2023 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Well if we start the post Rodgers era drafting a TE WR IOL or ILB in the top 20, Gute will be my new Rodgers.

Putting WR in that grouping of positions should be post marked 2008.

3rd highest paid position in the game = premium position.

Rookie value should be calculated on what you save over a premium veteran contract when you have a high WAR (guess we can use high DVOA for NFL terms) player on a rookie deal. WR is a premium position in 2023. 

RB, IOL, TE, S, ILB; there's your non premiums.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rookie value should be calculated on what you save over a premium veteran contract when you have a high WAR (guess we can use high DVOA for NFL terms) player on a rookie deal. WR is a premium position in 2023. 

It’s paid because they sell tickets and bring in revenue, not because they’re difficult to find.

If you want to make money you’re 100% right. If you want to win Super Bowls you’re 100% wrong.

52 players had over 8 yards per target in 2022. That’s up from 40 players in 2008.

In 2003, before the Manning Rule, that number was 32.

This is also reflected in rookie receivers. Olave and Wilson just had 1000 yard rookie seasons.

There have been 12 receivers to have 1,000 yard rookie seasons before 2008. There have been 13 after 2010.

This is 80+, 38 years in the modern era of the NFL having less  than the past 11 years.

If you can’t see how the rule changes have effected the ease with which you can find NFL receivers, you haven’t been paying attention.

Edited by MacReady

42 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Has Carolina made it known who they are going to pick?  A lot of times, the deal for the first pick is all but done before the draft starts.  I haven't heard anything, but that doesn't mean that nothing has happened.  

Follow the money, Bryce Young is -5000 to be the first pick. 

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My only question is this...to the board...

WHAT BOURBON AM I DRINKING TONIGHT?

Blantons?  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof?  Knob Creek 12 year?  Pappy Van Winkle, 10 year?  1792 Sweet Wheat?  Elijah Craig 18 year?  McKenna 10 year?  Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel?  Eagle Rare?

Or...do I stick with some lesser labels, like New Riff Single Barrel, Old Forrest Prohibition Style, Knob Creek Single Barrel or 12 Point Droptine?

La di da Mr. extended pinky drinker.   This is NFL Draft night.  This isn't that kind of fancy schmancy event.   You open a bottle of Old Crow (better yet, you open another bottle of Old Crow) and you annoy everyone in the house by kawing incessantly.    That is NFL Draft night

Edited by Kampfgeist
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Right, the "WR isn't a premium position" narrative needs to die. Given the recent success of a lot of rookie WRs and how they are paid nowadays, it's a growing premium position. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

It’s paid because they sell tickets and bring in revenue, not because they’re difficult to find.

If you want to make money you’re 100% right. If you want to win Super Bowls you’re 100% wrong.

I want to win Super Bowls by saving money on high level starters on rookie deals vs paying out veteran contracts. That way I can plug the holes in my roster at the non premiums with the cap space I save. 

Has nothing to do with revenue and everything to do with how the roster is constructed and salaries divided up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gopackgo972 said:

I just started a mock draft and JSN was taken by the Titans at 11. Kincaid is gone too. 

Im torn between Christian Gonzalez and Paris Johnson Jr. I think OT is obviously more of a need but it’s hard to not take Gonzo in this situation.

who would you pick?

My god, I hope we have this decision to make tonight...

• Like 1

I think we've been groomed to think the Packers will take WR/TE by media bombardment. 

The Packers HAVE to help Jordan Love.  BS, leave that argument behind, do what's best for the team.  We don't even know for sure IF JLove is going to be our future or not.  Do what's best for the team and that starts in the trenches.  PPJ is probably #1 on our list, but then what is the plan for Tom?  If you believe Tom is your LT of the future then we're looking at defense.

Would love to see Gute's board, it is never quite like we might think.

Is JSN really a top 15 pick or is he just getting elevated because of the dearth of top end WR talent?  Don't force this pick to 'help' Love, do what's best for the team.

Theoretical:  Trade down with Pittsburgh. 13 and 78 for 17 and 49.  Pick 17 is, surprise, Mazi Smith DT and a total athletic freak.  42 is Luke Musgrave; 45 is WR Hyatt and 49 is Isaiah Foskey OLB.  Give me those four in the first two rounds and I'm extremely happy.  It also gets us out of that damn third round pick.

We need to firm up our run defense for the betterment of the team.  I can't stop thinking about giving up over 300 yards rushing to the Eagles.

• Like 1