2023 Mexico City Zapatas - 4th Draft Season

Techbert

Well, that was busy! Now I have a gap of 40 picks or so. Then I will have 5 picks from 202 on. So I will be watching for a trade I can piggyback on to move up. I do not want 5 late picks, but they are capital I will try not to waste.

Here's one. 7-230 & 7-242 for 6-191.

6-191 Andrew Voorhees og USC

(As I type I see Philly traded out, even though they traded in for it. If they get future picks I will prolly do the trade, but I am not inclined to trade down.)

6-191 for 5(TB)24

Edited by Techbert

The following have camp invites or have signed as UDFA:

Tyson Bagent qb Shep Chi

Mohamed Ibrahim rb Minn Det

Joey Fisher ol Shep SF

Chris Toth ol Aurora Chi

Caleb Sanders dl SDSt NYG

Jason Lewan dl Ill St GB

Liam Anderson lb HC IND

Ivan Pace lb Cin MIN

Alex Ward ls UCF LAR

(If Toth signs, I will cut someone to bring me to 90)

Draft Summary

1-27 Brian Branch db Ala 6-0 190 4.58 5.27 DET 2-45 (18)
3-65 Drew Sanders lb Ark 6-4 235 4.66 8.97 DEN 3-67 (2)
3-87 Kobe Turner dt WF 6-2 288 - 7.10 LAR 3-89 (2)
4-119 Jon Gaines og UCLA 6-4 303 5.01 9.53 AZ 4-122 (3)
5-136 Cory Trice cb Pur 6-3 206 4.47 9.57 PIT 7-241 (105)
5-141 Israel Abanikanda rb Pit 5-10 216 4.45 9.61 NYJ 5-143 (2)
5-160 AT Perry wr WF 6-3.4 194 4.47 9.62 NO 6-195 (35)
6-202 Andrew Voorhees og USC 6-6 310 - n/a BAL 7-229 (27)
7-240 Hunter Luepke fb SDSt 6-1 230 4.61 9.54* DAL udfa (19+)

*Note this is for a fullback, not a running back.

Future draft picks lost: 5(24)

Future draft picks gained: 4(NO)24, 5(TB)24, and 6(BAL)24

Edited by Techbert

Postdraft Pre-Season Roster (to be edited up to Opening Day):

QB Trevor Lawrence JAX, Jarrett Stidham DEN, Tyson Bagent CHI
RB James Robinson NYG,  Cordarrelle Patterson ATL, Eno Benjamin AZ, Jordan Mason SF, D'Ernest Johnson JAX, Izzy Abanikanda NYJ, Hunter Luebke DAL, Mo Ibrahim DET
WR Amari Cooper CLE, Tee Higgins CIN, Elijah Moore NYJ, Marquez Callaway DEN, AT Perry NO
TE Trey McBride AZ, Jack Stoll PHI, Feleipe Franks ATL, Armani Rogers WAS
OT Jedrick Wills CLE, Josh Jones AZ, Terence Steele DAL, Stone Forsythe SEA, Isaiah Wynn MIA
OG Trey Smith KC,  Calvin Throckmorton NO, Jon Gaines AZ, Andrew Voorhees BAL, Joey Fisher 49ers, Chris Toth CHI
C Bradley Bozeman Car, Lloyd Cushenberry DEN

DE/EDGE  Trey Hendrickson CIN, Kayvon Thibodeaux NYG, Uchenna Nwosu SEA, Bryce Huff NYJ, Elerson Smith NYG
DT  Calais Campbell ATL, Neville Gallimore DAL, Travis Jones BAL, James Lynch MIN, Bobby Brown, LAR, Sheldon Rankins HOU, Andrew Billings CHI, Kobe Turner LAR, Caleb Sanders NYG, Jason Lewan GB
LB Bobby Wagner SEA, Christian Kirksey HOU, Kamu Gruiger-Hill CAR, Leo Chenal KCJabril Cox DAL, Jack Cochrane KC, Joe Bachie CIN, Denzel Perryman HOU, Drew Sanders DEN, Liam Anderson IND, Calvin Pace MIN, Isaiah Simmons NYG
CB Cam Sutton DET, Byron Murphy MIN, Desmond King HOU, Robert Rochell LAR, Zyon McCollum TB, Dallis Flowers IND, Sean Murphy-Bunting TEN, Cory Trice PIT
S Tyrann Mathieu NO, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson PHI, Xavier Woods CAR, Ifeatu Melifonwu DET, Tycen Anderson CIN, D'Anthony Bell CLE, Markquese Bell DAL, Joey Blount SEA, Brenden Schooler NE, Brian Branch DET

