Alshon Jeffrey Signs a 4 year deal

eagles18

I just listened to one of my favorite Eagles podcasts as they just did an emergency pod for the Alshon signing. Both hosts are really smart and know their football and one of them basically said everything I did and then some.

I'd really like you guys to listen to it, especially the one who disagree with me.

https://www.lockedoneagles.com/locked-on-eagles-12-2-17-alshon-jeffery-extension-pod/

The whole podcast is 21 mins which isn't that long, but the part I want you to listen to is 14:00 to 18:45.

The past offseason i was against signing Alshon because i looked at his stats in CHI and said "Not worth the money." After watching him with Carson in this offense for 11 weeks, you can see the effect he has even when not putting up numbers. So I really don't care about the stats especially the arbitrary 1,000 benchmark. 

People also fundamentally misunderstand how contracts work. People tend perceive them as a reward for what they've done or value for what they currently are. That's not true. Contracts are always forward looking. Built into every contract is future value. Everyone freaked out about the Vinny Curry contract and act surprised when he developed during the life of that contract. That's how every contract works. You're almost never paying for current value. 

So with Alshon, do you think he'll be worth the contract during the meat of it? The more Carson and Alshon play together the better they will get. We're finally seeing Carson throwing accurately to him. Do we think Carson has Ertz-level chemistry right now? Of course not. But what if they do? Just give it time.

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

People also fundamentally misunderstand how contracts work. People tend perceive them as a reward for what they've done or value for what they currently are. That's not true. Contracts are always forward looking. Built into every contract is future value. Everyone freaked out about the Vinny Curry contract and act surprised when he developed during the life of that contract. That's how every contract works. You're almost never paying for current value. 

So with Alshon, do you think he'll be worth the contract during the meat of it? The more Carson and Alshon play together the better they will get. We're finally seeing Carson throwing accurately to him. Do we think Carson has Ertz-level chemistry right now? Of course not. But what if they do? Just give it time.

It should also be pointed out how successful the FO (Howie mostly) has been at resigning our own guys at deals that end up looking like below-market value 1-2 years after.

Howie has done an excellent job at taking care of our own key players before they hit free agency while also not overpaying them at the same time. 

Edit: Except for the Curry contract. Probably the one player that we made a mistake in resigning. Not that he's been bad, but certainly hasn't turned into the players that we expected him to when he signed that deal.

I like the fact that we signed him long term. He is a great weapon for Carson, and has made a huge impact on our offense. He makes play and has give Carson a reliable target and can go get it with the best of them on 50-50 balls.

I would have much rather paid him $10m a year, but I'm glad we got this done. 

Archived