Alshon Jeffrey Signs a 4 year deal worth $52 million and $27 million guaranteed

eagles18

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

This has already been debunked a few posts above. There are not that many players that are going to get extensions that expensive that quickly.

Debunked by whom? 

FA WR in the next two seasons

Watkins, Landry, Adams, Robinson

OBJ, Evans, Nelson, Cooks, Benjamin, Tate, 

How about teams Trying to lock up other WR before hitting FA in 20' like Cooper, Hill, Parker, ?

The 6 bolded are Guaranteed to get more money IMO then Alshon which instantly puts him around 13th. Tate and Robinson might get more just because that's how NFL contracts work, they increase year in year out! Tyreek? Amari?

Not as far fetched or debunked as you claim it to be!

Why he is worth the $

2016 Eagles without Jeffrey 

7-9 22nd ranked offense

2017 with Jeffrey

10-1 4th Ranked offense

Obviously he is not the only reason for the jump but to suggest he is not an integral part of that sucess is silly. Who gives a **** about 1,000 yard seasons. He is a large reason for offensive success. Pay the man.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

What concern? That he's not reached a 1000yds? Some Supposed bad work ethic that he's never shown once as a Eagle? His impact on this Offense goes further then sheer statistics!! He's a huge reason why Ertz is having a monster year, why a Bust like Agholor can at least be serviceable for the first time in his career. Why Teams can't put 8-9 in the box to stop our run game!

I mean, he contributes to all that...not sure I’d call him a main cause. I think you’re really discounting Agholar and Wentz’ improvement as players if you feel that they’re doing what they’re doing because of Jeffery. I’m not really all that confident the Eagles would be facing “8-9” man boxes without Jeffery, either...

The Eagles might end up having 3 Players with 10+ receiving TD's for the first time in Franchise history. You think that has nothing to do with Alshon being part of this WR Corps? Did you see last year's WR? 

Never said that had nothing to do with Jeffery. Having 3 guys at 10 TDs sort of just reinforces the point that maybe you shouldn’t be what I consider overpaying for one.

I wasn't suggesting the Eagles are SB favorites and or will be for the foreseeable future but why disrupt the obvious chemistry He and Carson seem to have created as a combo and Alshon has with those WR as a unit?

I already said that I liked them keeping the weapon for Wentz. And yes, you suggested that “there’s no reason” why Wentz-Jeffery-Ertz will be even more dangerous in the ongoing years, when there’s a litany of possibilities. 

Because $13M "looks" like alot of money right now? That number (7th highest as you pointed out) will probably end up in the middle teens maybe even 20's by the 2019 season. So that's why you lock up him, now. Not wait till seasons end when who knows what his numbers might be in 5 GM's? What he might do in the playoffs? 

This was debunked. Plus, I’m not going to listen to every fan base that over pays/pays a lot for a guy that says “this contract won’t look bad in a few years”, it’s a cop out. 

My issue is that - based off of his offseason - he wasn’t getting an expensive, long term deal that I assume he wanted. He was given a one year deal to prove his worth. The season isn’t even over and he has looked good but not elite-good (especially when a huge knock is his health), but now he’s being paid 7th. I just think it’s steep.

Only his injury history concerns me. However I'd be shocked if Howie of all people didn't cover the Franchise/the contract with language just in case that occurred.

I don’t know, but I’d be curious to see.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

My issue is that - based off of his offseason - he wasn’t getting an expensive, long term deal that I assume he wanted. He was given a one year deal to prove his worth. The season isn’t even over and he has looked good but not elite-good (especially when a huge knock is his health), but now he’s being paid 7th. I just think it’s steep.

From PE.Com, for some Reason it won't let me copy the link...

"Jeffery took a chance in free agency last spring, reportedly spurning an opportunity to sign elsewhere for more money and more years. He wanted to be reunited with his wide receivers coach from his best years with the Chicago Bears, Mike Groh, and he wanted a chance to play with Wentz, who players around the league saw as an up-and-coming second-year quarterback."