PK Tyler Bass BUF
P Sam Martin BUF
DS Ross Matiscik JAX, Alex Ward LAR

Edited by Techbert

What was I thinking??? (This is about plan, not evaluations)

I actually made a plan and followed it. First 3 rounds, get 1 defensive position at each level. Then get a guard. Then deepen wr and rb. Try to get a backup qb.

I preferred a DT to an edge, but I thought the quality made an edge more likely. My mock was Will McDonald/Keeanu Benton/Daiyan Henley, (or Banks/Sanders/Dexter... you get the idea) cuz I really like McDonald and thought he would last, but it was not meant to be. Branch is not a pure cb, which I wanted, and I play press so Porter would have been fine on my team, but I decided Branch would make my overall defense better and there were other cornerbacks. I figured Kobe Turner would last longer in the draft but I took him anyway since he fits well on my team, and I heard his name in the background while I was typing and sending.

At the start of Day 3 I saw a gazillion guards but there was a viscious run on them. So I traded up and got the last one that might help me at all this year. (Voorhees is a definite redshirt.) Abanikanda is bigger than I usually get at rb, cuz no matter what I decide before the draft I always pick rb's late or not at all, so I love his size and speed. I expected a slot receiver late, but got a big guy with athleticism who is smart, so I was happy. (A lot of my guys are smart.) I still wanted a cornerback and I grabbed one that was falling and I do not know why (medical?). Luepke was a special teams pick with dreams of Juszczyk in my head.

Overall, very boring draft. I got help, but cannot point to anyone who might be team-changing this year. Bad draft overall, which is why I traded to 2024 when I could, but even in bad drafts there are good players. We will see what I have if anything in 3 years.

But I like the guys.

Evaluations:

Branch db: Really good tackler. Fearless against blockers that outweigh him by over 100#. Against the pass he has good instincts and preparation but will get stung some on deep patterns. He will play on dime some this year and to rest CGJ (both in DET and on the Zaps), and maybe a few snaps outside, but his future is to start at ss/slot when a few contracts expire. Grade him after 2024. Best case is he will be the glue that holds my future defense together.

Sanders  lb: Edge converted for 1 year to lb, and made a lot of tackles. Still has things to learn but he's smart. He'll get stronger, which he needs. And he will be able to rush the passer from mike, as well as drop, and my defense relies on the uncertainty of which way the mike will go on pass plays. This position tends to miss a lot in evaluations but I think Sanders will succeed and DEN is a good place for him. (Some teams valued his edge potential more than linebacker potential, which I would hate, but what can I do if DEN decides to play him at edge?)

Turner dt/5t: We know he is undersized but strong for his size and uses his hands well and has good vision. I also see a smart and subtle player who is not afraid to sabotage a run and let a teammate get all the credit. I think he will (mostly) hold his own in the pros and, like Branch, make the whole defense better. 

Gaines og:  Good experience but needs to get stronger, which is one thing the pros do well if you have a good attitude and Gaines has good attitude. I expect him to be a quality starter but not in 2023. Smart guy and I do not think he will be overwhelmed. My hope is from 2024 on, the only time you hear his name is when they name the starting lineups each week.

Abanikanda rb: Good size. Great speed. He thinks he can catch the ball. I would be happy if he can pass pro. I think he is a better runner than the League thinks. I would use him in my Committee.  I hope IRL he beats out Carter. If not he will be buried in the depth chart. But either way injuries happen and he will get his chance.

