Cap Space

rdelaney89

Yes. I’d like to see us get creative via trade. Pick a great player off from a team that’s in cap trouble. Bc they have to make a move, you rarely have to give up a really high pick. But we have plenty of cap space to take on a guys contract. A player I’d love to see us target in FA if he’s available is Le’Veon Bell. With the cap space we have to get a guy like him for an annual salary of 12mill is a good move for us. 

Hopefully we can fill alot of needs (outside of QB) so we can go into the draft with an open mind, if we could land say Corey Linsley, Jeremy Hill, a starting 5-Tech, Breshaud Breeland, and resign our core Free agents I'll be happy.

That is for without the carryover from this year (about 14m). Whether or not the commissioner's office will reject this carryover, Jets still have plenty to upgrade over a bunch of young players.

If Jets have plan to trade up for either LA qb then they better spend $$$ to fill up holes as many as they can.  I expect Jets to overspend at OL and DL if Wilkerson is cut.  WR, CB and ILB are next.   QB, RB, TE and S don't require large contract.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes. I’d like to see us get creative via trade. Pick a great player off from a team that’s in cap trouble. Bc they have to make a move, you rarely have to give up a really high pick. But we have plenty of cap space to take on a guys contract. A player I’d love to see us target in FA if he’s available is Le’Veon Bell. With the cap space we have to get a guy like him for an annual salary of 12mill is a good move for us. 

I would consider trading for a large cap hit player but it depends if it is just the cap hit the team is worried about or if there are performance/personal issues attached to the player as well.

as for Bell I'd be on board with making him the highest paid RB at $10M a year for 4 years but even then that's a hefty price to pay for a RB when you can see good production from far cheaper options.

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I would consider trading for a large cap hit player but it depends if it is just the cap hit the team is worried about or if there are performance/personal issues attached to the player as well.

as for Bell I'd be on board with making him the highest paid RB at $10M a year for 4 years but even then that's a hefty price to pay for a RB when you can see good production from far cheaper options.

Bell is arguably the most difference making player on offense that’s not a qb. He’s still only 25 (26 next season). I’d be all for paying 10-12mill for him and guaranteeing him 3yrs of the deal. I feel like we say every draft let’s wait for a RB and we never draft one. This past year we waited too long. Missed out on some good talent. I have no confidence this regime will address RB with a valuable pick. And upgrading this OLine and adding a player like Bell is franchise changing. And will help whoever is at QB big time.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Bell is arguably the most difference making player on offense that’s not a qb. He’s still only 25 (26 next season). I’d be all for paying 10-12mill for him and guaranteeing him 3yrs of the deal. I feel like we say every draft let’s wait for a RB and we never draft one. This past year we waited too long. Missed out on some good talent. I have no confidence this regime will address RB with a valuable pick. And upgrading this OLine and adding a player like Bell is franchise changing. And will help whoever is at QB big time.

I understand having a good RB but Forte and Powell have a higher YPC and McGuire is .1 YPC worse than Bell. Not to mention our offensive line is far worse than Pittsburgh's. Bell also has the benefit of having an offensive powerhouse in Brown and Big Ben.

You can get good production from RB without paying an arm and a leg. Paying Bell $12M per year is $4M more than any other RB in the NFL. 

13 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I understand having a good RB but Forte and Powell have a higher YPC and McGuire is .1 YPC worse than Bell. Not to mention our offensive line is far worse than Pittsburgh's. Bell also has the benefit of having an offensive powerhouse in Brown and Big Ben.

You can get good production from RB without paying an arm and a leg. Paying Bell $12M per year is $4M more than any other RB in the NFL. 

So you think a committee of Forte, Powell and McGuire is just as good, if not better than having Bell?

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you think a committee of Forte, Powell and McGuire is just as good, if not better than having Bell?

I'd say Powell and McGuire at $4.5M is as good of production as Bell at $12M. (I think we cut Forte) I'm not an idiot, Bell is one of the best backs in the league but that's not the argument. 

My argument is that you can get the same type of production or at least comparable out of cheaper RBs. Are you disagreeing with that statement?

1 minute ago, rdelaney89 said:

I'd say Powell and McGuire at $4.5M is as good of production as Bell at $12M. (I think we cut Forte) I'm not an idiot, Bell is one of the best backs in the league but that's not the argument. 

My argument is that you can get the same type of production or at least comparable out of cheaper RBs. Are you disagreeing with that statement?

I think you can’t roll with 5th Round draft picks to be your RBs by committee. If you do want to save some money and not get a star RB in FA, than we have to spend a quality draft pick on one. Go after a RB with 1 of our top 4 picks. Not wait like we do every draft. It was reported we really wanted Kamara this last draft, but like always never pulled the trigger on getting him. And look at him this year tearing it up. Absolute we can get a good guy in the draft, but when has the regime shown that they’ll spend a quality pick on a RB? Not 1 in 3 drafts. When our running game hadn’t been great any of those years to avoid that area.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think you can’t roll with 5th Round draft picks to be your RBs by committee. If you do want to save some money and not get a star RB in FA, than we have to spend a quality draft pick on one. Go after a RB with 1 of our top 4 picks. Not wait like we do every draft. It was reported we really wanted Kamara this last draft, but like always never pulled the trigger on getting him. And look at him this year tearing it up. Absolute we can get a good guy in the draft, but when has the regime shown that they’ll spend a quality pick on a RB? Not 1 in 3 drafts. When our running game hadn’t been great any of those years to avoid that area.

I just gave you stats that prove our RB by committee is preforming at a better level than Bell and we have a worse offense. I'm all for drafting a good RB but my argument is you can get comparable production. 

Drafting a RB even if it is with a higher pick is significantly cheaper than the deal you are proposing to sign Bell for which is the only argument I'm making.

4 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I just gave you stats that prove our RB by committee is preforming at a better level than Bell and we have a worse offense. I'm all for drafting a good RB but my argument is you can get comparable production. 

Drafting a RB even if it is with a higher pick is significantly cheaper than the deal you are proposing to sign Bell for which is the only argument I'm making.

Absolutely it’s cheaper. But if we have cap space to spend and haven’t added a difference making player like Cousins. We have to spend that money somewhere on a big time player. Getting Cousins is option 1 for me. Than Bridgewater if we miss out on Cousins. If we miss out on those 2, than I’d like to see us switch out attention to Bell and a WR.

Just looked at potential FAs and it's Cousins, Bridgewater, Trumaine Johnson, Bell.  I don't see any pass rushers or LTs to go after.  Unless I'm looking at the wrong site but it looks bare at LT and pass rusher.  Would prefer Bridge over everyone but we are going to have to spend money.  Ugh we might have to overpay for Cousins lol.

Archived