I never Suggested his salary was cheap just that in the coming two years it will look like more of a League Average for say the top 20 WR in the league, which he is one. Despite everyone's obsession with "#1 type #'s" being achieved!!!

Once again Carson Wentz spreads the ball around way to much for Any WR in this Offense to be putting up 1500+ like the Elite of the Elite. However that doesn't mean he's not a #1 or doesn't deserve to be paid like one. Alshon's impact goes way beyond his numbers for Wentz and the rest of the skilled positions on the roster.

Much in the same way say a Brandon Cooks is having impact for Brady and the Patriots "this season". Sheer numbers don't tell the whole story. Its just the way the Offense works. That's all.

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Much in the same way say a Brandon Cooks is having impact for Brady and the Patriots "this season”. 

If Cooks for 13m/year, I’d say that is too steep too. I think Gilmore’s 15m/year is an over pay, even with his improved play. A spade’s a spade. 

7 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

It's pretty obvious  Yin-Yang hasn't watched more than 1-2 Eagles games.

Yeah, because I can’t think the Eagles made a questionable move without obviously having not watched them this season...

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, because I can’t think the Eagles made a questionable move without obviously having not watched them this season...

No, it's because of your reasoning for not liking it. There's a difference. If you can't see the impact that Jeffrey has on the field for us, and how he has helped open up so many other things for other players, then you either just don't know much about football and offensive/defensive scheming, or you don't watch the Eagles much. And I say that in the least-condescending way possible.

1 minute ago, BAConrad said:

No, it's because of your reasoning for not liking it. There's a difference. If you can't see the impact that Jeffrey has on the field for us, and how he has helped open up so many other things for other players, then you either just don't know much about football and offensive/defensive scheming, or you don't watch the Eagles much. And I say that in the least-condescending way possible.

Yeah...no. 

Listen, I know the latest guy is usually going to get paid more than he’s worth. But I don’t see him as a top 10 receiver right now, and thus I question him being paid like one. You can talk about how he opens up things all you want, it doesn’t mitigate the fact that the production just isn’t there. As far as I’m concerned, Jeffery’s impact is less than that of Wentz or the run game.

Marvin Jones has outplayed him this year and is making less than 3/4s of that (although I think Jones deserves a little more than he’s getting). 

I haven’t even stated a word about how bad Jeffery is or how little he means to the offense. Just that it seems like he could’ve been had for less and that his production doesn’t justify this sort of contract. 

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah...no. 

Listen, I know the latest guy is usually going to get paid more than he’s worth. But I don’t see him as a top 10 receiver right now, and thus I question him being paid like one. You can talk about how he opens up things all you want, it doesn’t mitigate the fact that the production just isn’t there. As far as I’m concerned, Jeffery’s impact is less than that of Wentz or the run game.

I mean, yeah sure, he hasn't had as much of an impact as our young stud QB who has been playing at an MVP-level all season. Are you going to point out that the sky is blue, or that grass is green next?

Marvin Jones has outplayed him this year and is making less than 3/4s of that (although I think Jones deserves a little more than he’s getting). 

Marvin Jones actually helps prove our point in favor of Jeffrey, so thanks for that.

Jones was signed to a 5 year/40 million dollar deal after putting up 18/201/1, 51/712/10, and 65/816/4 with Cincinnati. Did that kind of production warrant 8 million a year? 

Teams pay players based on what they can do for them in the future. Based off of what Alshon has done in Chicago, and how he's gotten significantly better week to week with us, it's completely logical to think that he will live up to this kind of deal. 

I haven’t even stated a word about how bad Jeffery is or how little he means to the offense. Just that it seems like he could’ve been had for less and that his production doesn’t justify this sort of contract. 

What makes it seem like he could have been had for less?

Do you know something that everyone else in football doesn't? 

Based on past free agency periods and the abundance of contracts that continue to get higher and higher, it actually is pretty safe to say that Alshon would have most likely been able to make 15 million or more a year from another team in desperate need of a #1 WR. 

And the sole fact that you think that his production is the only thing that was taken into account, or even should be taken into account, when the Eagles resigned him shows that you have little insight into how teams decide what to pay their players. 

Archived