2023 Draft Talk

Wyld Stallyns

It’s finally here. 2023 draft day and the most important pick of Ballard’s 7 seasons in Indy. I’m 95% sure the decision will come down to either Anthony Richardson or Will Levis, with an outside shot CJ Stroud could still be available, my personal preference is Stroud though I understand the knocks against him but I feel like is ceiling is higher then Richardson and Levis and his bust factor is lower.

Anyways, positions of need include: QB, CB, RG, WR, LB, CB (again), swing OT and HB

I think there is potential that RG might be a veteran OL signed after the draft to push Will Fries (thinking Dalton Risner or Trai Turner. 

Colts 2023 Draft Picks 

Round 1 Pick 4 - QB / Anthony Richardson / Florida 

Round 2 Pick 44 - CB / Julius Brents / Kansas St 

Round 3 Pick 79 - WR / Josh Downs / North Carolina 

Round 4 Pick 106 - OT / Blake Freeland / BYU

Round 4 Pick 110 - DE / Adetomiwa Adebawore / Northwestern 

Round 5 Pick 138 - CB / Darius Rush / South Carolina 

Round 5 Pick 148 - S / Daniel Scott / California 

Round 5 Pick 162 - TE / Will Mallory / Miami 

Round 6 Pick 176 - RB / Eric Hull / Northwestern 

Round 7 Pick 211 - LB Wagner Titus Leo 

Round 7 Pick 221 - CB Jaylon Jones Texas A&M 

Round 7 Pick 236 - OT Jake Witt Northern Michigan 

I could see the Colts drafting a center in round 3 maybe even round 2 if the right guy is there, someone like Tippman.  I think Kelly, pretty much dropped off a cliff last year.  I liked Pinter filling in for him, but I don't know if he is strong enough to be a week in and week out starter.

My hope for the first round is pretty much anyone but Richardson.

Edited by coffeedrinker
  • Like 1

I like our new coach......a lot. I do trust him. I think AR has the most upside, but the least experience. Stroud is the most ready right now, but not as high of a ceiling. Young has the best QB mind, but he's too small for a long career and his arm is limited. Levis has the best arm, but so far....he's a one read guy...maybe two. 

3 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

The comparisons to Jalen Hurts but Richardson is not as experienced as Hurts was so does Minshew start week 1? 

I'm tired of the comparisons to Hurts, One Hurts put up incredible numbers and two, Hurts was a winner in two different college programs, Three Hurts went in the 2nd round because there were questions about his accuracy, and he was way more accurate than Richardson.

I will give him a chance but this is starting because Ballard has proven to be able to find excellent players especially in the first 2 rounds, but I am not holding a lot of hope.

Ballard said that in August Morocco Brown was at Florida and called him about Richardson. Then of course what he mentions to McAfee about Steichen.

He also said that they had conversations with Arizona about #3 but not very serious and also had discussed the possibility of trading down or taking another pick/position. 

11 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Ballard said that in August Morocco Brown was at Florida and called him about Richardson. Then of course what he mentions to McAfee about Steichen.

He also said that they had conversations with Arizona about #3 but not very serious and also had discussed the possibility of trading down or taking another pick/position. 

On a side note, I am so glad McAfee did a liver broadcast during the draft.  If I had to hear, "What was going through your mind when your name was called." or some variation one more time...

The draft has become unwatchable, much like everything else in the NFL that is not the actual game.

• Like 1