2023 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

Packerraymond

5 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

? Musgrave > LaPorta

Kraft is next in line considering Washington was probably off most teams boards 

Many had LaPorta ahead of Musgrave and he was ahead of Mayer for me too. The NFL seemed to agree too . 9 drops in 38 catches with 2 tds is a bit scary. 

Edited by PackFan13

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Considering that Gute has hit on zero players in the 3rd round and drafted one pro bowl caliber player in the 2nd(though hopefully Christian changes that) since taking over, let's stop pretending like he is infallible.

I hope I'm wrong about these guys and ill happily eat crow if I am, but sometimes a pick is bad from the minute its made.

One thing I've learned over 30 years following the draft is you don't ever know who's going to hit and who is going to bust.  It is never a bad pick until proven otherwise.  You know on the field.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Considering that Gute has hit on zero players in the 3rd round and drafted one pro bowl caliber player in the 2nd(though hopefully Christian changes that) since taking over, let's stop pretending like he is infallible.

I hope I'm wrong about these guys and ill happily eat crow if I am, but sometimes a pick is bad from the minute its made.

You just made about 6 people's block list 

• Like 1

Just now, PackFan13 said:

You just made about 6 people's block list 

Hopefully it is just the guys that were drafted in the 3rd round reading what fans think.  He is talking football, he just happens to have a different opinion.  

So far, I gather that I am more bullish on LVN and Kraft than he is, and pretty much in the same boat on Reed and Musgrave.  

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

One thing I've learned over 30 years following the draft is you don't ever know who's going to hit and who is going to bust.  It is never a bad pick until proven otherwise.  You know on the field.  

Disagree.  Some are obvious.  I think a RB who can't run inside and who can't pass protect at 12 is always a bad pick.

• Like 1

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Hopefully it is just the guys that were drafted in the 3rd round reading what fans think.  He is talking football, he just happens to have a different opinion.  

So far, I gather that I am more bullish on LVN and Kraft than he is, and pretty much in the same boat on Reed and Musgrave.  

And ill reiterate, I hope all 4 guys we took turn into gold jacket guys.

I dont think they will though.

Now, if we land Antonio or Skinner today, ill be thrilled.

9 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

It's fine to not like a pick and think a different player should have been picked.  Since you seem well versed in these players, maybe state who you would have selected at those picks instead.

Plenty of picks don't pan out, so throwing a blanket across all 4 looks like playing the field without actually hanging your hat on a single player like a GM has to do.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

It's fine to not like a pick and think a different player should have been picked.  Since you seem well versed in these players, maybe state who you would have selected at those picks instead.

Plenty of picks don't pan out, so throwing a blanket across all 4 looks like playing the field without actually hanging your hat on a single player like a GM has to do.

I'll circle around and do my smarter than Gute list in the next day or so.

And while many picks don't pan out, 0 for 5 in the 3rd round with 5 awful players is not a good track record.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I'll circle around and do my smarter than Gute list in the next day or so.

Do it now like the GM has to.  Seeing the full draft played out gives you the advantage on future events and players available that impact your " on the clock " decision.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

And while many picks don't pan out, 0 for 5 in the 3rd round with 5 awful players is not a good track record.

agreed, track record hasn't been good.  So put 1 name down and see if you end up better.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Not getting one of the tier one TEs is a bummer.  I wanted LaPorta after Kincaid rightfully went round one. 

Not sure if you are saying Laporta is/was a tier 1 TE?

Went to various "top 100" lists, and Musgrave was usually ranked higher.

Laporta : 43, 66, 50, 94, 64, 45, 44, 50, 46, 41
Musgrave: 49, 50, 23, 47, 33, 33, 38, 36, 21, 58