Cap Space

rdelaney89

6 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

For $15M per season, how many years are you willing to give him?

Like I stated he isn’t my 1st option. I’d go hard for Cousins 1st, then Bridgewater. If we miss on those 2 I’d then focus on trying to trade for a franchise QB (very unlikely). If those 3 options all don’t work than yes I’d by all means go hard for Bell. I’d guarantee him 3 years and then make him cuttable year 4. If even be ok with guaranteeing him 4 years. He’s still only 25. This offense needs difference makers. And he’s arguably the best one in the league. And we have money.

I think I calculated us at around $93-94 using over the cap and that was without knowing what the cap increase would be.  If it's true that it will go up $12M than that would put us around $105-$106.  If we spend wisely we can go hard after Cousins and some or go all in for a guy like Ansah, Johnson, and a C like Richburg to build up around our rookie QB.

The future is bright if we just find a QB.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think I calculated us at around $93-94 using over the cap and that was without knowing what the cap increase would be.  If it's true that it will go up $12M than that would put us around $105-$106.  If we spend wisely we can go hard after Cousins and some or go all in for a guy like Ansah, Johnson, and a C like Richburg to build up around our rookie QB.

The future is bright if we just find a QB.

I think the big thing is, is to not sign a bunch of 30yr old vets to fill out the roster. Spend on young talent. I’d like to see us even make a big trade to take on a contract on a big time player on a team that’s in cap trouble. I’ve stated before. I think Macc has done well in trades, it’s FA that I question him.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Like I stated he isn’t my 1st option. I’d go hard for Cousins 1st, then Bridgewater. If we miss on those 2 I’d then focus on trying to trade for a franchise QB (very unlikely). If those 3 options all don’t work than yes I’d by all means go hard for Bell. I’d guarantee him 3 years and then make him cuttable year 4. If even be ok with guaranteeing him 4 years. He’s still only 25. This offense needs difference makers. And he’s arguably the best one in the league. And we have money.

The Jets have a lot of nice players. But all the playoff bound teams also have elite players on their team. The Jags might be the only playoff bound team that doesn't have an elite player on offense. But they are loaded on the defensive side. Clearly QB is the number 1 need. But this team needs offensive and defensive difference makers. Ideally 1 at CB, OLB, OL and an offensive weapon. Bell checks one of those boxes. 

I know Bell is asking for $15/year, but I doubt anyone will offer that contract. Maybe the Browns or the 49ers. I can't see Macc dishing out that much cash. 

25 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The Jets have a lot of nice players. But all the playoff bound teams also have elite players on their team. The Jags might be the only playoff bound team that doesn't have an elite player on offense. But they are loaded on the defensive side. Clearly QB is the number 1 need. But this team needs offensive and defensive difference makers. Ideally 1 at CB, OLB, OL and an offensive weapon. Bell checks one of those boxes. 

I know Bell is asking for $15/year, but I doubt anyone will offer that contract. Maybe the Browns or the 49ers. I can't see Macc dishing out that much cash. 

Fournette is a great RB. And Robinson is a good WR (he's been out all season). It's not like they have nothing on offense. What they have done is invest in the OLine and RB positions to give the team an identity and load up the defense. Something we've been trying to do for over 5 years now that we cant seem to do. We've loaded up on defense but do nothing on the OLine or at RB. When we can address that we have an identity and that identity will make whoever is at QBs job easier. A good OLine and running game, make the game simpler for a QB. IT also keeps the defense off the field which keeps them fresh and limits the amounts of plays for the opposing offense to score. Yet we seem to think we can invest late round picks on the OLine and RB spots and still win. But hey lets just keep drafting secondary, LBs and DLine every year with quality picks.

On 12/14/2017 at 12:43 AM, Bobby816 said:

I agree. But if we miss out on Cousins or Bridgewater... that cap space has to be spent somewhere. And at least Bell is a game changer.

Not the case imo. You spread the wealth and let every fringe starter compete for a job (C, RT, TE, RB, CB, DL, EDGE...)

16 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Not the case imo. You spread the wealth and let every fringe starter compete for a job (C, RT, TE, RB, CB, DL, EDGE...)

What does that have to do with cap space? Center won’t take up may have cap room, Shell should be our rating RT for awhile, ASJ should be resigned and rarely do good Edge rushers hit FA. That’s leaves CB and RB. 2 spots I want us to upgrade in FA and draft. Claiborne I imagine will be brought back but a Cb opposite him is needed. Fitzpatrick maybe in the draft or there’s Johnson and Butler in FA. RB featured guys like Bell, Crowell, Hill and Lewis. And there’s a good 8 or do RBs I’d like us to target in the 1st 3 Rounds.

we will have close to 100mill in cap space. Resigning our own and putting money aside for the draft wil only take up about 40-50mill at max of that. Leaving is still with 50-60mill to spend. A guy like Cousins would take a huge portion of that. But if not signed we have to spend it somewhere. And to spend it on vets for competition on 1yr deals should get Macc fired.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What does that have to do with cap space? Center won’t take up may have cap room, Shell should be our rating RT for awhile, ASJ should be resigned and rarely do good Edge rushers hit FA. That’s leaves CB and RB. 2 spots I want us to upgrade in FA and draft. Claiborne I imagine will be brought back but a Cb opposite him is needed. Fitzpatrick maybe in the draft or there’s Johnson and Butler in FA. RB featured guys like Bell, Crowell, Hill and Lewis. And there’s a good 8 or do RBs I’d like us to target in the 1st 3 Rounds.

we will have close to 100mill in cap space. Resigning our own and putting money aside for the draft wil only take up about 40-50mill at max of that. Leaving is still with 50-60mill to spend. A guy like Cousins would take a huge portion of that. But if not signed we have to spend it somewhere. And to spend it on vets for competition on 1yr deals should get Macc fired.

It depends on which center you want. Jensen is going to cost a pretty penny, likely $10M per year. I can't see the Giants letting Richburg walk when their OL is already so bad and they seem poised to target a rookie QB. Corey Linsley, I don't mind signing, is only the 22nd ranked Center, if we have the cap space I'd rather us target the #8 Center for more money.

As far as Bell I'd much rather target any of the other RBs you mentioned or spend a top 2-4 round pick on one like we wanted to do last year with Kamara. You'll be able to roll over cap into next year, we don't need to spend it all now.

Jets don't require to spend $$$ for fans' sake.   I have been reconsidered about my first mock, the one that I had Jets overspent two IOL.  I didn't like Jets' OL and I wanted to immediately upgrade the OL. The problems are chemistry and potential FA busts. 2 new overpaid OLs to work with 3 other OL. How guaranteed will the chemistry in a harmony?   FA bust for OL is unheard, unfortunately. 

If Jets want to spend $$ then it will be Kirk Cousins or a bunch of players for right or affordable contract.  The combination of them can be done but we will not see Jets signing RB for the price that should cover Cousins' contract (At least partial).

Archived