2023 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

Packerraymond

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Apparently we drafted a 7th round WR, a TE that can't get open and another TE that can't play the position. Thrilling analysis you'll find in the NFL General subforums.

Wasn't that analysis just from this forum? 

Just now, Smidgeon said:

Wasn't that analysis just from this forum? 

Nope.  It was from me in the draft subforum.  As a Packers fan, I'm not a fan of what we've done so far.  LVn looks the part, but he doesn't do more than bullrush right now.  That said, he has room to grow.  Musgrave was an awful pick imo.  He is a great athlete but has no clue how to play TE, no clue how to block, and gets injured.  That's not good at 42.  Reed at 50 is even worse.  He is a 3rd day guy at best with poor testing scores outside of a fast 40(which is largely useless in terms is scouting a WR).  He's a JAG.  Not what you want at 50.  Kraft I mind the least of our day 2 picks, but he has to make a huge jump in terms of competition.  He needs a lot of seasoning to be a viable NFL player.

43 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Nope.  It was from me in the draft subforum.  As a Packers fan, I'm not a fan of what we've done so far.  LVn looks the part, but he doesn't do more than bullrush right now.  That said, he has room to grow.  Musgrave was an awful pick imo.  He is a great athlete but has no clue how to play TE, no clue how to block, and gets injured.  That's not good at 42.  Reed at 50 is even worse.  He is a 3rd day guy at best with poor testing scores outside of a fast 40(which is largely useless in terms is scouting a WR).  He's a JAG.  Not what you want at 50.  Kraft I mind the least of our day 2 picks, but he has to make a huge jump in terms of competition.  He needs a lot of seasoning to be a viable NFL player.

Going to way disagree with you on Van Ness.  He is a lot like Rashan Gary was when we drafted him.  Bull in a china shop type of guy.  If he puts in the work, we have two very athletic, very strong, very big, very young edge rushers as soon as 2024.  And he is in a very good situation to get playing time but also not be overwhelmed as a rookie.  

I too am not a big fan of the second rounders, but I may have just talked myself into Reed a little.  And I think Kraft is going to be boss. 

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

This sort of post annoys me.

Its fine saying you hate the pick or you wish we had picked someone else is fine. But to flat out say a pick is awful is essentially stating that you are a better talent evaluator that a professional front office NFL scouting team and a highly paid professional general manager.

The level of off-the-charts absolute arrogance is incredible.

You don't know a pick is bad until we have seen them in the NFL. And at this stage I'm sorry but Gutey is better at this than you. His opinion is worth 1000 times what yours is. And he presumably doesn't think its an awful pick.

Like I said, its fine debating picks, whether you like them and what you would have done and how you think they will do. But flat out saying a pick is awful just makes you look a fool.

• Like 4

First if all I want to apologise for directly impacting day 2 of the draft, I fell asleep and missed the entire 2nd and 3rd round. Had I been awake maybe the draft would've turned out differently. You know...butterfly effect and all. 😆

Looking forward to day three. 9 draft picks is alot so i'm expecting one or two trade ups.

The 4th round is where we usually pick up an OL, just not sure who we would target as lots of players who fitted the thresholds has been drafted. I have to think the Packers would like a guy who can be versatile rather than just a pure OT but i'm struggling to find anyone that fits that criteria, maybe Asim Richards perhaps? have to think Dawd Jones is too big for us. If not OT then there's a few guards that might be an option including Chandler Zavala and Mafi.

Fully expect us to draft a QB and kicker.

I would like us to upgrade from Shemar Jean-Charles if we can. Definitely an athletic safety too. I've done zero research into those positions.

Feel fairly certain the Packers will want to draft a RB with both Jones and Dillion potentially on their last year with us. Keaton Michell is a good fit for us here but not confident he would last all the way to the 5th round if we draft an OL. Sean Tucker is interesting but not sure he's the type the Packers go for.

So far we haven't drafted a single top 30 visit prospect. Expect that to change tonight.

Edited by Chili

49 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

This sort of post annoys me.

Its fine saying you hate the pick or you wish we had picked someone else is fine. But to flat out say a pick is awful is essentially stating that you are a better talent evaluator that a professional front office NFL scouting team and a highly paid professional general manager.

The level of off-the-charts absolute arrogance is incredible.

You don't know a pick is bad until we have seen them in the NFL. And at this stage I'm sorry but Gutey is better at this than you. His opinion is worth 1000 times what yours is. And he presumably doesn't think its an awful pick.

Like I said, its fine debating picks, whether you like them and what you would have done and how you think they will do. But flat out saying a pick is awful just makes you look a fool.

Kind of random but I saw a study where they compared public consensus big boards vs where the GMs actually picked players and GMs weren't actually any better or worse at choosing players that "succeeded" in the league than the public.

You guys can all call me Gutey's inside source from now on!!! This wankerish good mock draft I tossed together had the following coming: LVN in the 1st, Musgrave in the 2nd, and Kraft in the 3rd. 

That is hard to do. There must be some forum reward or prize I get for this, right?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Obviously not a flattering post, but at least you're saying it now vs waiting for two years and then saying you knew all along these were bad picks. Can't say I agree on the whole with your viewpoint, but it's tough to argue against the general idea that taking two TE's in the first three rounds is an iffy strategy from a value standpoint.  I actually like the picks though.

I don't suppose you've posted your preferred picks in the pinned "are you smarter than Gute" thread?

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

You guys can all call me Gutey's inside source from now on!!! This wankerish good mock draft I tossed together had the following coming: LVN in the 1st, Musgrave in the 2nd, and Kraft in the 3rd. 

That is hard to do. There must be some forum reward or prize I get for this, right?

You'd maybe have the fishing trip locked up if you entered those in the draft contest.