WI ??! what's the water temp in NoV ??! how thick is your wetsuit ?? can you even move around in that thing 

I had to get out of ensenada bc ocean was too cool ha ha hated wearing wetsuit all year 😎 

I can't even conceive of getting wet in windy winter Wisconsin, that's out of control 

Yeah I'm not the smartest, but my job is super busy spring through summer, and then parks up in fall right when my wife and kids are in school so fall is my time to play. Suit is 5/3mm and honestly it's more than warm enough until the water goes hard. Trying to go today actually and expected to have to slip and slide over the ice a bit to launch in water. 

I'll be thinking of you, and ensenada being too cold today. Will airmail you a chunk of ice if I can. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Yeah I'm not the smartest, but my job is super busy spring through summer, and then parks up in fall right when my wife and kids are in school so fall is my time to play. Suit is 5/3mm and honestly it's more than warm enough until the water goes hard. Trying to go today actually and expected to have to slip and slide over the ice a bit to launch in water. 

I'll be thinking of you, and ensenada being too cold today. Will airmail you a chunk of ice if I can. 

I guess its a lil different than surfing 🏄‍♂️ bc you are not constantly immersed paddling, sitting waiting on waves  BUT ICE and strong WIND, probably overcast 🌫️ TOO  ,SoUNds terrible 😢 

Coldest day I can ever remember was Dec Myrtle Beach, snow coming down, 3.2 suit boots gloves, after 30-40 mins my joints started locking-up could barely walk out of the water and that's down in South Carolina ! **** ICE/WIND Dec wisconsin 🤪 

Tried to upload a pic from today but can't figure out what it'll accept as a url? Thought about spelling out "ROSEN" in chunks of ice in the water as proof of life but didn't think that would work. 

Today was cool, I was on the cruising longboard as it was light and I though foiling would be sketchy with ice floating around.  Had to chop a path in the ice for about 40' to launch, which was going well until some ******* dog stole the big log I was breaking ice with.  Absolutely lovely day, high 40s, sunny.  Saw an Eagle catch a little duck!  I wear 5/3 suit, hood, helmet, and 6mm boots and honestly I was hot.  Being on the cruising gear meant no crashing so I was pretty dry from the knees up.  If it was windy or overcast I would only have gone for ~1 hour or so as you get tired fast in all that gear. 

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

On 12/14/2023 at 4:01 PM, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Tried to upload a pic from today but can't figure out what it'll accept as a url? Thought about spelling out "ROSEN" in chunks of ice in the water as proof of life but didn't think that would work. 

Today was cool, I was on the cruising longboard as it was light and I though foiling would be sketchy with ice floating around.  Had to chop a path in the ice for about 40' to launch, which was going well until some ******* dog stole the big log I was breaking ice with.  Absolutely lovely day, high 40s, sunny.  Saw an Eagle catch a little duck!  I wear 5/3 suit, hood, helmet, and 6mm boots and honestly I was hot.  Being on the cruising gear meant no crashing so I was pretty dry from the knees up.  If it was windy or overcast I would only have gone for ~1 hour or so as you get tired fast in all that gear. 

Please keep trying ! I would love to see those photos !!

So you are immersed, knees down, and nothing ever locks up ?? feet must go numb after a while !  whats water temp ? teens ? lower ?? 

Edited by SLCbear