Alshon Jeffrey Signs a 4 year deal

eagles18

2 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Sure. But it doesn't mean that you're not wrong.

Of course not... that's why we are having this discourse.

3 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Why does he have to have a 100 yard game? Is that some sort of magic number? 

No, but having multiple 100 yard games is usually the sign of a great WR and one that should be paid big $.

4 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

He's on pace to have a 900 yard 10 TD season. In his first year, in an offense that runs it more than 90% of the rest of the league.

The TDs is also cause our offense has been unbelievably productive in the red zone if we are gonna make caveats here.

And, I never said he's not a good WR. I just don't think he's worth this deal, especially not when we are strapped for cash.

6 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Our scheme is reliant on having Jeffrey or a WR like him that can take attention away from other players, who can make contested catches, and who doesn't need separation.

No it is not. Pederson and company are great at finding ways to create 1 on 1 match ups for guys with how they scheme. 

Does Jeffery command more attention than Agholor or Smith? Sure. 

So did DeSean Jackson. 

Teams are always gonna focus a bit more on the best outside threat.

And, while its nice that he has contested catch ability it doesn't make him an elite WR and worth this contract.

10 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Its not hard to see the difference in our offense when we have Alshon compared to when we didn't. Obviously its not all because of him, but he's easily worth this money when you consider all the other factors as well 

Alshon is pretty low on the list of reasons why our offense is so much better.

Just off the top of my head.... these would be higher:

• The offensive line being one of the best units in the entire league.
  • Wentz's big jump from year 1 to year 2
  • Pederson's play calling / scheming

9 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

6 months from now, he will be maybe the 13th-15th highest paid WR in the league

18 months from now? Maybe the top 20? Probably not though

Please explain how that doesn't make sense

I don't think all those guys will get more money like Watkins and Benjamin.

And, who cares what he is paid like 2 offseasons from now?

To me the he is being payed to much argument is bogus. He has played very well this season as pretty much the only true outside threat on the outside. He has a track record of being able to produce at a very high level when asked to. On top of that, this his first season in a new offense with a second year QB. 

If we signed him to this contract last off-season would we be saying we overpaid? Good teams spend their money on their good players. We have a young QB playing very well and this is his favorite target. Keep him.

Calling the move “stupid” is ridiculous. Being cautious or unsure makes sense, but coming out saying the Eagles made the wrong call on this deal is flat out incorrect. Is there risk involved? Yes, but that is true about every deal. Good teams spend money on their good players!

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The TDs is also cause our offense has been unbelievably productive in the red zone if we are gonna make caveats here.

Not really. Multiple TDs have come on passes 20+ yards down field. And don't you think that we have been so productive in the RZ in part BECAUSE of him?

No it is not. Pederson and company are great at finding ways to create 1 on 1 match ups for guys with how they scheme. 

So what happened in 2016? Did they forget how to scheme?

Doug and co have done great at creating this offense but you still need players that can do what you ask.

Does Jeffery command more attention than Agholor or Smith? Sure. 

OK so we agree there

And, while its nice that he has contested catch ability it doesn't make him an elite WR and worth this contract.

No it doesn't. Its one of multiple reasons why he's a very good one.

Alshon is pretty low on the list of reasons why our offense is so much better.

Just off the top of my head.... these would be higher:

• The offensive line being one of the best units in the entire league.
  • Wentz's big jump from year 1 to year 2
  • Pederson's play calling / scheming

You realize that Alshon is directly related to the last 2 things mentioned above right?

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I don't think all those guys will get more money like Watkins and Benjamin.

And, who cares what he is paid like 2 offseasons from now?

Benjamin is the only one who might not get either as much or more than Jeffrey. 

As for the second part....

Lol. What? Why would you not care? This contract is for next year and beyond. So why would we not care about what he is paid next year and beyond?

Eagles fans really think everything Howie does is gold which is kind of annoying.

Not just talking about people on here.

Man the guy built a ruined team into a SB contender in two years after Chip Kelly. He deserves praise. You have yet to give a single valid reason on why this move says, “we are stupid”. 

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Man the guy built a ruined team into a SB contender in two years after Chip Kelly. He deserves praise. You have yet to give a single valid reason on why this move says, “we are stupid”. 

I posted a crap ton. What are you talking about?

I never said he doesn't deserve praise. I love Howie.

He is not beyond reproach though.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Eagles fans really think everything Howie does is gold which is kind of annoying.

Not just talking about people on here.

He's made mistakes. No doubt

But given what he has done...there's no argument you can make that will logically make sense saying he isn't outsmarting 95% of the league right now

4 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Benjamin is the only one who might not get either as much or more than Jeffrey. 

As for the second part....

Lol. What? Why would you not care? This contract is for next year and beyond. So why would we not care about what he is paid next year and beyond?

Because the cap isn't going up that much this year to my knowledge, so there is no reason to be paying him this much, especially when his production doesn't warrant it and we don't have a lot of money.

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Well he wasn't good the first 2 weeks this season, so I had a right to be worried about his development.

I did learn from that I need to have more patience though.

He wasn't good in week 1?

And week 2 I would maybe agree if Doug hadn't called his worst game of the year. 

Archived