The Battle at TE  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the starting TE job?

• Garrett Celek
    • Cole Hikutini
    • George Kittle
    • Vance McDonald
    • Other (let us know in a reply!)
  2. 2. Which tight ends don't make the 2017 49ers?

• Blake Bell
    • Garrett Celek
    • Cole Hikutini
    • George Kittle
    • Vance McDonald
    • Logan Paulsen

1 minute ago, AustrianNiner said:

Not sure it makes much sense to cut him if a trade doesn't materialize, I don't think he is worse than Paulsen and Celek. Might as well give him the chance to shine a little bit in Shanny's offense to create a bit of a trade value. Can't get any worse anyway.

Monetarily speaking, there is no incentive to cut him. If we cut him, the cap hit is twice as much as keeping him, to be perfectly honest. Celek is already gone, he has no shot. Same for Bell. Those guys are both out there trying to putting on a show for other teams. Paulsen is primarily a blocking tight end, but he's one that Shanny and Lynch wanted, and clearly, they do not like Vance, especially after trying to trade him. that can be a powerful reason to let him go, even the contract. I mean, if he's dropping passes (as he always done), so much so that we aren't even looking at him when he's on the field, there's no reason to keep him whatsoever. You have to be able to trust the guys out there. 

Rookie George Kittle aggravated the hamstring injury that bothered him early in training camp and won't play Friday. Logan Paulsen and Vance McDonald were with the first-string unit when it first took the field, although the starting composition likely will depend on what play the 49ers run. Garrett Celek, Cole Hikutini and Blake Bell have been working with the second- and third-team groups.

^Update from Barrows

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article166381267.html

• 2 weeks later...

Looking more and more like Cole Hikituni is a longshot to make the roster. I'd expect to see him on the practice squad. Unless we get someone willing to deal for Vance, I'm guessing that he's a lock for the roster at this point along with Kittle. I'm guessing Paulsen will be the third one at this point, though I have to say, has he done anything whatsoever in the preseason? I can't remember him being mentioned as ever having any particularly good practice days, and I don't remember his name popping up in the first two pre season games. But obviously this staff brought him this year, and Celek is a holdover, so I'm assuming that's a big advantage in Paulsen's favor that Celek is just not going to be able to overcome. 

Yea I don't remember Paulsen doing anything of note so far since signing with us or even being mentioned but being that he's our "blocking" TE, and very good at blocking, and watching our OTs struggle tremendously in run blocking if he's a lock for the team. Being that he's almost an extension of our OL, no news is good news in my mind.

With Vance gone, the final spot has come down to Blake Bell, Garrett Celek, and Cole Hikituni. Important note: 

Blake Bell: 54 special teams snaps this preseason

Garrett Celek: 27 special teams snaps

Not even sure HIkituni has played on ST. 

At this point, I think it's more of a 2 man race between Celek and Bell. Personally think that Celek has always been the better player of the two, but if Bell is the better special teams player, and you want your third tight end to contribute there, I don't think that is a small thing and could give Bell enough to stick (of course, I"m also not sure on the quality of those special teams snaps mentioned above). 

Hadn't thought about that.  I remember in years gone by we seemed to have several guys on the teeam who were pretty much nothing but special teamers.  I mean they had a defined position, but everyone knew they were on the team because of special teams.  With this staff we don't hear so much about guys who are purely special teamers. What you've noted is a good example. If it's close on TE skills and performance then maybe we go with the guy that's better on ST.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

With Vance gone, the final spot has come down to Blake Bell, Garrett Celek, and Cole Hikituni. Important note: 

Blake Bell: 54 special teams snaps this preseason

Garrett Celek: 27 special teams snaps

Not even sure HIkituni has played on ST. 

At this point, I think it's more of a 2 man race between Celek and Bell. Personally think that Celek has always been the better player of the two, but if Bell is the better special teams player, and you want your third tight end to contribute there, I don't think that is a small thing and could give Bell enough to stick (of course, I"m also not sure on the quality of those special teams snaps mentioned above). 

Here's the good news in that regard: the coaches want players to be good at Special Teams AND offense or defense respectively. Bell doesn't shine on Special Teams, he's just been getting snaps there. Lots of players have been getting snaps there. Bell is lined up with the starters. Last week the starters included Smelter (for Burbridge), Bell Sunseri, Mostert, Coyle, Armstrong, Johnson, Tartt, Robinson, Don Jones, Watson and Eli Harold. That's a combination of return/kicking units, and while I didn't catch Bell on the kickoff coverage, he was on punt return. However, the inclusion of both Sunseri and Don Jones indicates (to me) that the team doesn't have its planned starting Special Teams units for the season set yet, as I cannot find a way to include both on the roster. (6 safeties would be absurd).

Archived