Cap Space

rdelaney89

• 2 weeks later...

QB is the only position I'd get on board giving out a mega-deal (Cousins). If that option is not available, just sign tons of solid players that won't require huge contracts. 

I'd rather have 10 position battles and excellent depth than I would sign 2-3 positional players that require large commitments. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

QB is the only position I'd get on board giving out a mega-deal (Cousins). If that option is not available, just sign tons of solid players that won't require huge contracts. 

I'd rather have 10 position battles and excellent depth than I would sign 2-3 positional players that require large commitments. 

Would you be against signing Bell? I think, in addition to a QB, the Jets need 1 or 2 elite players on both sides of the ball if they want to be serious contenders. He's also just 25 and, with Powell and McGuire, we won't have to run him to the ground. 

13 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Would you be against signing Bell? I think, in addition to a QB, the Jets need 1 or 2 elite players on both sides of the ball if they want to be serious contenders. He's also just 25 and, with Powell and McGuire, we won't have to run him to the ground. 

I wouldn't be against it, but I prefer adding RBs through the draft. Look at the top RBs in the league the past few years... most of them 1st/2nd/3rd year players. 

I do think he'll be more like Michael Turner/LeSean McCoy than other free agent RBs who have fizzled out after FA, but at the same time, he wants to be paid $15 million per year. It's a lot of coin for one of the most injury--prone positions in the NFL.  

23 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I wouldn't be against it, but I prefer adding RBs through the draft. Look at the top RBs in the league the past few years... most of them 1st/2nd/3rd year players. 

I do think he'll be more like Michael Turner/LeSean McCoy than other free agent RBs who have fizzled out after FA, but at the same time, he wants to be paid $15 million per year. It's a lot of coin for one of the most injury--prone positions in the NFL.  

I agree. We could find a back in the middle rounds but i really hope its in 2 or 3. Nice to have a young back who can carry the ball 20+ a game and grind a defense down. 

44 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I'm not against Bell, I don't think he should be viewed as a priority though. IMO QB first and foremost, if I have to sacrifice Bell to get Cousins I'll do it every day. With the way offensive rules have changed the game I think it makes more sense to have young WRs and RBs that aren't high paid and spend big bucks on the positions that matter (QB/LT/CB/EDGE) I also think we will fill at least 2 of these (QB & CB) this offseason with the potential of the other 2. Obviously the QB situation and how the draft board falls will play a part in how we approach the other 2 though.

Bell going to Jets?  That would be a stupid plan. He is not that good.  Steelers' OL blocking has been excellent.  Jets? ppffttt.  Don't waste any cent on him.

Just because Jets have one of the largest cap space for 2018 does not mean they have to pay top money to a player that has worked out well in different system from Jets.  Just Cousins and a bunch of players on affordable prices would suffice it.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Didn't realize he wanted $15/year. Just read an article that said he declined $12/year from Pit. I was thinking more $10-12/year for him. Assuming we don't land Cousins, having a player like Bell will help whichever rookie QB we start. Plus he will be a great safety net catching the ball out of the backfield. 

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

I'm not against Bell, I don't think he should be viewed as a priority though. IMO QB first and foremost, if I have to sacrifice Bell to get Cousins I'll do it every day. With the way offensive rules have changed the game I think it makes more sense to have young WRs and RBs that aren't high paid and spend big bucks on the positions that matter (QB/LT/CB/EDGE) I also think we will fill at least 2 of these (QB & CB) this offseason with the potential of the other 2. Obviously the QB situation and how the draft board falls will play a part in how we approach the other 2 though.

I agree he should not be the number 1 priority. I was thinking Bell as a phase two option if we don't land Cousins. Setting up an environment similar to what Seattle had when they first drafted Wilson. Have a great RB that can take the pressure off.

But it's a moot point. I wouldn't do it at $15/year.  

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

We’ve only drafted 2 RBs in the last 6 drafts with no higher pick than a late 4th Rounder. I feel we say this every year at RB, yet never actually draft a guy. It needs to be addressed. Anyone touching the ball 20+ times a game should be a quality pick. I agree that you can get talent in Rounds 2 and 3, but we’ve literally haven’t spent that high of a pick on a RB since Shonn Greene in the 3rd in 09 and Lamont Jordan in the 2nd in 01. I’m sorry but Powell and McGuire just aren’t enough to scare a defense. They’re role players that should touch the ball 5-10 times a game. And Powell isn’t getting any younger.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We’ve only drafted 2 RBs in the last 6 drafts with no higher pick than a late 4th Rounder. I feel we say this every year at RB, yet never actually draft a guy. It needs to be addressed. Anyone touching the ball 20+ times a game should be a quality pick. I agree that you can get talent in Rounds 2 and 3, but we’ve literally haven’t spent that high of a pick on a RB since Shonn Greene in the 3rd in 09 and Lamont Jordan in the 2nd in 01. I’m sorry but Powell and McGuire just aren’t enough to scare a defense. They’re role players that should touch the ball 5-10 times a game. And Powell isn’t getting any younger.

I agree with you. I'm just saying that I would rather draft a RB (that doesn't exclude 1st-3rd rounds) than spend $15+ million on Bell. 

50 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I agree with you. I'm just saying that I would rather draft a RB (that doesn't exclude 1st-3rd rounds) than spend $15+ million on Bell. 

I agree. But if we miss out on Cousins or Bridgewater... that cap space has to be spent somewhere. And at least Bell is a game changer.

Archived