Alshon Jeffrey Signs a 4 year deal worth $52 million and $27 million guaranteed

eagles18

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Smith is a club option that's a no brainer and saves $5 million. The other two will total to save $5.25 million. You're pretty much out of the hole with that if the cap goes up $10 million again.

Jason Peters it would seem doesn't save us and significant money until after 2018. Vinny Curry is an option and could be replaced with Rookie Derek Barnett, but our D-Line depth is something I've come to enjoy.

Other various names I expect to be gone. WR Shelton Gibson, RB Donnell Pumphrey, OG Isaac Seumalo cleaning some of the filth saving us $1.8 Million

47 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

He was offered a long term contract before but he turned it down, for what ever reason he just didn't want to be in Chicago. 

He turned down a deal from Minnesota too. I think it was because he wanted a high paying prove it deal and we offered a moderate long term contract.

24 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jason Peters it would seem doesn't save us and significant money until after 2018. Vinny Curry is an option and could be replaced with Rookie Derek Barnett, but our D-Line depth is something I've come to enjoy.

Other various names I expect to be gone. WR Shelton Gibson, RB Donnell Pumphrey, OG Isaac Seumalo cleaning some of the filth saving us $1.8 Million

Yup as I've said in other threads, I forget who it was (Ellerbe?) but the last extension you guys signed, your cap is just silly right now it's over so much next year. And yeah you can cut guys and not pick up options but that hurts depth and required draft picks or free agents which also requires cap. In the end as you mention depth takes a hit and it's an injury or two and a strength like your DLine becomes an "OMG how are there all these holes for people to run through" kind of problem. Everybody swears by Howie but it'll be fun to watch as somebody who looks to compete for a while with you how it all balances out. 

7 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yup as I've said in other threads, I forget who it was (Ellerbe?) but the last extension you guys signed, your cap is just silly right now it's over so much next year. And yeah you can cut guys and not pick up options but that hurts depth and required draft picks or free agents which also requires cap. In the end as you mention depth takes a hit and it's an injury or two and a strength like your DLine becomes an "OMG how are there all these holes for people to run through" kind of problem. Everybody swears by Howie but it'll be fun to watch as somebody who looks to compete for a while with you how it all balances out. 

How is it going to be fun to watch? You like seeing conference rivals having all of its talent locked up for 3+ years?

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

We are signing our top guys. Timmy J has been a stud this year and deserves the extension. Alshon is a great player who we needed to retain. These are the kind of things you have to do if you want to continue to be a winning football team. We have dealt with our injuries very well this season, we will see how it goes next year.

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

How is it going to be fun to watch? You like seeing conference rivals having all of its talent locked up for 3+ years?

Is it all going to work out for all of these contract extensions? Wouldn't be the first time somebody extended and didn't work out. Who are they going to cut to make it under the cap they're currently over and how will those players respond in their next stop? Nobody knows how "all that talent" will play the next three years, how the drafts will go or how the injury bugs bite so that doesn't bother me at all. 

1 hour ago, mm6492 said:

Within 12-18 months, I doubt he is in top 15 paid WR's. 

Wentz clearly likes playing with him and locking up Ertz and Jeffrey long term as playmakers for him makes sense. 

He's tied for 7th right now in average per year. I really doubt that 8 guys in the next two offseasons make more than $13M per. Terrelle Pryor, Sammy Watkins, and Allen Robinson were the big potential guys left for the 2018 offseason, but each hurt their value this year. I doubt any of those three see that much. The 2019 offseason is a much bigger one for WRs, with OBJ, Evans, Diggs, and Cooper all looking at paydays, but that still will leave him very solidly in the top 15.

I like trying to resign Jeffrey, he's clearly an asset, but I'm not sure the production was there to justify this deal. Just don't see the value. He's now the second highest paid player on the roster, 7th highest paid WR in the league, and that's a decent amount of guaranteed money, too. $13M per year from a team that's already tight on cap space next year, for a WR who likely won't hit 1000 yards seems steep. And I like Jeffery, I was a freshman as USC when he was lighting things up there, and the talent is there, but normally your guys on the roster making that much are the elite types that the offense runs through. Like Ertz and the OL getting paid what they are makes sense. Wentz's inevitable payday too. But Jeffery just seems kind of secondary or tertiary by comparison, to me.

Archived