Alshon Jeffrey Signs a 4 year deal worth $52 million and $27 million guaranteed

eagles18

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

He's tied for 7th right now in average per year. I really doubt that 8 guys in the next two offseasons make more than $13M per. Terrelle Pryor, Sammy Watkins, and Allen Robinson were the big potential guys left for the 2018 offseason, but each hurt their value this year. I doubt any of those three see that much. The 2019 offseason is a much bigger one for WRs, with OBJ, Evans, Diggs, and Cooper all looking at paydays, but that still will leave him very solidly in the top 15.

I like trying to resign Jeffrey, he's clearly an asset, but I'm not sure the production was there to justify this deal. Just don't see the value. He's now the second highest paid player on the roster, 7th highest paid WR in the league, and that's a decent amount of guaranteed money, too. $13M per year from a team that's already tight on cap space next year, for a WR who likely won't hit 1000 yards seems steep. And I like Jeffery, I was a freshman as USC when he was lighting things up there, and the talent is there, but normally your guys on the roster making that much are the elite types that the offense runs through. Like Ertz and the OL getting paid what they are makes sense. Wentz's inevitable payday too. But Jeffery just seems kind of secondary or tertiary by comparison, to me.

Above him now: Brown, Hopkins, Green, Jones, Thomas, Dez

Could pass him in 2018 (what I consider 6 months from now) - DaVante Adams, Watkins, Robinson (or any of them could sign 1-year deals and pass him in 2019)

Could pass him in 2019 (what I consider 18 months from now)- Jordy nelson, Cooper, Mike Evans, OBJ, randall cobb, DaVante Parker, Cooks, Benjamin, Diggs, 

So yes there is a good chance all of them don't pass him. But not unrealistic to see him in the 13-17 range within 18 months. 

I like that they’re keeping him with Wentz, but is this the best deal Philly could’ve gotten? For a sub-1,000 yard receiver on a prove it deal, I feel he could’ve been had for cheaper. If it’s the best they can do, I guess it’s a solid move but we’d have to see how the guaranteed money is stretched out. 

Conversely, good for Jeffery.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I like that they’re keeping him with Wentz, but is this the best deal Philly could’ve gotten? For a sub-1,000 yard receiver on a prove it deal, I feel he could’ve been had for cheaper. If it’s the best they can do, I guess it’s a solid move but we’d have to see how the guaranteed money is stretched out. 

Conversely, good for Jeffery.

I'll just repost this from our Forum...

You have a 2nd year QB in contention for League MVP. Is it because of Torrey Smith? Mac Hollins? It's because the other WR you brought in via FA has completely opened up the field not only for himself but for Zach Ertz and Nelson Agholor. Two players who are benefitting greatly from AJ presence!

This Offense ran by Wentz will never have a "Quote unQuote" True #1 WR putting up 1500+. Don't care if OBJ was on the roster. He spreads it around to the open Receiver!!!

However that does not mean AJ is not a #1 WR for this Offense. Unlike others with lofty expectations I expected a slow start. Chemistry isn't formed overnight like most of you assume. We've seen the impact statistically since that matters to some over the past month. There's No reason to think barring Injury (My only singular concern with the contract, his history of Injuries)  that AJ, Carson and Zach won't  become even more dangerous and productive as a Trio in the coming years!!!

So if it cost $13m to keep that possible SB train rolling, keep this QB on a MVP projectory for years to come, then it's a small price to pay. Especially if it's proven over the next 2 years that $13M for WR with his impact on a Offense, is no where close to being top 10 money for the position. Howie has always tried to lock up talent early before the market dictates that you can't afford said player.

Like it or not NFL contracts are becoming absurd. WR is just the next in a long line of position groups to cash in. 

QB's like Cousins about to make $30M

DE like DeMarcus Lawrence about to make 17-20M

DT getting $100M contracts

RB like Bell and DJ about to get 15+M

Top end WR about to go upwards of 17-20M

Welcome to the current NFL and contracts to come!!

@Nabbs4u

That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t really address the concern. Nor does his presence on 2018’s roster guarantee - or even make probable - anything you’ve said. 

As for the contract, it was my understanding that Alshon signed a one year prove it deal with Philly because he wanted a longer, more lucrative deal - a deal that apparently, a team wasn’t willing to give him (otherwise why would he sign the prove it contract?). Well he became the 7th highest paid WR slightly mid-way through this season. I believe they could’ve gotten him for less/overpaid at the moment.