Perry wr: I did not expect an X or Z this late, but I got one I think. Not sure which he would do better. Wish he varied his speed more but he does a lot of things well and is smart. Do not know why he slid.

Voorhees og: Polished lineman who tore an acl in combine time. So redshirt. I will eat 2023 to have him for 2024. It will give him time to get stronger. 

Luepke fb: If he were not playing a dying position he would have been drafted and not near the end. Good athlete. Good player. Floor is core special teams. Mid-range is goal-line blocker and/or ball carrier. Ceiling is a creative OC that can mess up teams that forgot how to stop fullbacks.

UDFA's: Hope I got a backup quarterback. The small rb is fun. The two OL are athletic from small schools. One DL is smallish but I think should have been drafted and the other is big and might stick. One linebacker is a known missile that is just short and has scheme limits, but I am fine with him just blowing up special teams. The other I hope is a hidden gem who was not deeply hidden. I think my longsnap is near the end of his road so I am trying out a rookie replacement. My only regret is not having a dozen other udfa's I had identified. [BRAG] Last year I had 8 UDFA's make the team straight out of training camp, although I could not keep all 8, so I have a pretty good eye for hidden talent.[/BRAG]

Edited by Techbert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Final Cut Roster (Working):

(NOTE: the way I do this is see who the NFL actually keeps and then makes some cuts. I should be down to 53 tonight or tomorrow night. Good problem to have.)

QB Trevor Lawrence JAX, Jarrett Stidham DEN, Tyson Bagent CHI
RB Cordarrelle Patterson ATL, Jordan Mason SF, D'Ernest Johnson JAX, Izzy Abanikanda NYJ, Hunter Luepke DAL
WR Amari Cooper CLE, Tee Higgins CIN, Elijah Moore NYJ, AT Perry NO
TE Trey McBride AZ, Jack Stoll PHI
OT Jedrick Wills CLE, Josh Jones HOU, Terence Steele DAL, Stone Forsythe SEA
OG Trey Smith KC,  Isaiah Wynn MIA, Calvin Throckmorton CAR
C Bradley Bozeman Car, Lloyd Cushenberry DEN

DE/EDGE  Trey Hendrickson CIN, Kayvon Thibodeaux NYG, Uchenna Nwosu SEA, Bryce Huff NYJ 
DT  Calais Campbell ATL, Travis Jones BAL, Bobby Brown, LAR, Sheldon Rankins HOU, Andrew Billings CHI, Kobie Turner LAR
LB Bobby Wagner SEA, Leo Chenal KCDrew Sanders DEN,  Isaiah Simmons NYG, Kamu Gruiger-Hill CAR, Ivan Pace MIN
CB Cam Sutton DET, Byron Murphy MIN, Zyon McCollum TB, Dallis Flowers IND, 
S Tyrann Mathieu NO, Xavier Woods CAR,Tycen Anderson CIN, D'Anthony Bell CLE, Markquese Bell DAL, Brenden Schooler NE, Brian Branch DET

PK Tyler Bass BUF
P Sam Martin BUF
DS Alex Ward LAR

IR rb Eno Benjamin NO, te Armani Rogers WAS og Jon Gaines AZ, og Andrew Voorhees BAL, dt James Lynch MIN, cb Cory Trice PIT, Denzel Perryman HOU, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson PHI, 

Lost to other teams: cb Desmond King Pit, Sean Murphy-Bunting TEN, Neville Gallimore DAL,  Ifeatu Melifonwu DET, Jack Cochrane KC, Joe Bachie CIN, 

Edited by Techbert

Practice Squad: I don't populate practice squads. Anyone can sign off any practice squad to any team without protection. They have meaning IRL but not in this simulation.

Future draft picks lost: 5(24), 7(24)

Future draft picks gained: 4(NO)24, 5(TB)24, and 6(BAL)24

Edited by Techbert