2023 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

Packerraymond

Just now, packfanfb said:

Jefferson was a 5-year vet the minute he stepped on the field. It wouldn't have taken 12 long to figure that out. The "he won't throw to rookies" narrative is overplayed as is, but regardless, it would not have applied to JJ. 

It applied to Davante and every other player we drafted during Rodgers career. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

It applied to Davante and every other player we drafted during Rodgers career. 

That's fine. I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about Rodgers and Jefferson. We made our points. Let's talk about the draft. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Believe 10/11 of those were top 50 picks. If you want early impact from a WR, take them early.

AJ Green (R1-4, 2011) - 1057 yards

Keenan Allen (R3-76, 2013) - 1046 yards

Mike Evans (R1-7, 2014) - 1051 yards

OBJ (R1-12, 2014) - 1305 yards

Kelvin Benjamin (R1-28, 2014) - 1008 yards

Amari Cooper (R1-5, 2015) - 1070 yards

Michael Thomas (R2-47, 2016) - 1137 yards

AJ Brown (R2-51, 2019) - 1051 yards

Justin Jefferson (R1-22, 2020) - 1400 yards

Ja'Marr Chase (R1-5, 2021) - 1455 yards

Jaylen Waddle (R1-6, 2021) - 1015 yards

Garrett Wilson (R1-10, 2022) - 1103 yards

Chris Olave (R1-11, 2022) - 1042 yards

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

JSN is odd in that he is astonishingly agile and has a respectable broad jump. But his 10yd split is shockingly bad for someone with his COD ability. He's elite at transferring energy but terrible at initiating energy. As long as he keeps moving, he's a plus athlete. If he needs to come to a complete stop that doesn't immediately transfer into different motion, he's a dud athlete 

I think we also need to account for the fact that we're talking about a number where .1 of a second, such a small measure of time that it's really unquantifiable by anything other than a stop watch, is the difference between an elite and bad 10 yard split. JSN does not have a track background, therefore firing out of a 3 point stance into a sprint just might not be comfortable for him. Think a sub 4 short shuttle, with the 3 cone and the tape can tell us that he is quick very comfortably.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My dream scenario if my guy isn't there at 13. Getting a 2nd to move back 6 spots would be robbery. 

Yes, yes we do want to move down 6 spots and get an extra second. If luck were really on our side maybe LVN slides to 19 and we grab him. He's more our type of EDGE. If luck were really, really on our side we'd score Washington, Hyatt and M. Smith with our 3 - 2nds. 

That is my dream draft and asking for too much we get either Bergeron or LaPorta in 3 and end the 3rd round curse. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.  There will be discussion if there is JSN on the board with either an OT or EDGE.  For sure.

Historically I'd say it is an easy win for an OT over a WR in the first.  

But....we do need more Wr's.  And JSN fits nicely.  It'll be fun to watch.

My only question is this...to the board...

WHAT BOURBON AM I DRINKING TONIGHT?

Blantons?  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof?  Knob Creek 12 year?  Pappy Van Winkle, 10 year?  1792 Sweet Wheat?  Elijah Craig 18 year?  McKenna 10 year?  Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel?  Eagle Rare?

Or...do I stick with some lesser labels, like New Riff Single Barrel, Old Forrest Prohibition Style, Knob Creek Single Barrel or 12 Point Droptine?

Makers or Jim Beam Black

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yes, yes we do want to move down 6 spots and get an extra second. If luck were really on our side maybe LVN slides to 19 and we grab him. He's more our type of EDGE. If luck were really, really on our side we'd score Washington, Hyatt and M. Smith with our 3 - 2nds. 

That is my dream draft and asking for too much we get either Bergeron or LaPorta in 3 and end the 3rd round curse. 

The second round (roughly picks 30-60) might be my favorite part of this draft in terms of prospects. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's fine. The bottom-line is that this "rule" stuff is all non-sense, and frankly, even if we met half-way, all rules have exceptions. Drafting a WR or even a TE for that matter at 13 isn't going to send our franchise into the abyss. It's not some catastrophic decision. Stop being so dramatic. Those players will help our team just as much as the next guy. Now, if you're drafting all WRs and TEs in the 1st every year, then yea, you have a gripe worth hearing, but doing it once in a while is perfectly fine. 

You’re right, it’s not a rule. If there’s no player at EDGE, CB, DL or OT, we should go WR.

Do you think that’s going to happen within the first 12 picks in this draft considering the prospects in this current draft?

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

You’re right, it’s not a rule. If there’s no player at EDGE, CB, DL or OT, we should go WR.

Do you think that’s going to happen within the first 12 picks in this draft considering the prospects in this current draft?

I'm not taking a CB for reasons I've stated. Seems like a wasted pick for unless you're giving up on Stokes. Maybe Witherspoon because he's a slot guy, but he'll be gone anyways. 

DL -- there isn't anyone I would consider at 13. 

It's EDGE or OT as the leading two positions, but I would take JSN over LVN and Murphy (the likely top 2 EDGE guys left) and Jones/Wright. I would not take JSN over Paris Johnson, Anderson or Tyree Wilson. 

• Like 1