13 hours ago, showtime said:

Great to see Alshon Jeffrey finally get the long term deal he has wanted for a while.  Seems like a really good person and he's an awesome player. 

It's been a nice surprise how vocal and how much of a lockerroom guy his.

Outwardly he always seemed to just keep to himself, but he's been a great fit here in Philly.

Glad him and Wentz will continue to build for many more years.
And these numbers will seem pretty average after all these wideouts that are coming up on the end of their deals in the next two years get paaaayed

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Wouldn't that have cost them 2 1sts to trade for? Isn't that the franchise rule?

I believe that is if he has not signed the tender as a non-exclusive contract offer then yes. With a non-exclusive franchise tag the player can negotiate with other teams. But I believe the exclusive franchise removes that negotiations and they either sign or sit the year without pay. After that they should be able to be traded as usual.

Admittedly this may be outdated info from me, I remember the Pacers dealing Williams for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. That was a pretty damn long time ago.

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Concerns about work ethic and eating habits since college, caught caught cheating and suspended for PEDs last year, became malcontent on his first team after they got rid of his friend. 

You're really reaching. His "work ethic" and "eating habits" were a concern coming out of college because of his size at the position. This has obviously never been a problem in the last 5 years that he's been in the league. You're holding something against a guy for way too long if you think that this is still an issue with Jeffery. 

As far as getting rid of his friend. You hear about this all the time from players all over the league, do you hold it against them too?

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

@Nabbs4u

That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t really address the concern. Nor does his presence on 2018’s roster guarantee - or even make probable - anything you’ve said. 

As for the contract, it was my understanding that Alshon signed a one year prove it deal with Philly because he wanted a longer, more lucrative deal - a deal that apparently, a team wasn’t willing to give him (otherwise why would he sign the prove it contract?). Well he became the 7th highest paid WR slightly mid-way through this season. I believe they could’ve gotten him for less/overpaid at the moment.

What concern? That he's not reached a 1000yds? Some Supposed bad work ethic that he's never shown once as a Eagle? His impact on this Offense goes further then sheer statistics!! He's a huge reason why Ertz is having a monster year, why a Bust like Agholor can at least be serviceable for the first time in his career. Why Teams can't put 8-9 in the box to stop our run game!

The Eagles might end up having 3 Players with 10+ receiving TD's for the first time in Franchise history. You think that has nothing to do with Alshon being part of this WR Corps? Did you see last year's WR? 

I wasn't suggesting the Eagles are SB favorites and or will be for the foreseeable future but why disrupt the obvious chemistry He and Carson seem to have created as a combo and Alshon has with those WR as a unit? Because $13M "looks" like alot of money right now? That number (7th highest as you pointed out) will probably end up in the middle teens maybe even 20's by the 2019 season. So that's why you lock up him, now. Not wait till seasons end when who knows what his numbers might be in 5 GM's? What he might do in the playoffs? 

Only his injury history concerns me. However I'd be shocked if Howie of all people didn't cover the Franchise/the contract with language just in case that occurred.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

What concern? That he's not reached a 1000yds? Some Supposed bad work ethic that he's never shown once as a Eagle? His impact on this Offense goes further then sheer statistics!! He's a huge reason why Ertz is having a monster year, why a Bust like Agholor can at least be serviceable for the first time in his career. Why Teams can't put 8-9 in the box to stop our run game!

The Eagles might end up having 3 Players with 10+ receiving TD's for the first time in Franchise history. You think that has nothing to do with Alshon being part of this WR Corps? Did you see last year's WR? 

I wasn't suggesting the Eagles are SB favorites and or will be for the foreseeable future but why disrupt the obvious chemistry He and Carson seem to have created as a combo and Alshon has with those WR as a unit? Because $13M "looks" like alot of money right now? That number (7th highest as you pointed out) will probably end up in the middle teens maybe even 20's by the 2019 season. So that's why you lock up him, now. Not wait till seasons end when who knows what his numbers might be in 5 GM's? What he might do in the playoffs? 

Only his injury history concerns me. However I'd be shocked if Howie of all people didn't cover the Franchise/the contract with language just in case that occurred.

This has already been debunked a few posts above. There are not that many players that are going to get extensions that expensive that quickly.

Seems a bit rich, but Wentz obviously likes having him, and he is the type of receiver who can really open things up for others on the field, even when he's not getting the ball as much as some other #1WRs.  Seems like these contracts for top end playmakers just keep going up anyway.  Halfway into this deal, he probably won't even be paid in the Top-15+ WRs.

Archived