Which coordinator is more likely to get a HC gig?

Danger

Who is more likely gone?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more likely gone?

• OC Frank Reich
    • DC Jim Schwartz

Scwhartz fits the mold of the "perfect coach equation" that ESPN put out based on how Belichick's career went. 

Brilliant DC.

Had a mixed bag but ultimately failed in his first HC gig.

Resurrected his career as a brilliant DC again.

Learns from previous mistakes (and Tom Brady falls into your lap) and turns into the greatest HC ever.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Like Danger said, he's failed twice and is old now.

Schwartz wasn't a good head coach in Detroit. He just wasn't. He had a losing record  4/5 seasons he coached the Lions, with 2, 4, 6, and 6 wins in those seasons. Yeah, he made the postseason in 2011 and won 10 games and then the Lions lost in the 1st round. But it wasn't because of his great coaching. Stafford had an insane breakout season that year, putting up a statline of:

63.5 comp %, 5,038 yards, 7.6 Y/A, 41 TDs, and 16 INTs.

Stafford had his best season EVER in his career. Besides that season, he's only thrown for 30 touchdowns ONCE. He had the best TD% of his career, and he threw the ball more than he has in any season he's ever played, besides in the following season where he threw it 727 times compared to 663 in 2011. 

So whoever said that Schwartz didn't have Stafford "in his prime" was actually incorrect. The first two seasons of Schwartz's tenure were Stafford's first two in the league as a starter. 

He is an elite defensive coordinator. I just don't get why people here just automatically assume that that makes him Head-Coach material, especially in a league where there are plenty of other talented coordinators (some very young) who haven't had chances to be head coaches. Teams are more likely to go for 1st time head coaches. It's a trendy and copycat league. McVay, Shannahan, Pederson, just to name a few, are all guys who were considered to be inexperienced but talented coordinators (Pederson wasn't considered amongst the group of great coordinators, really, though) and look at what Pederson and McVay have done. 

Schwartz is best off just staying as a DC, and in the ideal situation which is the one he has now. He and Doug are essentially co-head coaches in all but title. 

I just don't think it's smart to have a solely defensive minded coach as your head coach. Because then you have to basically hire an excellent offensive coordinator who is also going to be in charge of the QB. And QB is the most important position in sports. I think teams can easily get away with doing what we or the Rams have done, in hiring offensive coaches as head coach and then going and getting a defensive coordinator who knows how to be in charge of a team, because he is essentially going to be the defense's main coach and make those decisions on defense like who to keep, who to cut, etc. But that is because of today's game and the important of the quarterback position. 

Also, can anyone here give me a reason why Schwartz is HC material, aside from simply "Uh well uh he's a great defensive coordinator"?

Or if he even WANTS to be a head coach? And take on a ton more responsibility, when here as a defensive coordinator he can basically just focus on what he loves (defense) and gets essentially complete autonomy on what amounts to half the team? 

Also, would like to point out how he did an INCREDIBLE job in Buffalo as DC in his last gig, coaching that defense into a top 3 unit every season he was there. Yet, he didn't become some hot commodity at HC. Instead, he took a year-long break. Because, and I'm guessing mostly here based off what I've read and just what I see, he wanted to find the ideal situation for him as a defensive coordinator. 

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Scwhartz fits the mold of the "perfect coach equation" that ESPN put out based on how Belichick's career went. 

Brilliant DC.

Had a mixed bag but ultimately failed in his first HC gig.

Resurrected his career as a brilliant DC again.

Learns from previous mistakes (and Tom Brady falls into your lap) and turns into the greatest HC ever.

That's ESPN.

Belichick is arguably the best head coach ever. In my lifetime, he is absolutely the best. You aren't going to find another coach like him. 

Teams are going to copycat recent hires. IE McVay, Pederson, Shannahan, etc.

And let me also point out that it's not like Schwartz was simply given 2 years and didn't do well on a bad team. He was given 5 years. And Detroit certainly was bad his first two seasons, but he had 5 FULL YEARS to show what kind of head coach he is. And the answer is, not that good of one.

Stick to your lane, as they say. He's arguably the best DC in the league. Hell, I hear his name brought up as much or more than Doug's when the media/coverage talk about the Eagles. 

I remember reading all the stuff the Schwartz did while he was out of football, he tried to learn more and different perspectives of the game.

I imagine at some point yea he's gonna want another shot at a head gig...Just hope he's not desperately going to leave.

I think he'd take the Colts job if that opened up.
Bucs or Giants would be appealing too.

Schwartz is like Rex Ryan and Wade Phillips. Much better as a DC then they ever will be a HC. Owners around the league are probably aware of this. That's not to say it's impossible for him to get a Job but highly unlikely he will be the "Must Hire" top dog!

On 12/2/2017 at 9:35 PM, Jlash said:

Schwartz? He's plenty qualified. He was just really not good at it. 

He needs to stick at DC. You can see he can control 1 side of the ball, when he has to run a team it's chaos. It's like Wade Phillips. 

I think Schwartz deserves another shot. He needs to be picky, though. Wade was a very underrated HC. He never had worse than a .500 overall record in any of his three legitimate HC jobs (and that includes an above .500 record with the Bills). He wasn't Belichick, but he was a capable HC. Wade's problem was that he was too much of a player's coach. He needed a veteran team with leaders who could hold the younger guys accountable.

Schwartz has some of the same issues, but when you consider the lack of quality coaches, you can do much worse. If I were Schwartz, I think I'd choose the Bengals or Colts as my next job (depending on Luck's health). The Bucs are a great opportunity, but I think they need a steadier hand at HC. On the other hand, the Bengals kind of embrace the bad boys image. And any job that features a guy like Luck is hard to turn down (especially for a defensive coach).

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think Schwartz deserves another shot. He needs to be picky, though. Wade was a very underrated HC. He never had worse than a .500 overall record in any of his three legitimate HC jobs (and that includes an above .500 record with the Bills). He wasn't Belichick, but he was a capable HC. Wade's problem was that he was too much of a player's coach. He needed a veteran team with leaders who could hold the younger guys accountable.

Schwartz has some of the same issues, but when you consider the lack of quality coaches, you can do much worse. If I were Schwartz, I think I'd choose the Bengals or Colts as my next job (depending on Luck's health). The Bucs are a great opportunity, but I think they need a steadier hand at HC. On the other hand, the Bengals kind of embrace the bad boys image. And any job that features a guy like Luck is hard to turn down (especially for a defensive coach).

Is going to coach a guy that isn't physically able to throw a ball really that attractive? 

Archived