Which coordinator is more likely to get a HC gig?

Danger

Who is more likely gone?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more likely gone?

• OC Frank Reich
    • DC Jim Schwartz

I think Schwartz is gone. He is gonna be a hot commodity. Depends on him whether he wants to coach a Cleveland for example or not. 

Little science fiction. But what about Reid being fired in KC and Reich hired as a HC. Reid as a HC? :D

I don't believe Schwartz is going to get as much buzz as everyone seems to think...

If you're simply going by the logic of "He has HC experience and is a great DC", why is Wade Phillips still just a DC? 

Answer is that because, like Schwartz, Wade has it better where he is now. They are both on successful teams ran by young offensive minded coaches, running their defenses with basically complete and total autonomy, without all the extra work that head coaches have. And I couldn't find his contract details, but I really doubt Schwartz makes that much less than he would as a head coach. 

Someone earlier mentioned the whole "stay in your lane" concept, which I think definitely applies here. And IMO Schwartz knows it. It's not like he took this job because he was desperate. He was unemployed the year before, but not because he couldn't find work. He was basically waiting for the ideal job to open up and I guess that was this one. 

It'd be different if he were a young coordinator with zero HC experience...because those guys are usually more hungry for head coaching jobs and want to prove themselves. Guys like Schwartz and Phillips have been around long enough to know what is best for themselves. I think if teams are looking for a defensive minded HC, Teryl Austin will probably be the hot commodity next. 

My guess is Reich is the most likely coordinator on our team to be poached. Obviously I'd prefer not to lose him, since what we have right now is clearly working for us, but that's the nature of the business. Just as long as we keep our core coaches intact (Doug, DeFellippo, Schwartz, and Fipp), I'll be quite the happy guy

23 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I don't believe Schwartz is going to get as much buzz as everyone seems to think...

If you're simply going by the logic of "He has HC experience and is a great DC", why is Wade Phillips still just a DC? 

Answer is that because, like Schwartz, Wade has it better where he is now. They are both on successful teams ran by young offensive minded coaches, running their defenses with basically complete and total autonomy, without all the extra work that head coaches have. And I couldn't find his contract details, but I really doubt Schwartz makes that much less than he would as a head coach. 

Someone earlier mentioned the whole "stay in your lane" concept, which I think definitely applies here. And IMO Schwartz knows it. It's not like he took this job because he was desperate. He was unemployed the year before, but not because he couldn't find work. He was basically waiting for the ideal job to open up and I guess that was this one. 

It'd be different if he were a young coordinator with zero HC experience...because those guys are usually more hungry for head coaching jobs and want to prove themselves. Guys like Schwartz and Phillips have been around long enough to know what is best for themselves. I think if teams are looking for a defensive minded HC, Teryl Austin will probably be the hot commodity next. 

My guess is Reich is the most likely coordinator on our team to be poached. Obviously I'd prefer not to lose him, since what we have right now is clearly working for us, but that's the nature of the business. Just as long as we keep our core coaches intact (Doug, DeFellippo, Schwartz, and Fipp), I'll be quite the happy guy

Wade Phillips had two chances, and Jim Schwartz was still able to lead the lowly Lions to a 10-6 season and then regressed (but improved the year after). The Lions back when he got them were on par with... THE HAUL. He inherited an 0-16 team

18 hours ago, eagles18 said:

I don't believe Jim gets a HC gig. He's proven to fail at HC with a Franchise QB, a great defense, and a HOF caliber receiver. Why would anyone think he would be better? He's a DC. 

A 'franchise QB' who hadn't yet got to be what he is now.  And lets keep in mind. This is the LIONS. He took over a team that was 0-16 when he came in.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

A 'franchise QB' who hadn't yet got to be what he is now.  And lets keep in mind. This is the LIONS. He took over a team that was 0-16 when he came in.

Yeah I'm with this. You can't write off a guy because his first job wasn't a massive success. We have no idea what was going on behind the scenes there and what other contributing factors there were involved. Stafford was nowhere near where he is now and Megatron was a WR.... They don't win championships. 

1 minute ago, Phire said:

Worst case for us is Schwartz leaves and takes Defilipo (how the hell do you spell his name?) as offensive coordinator. I don't see Defilippo (trying a different spelling) making the jump from QB coach to HC.

I'd have to agree. If anyone is moving to HC on the offensive side of the ball. It's Reich. You hardly ever see coaches jump up two tiers on the ladder at once.

Archived