2.42 - Luke Musgrave [TE; Oregon State]

CWood21

If the video doesn't work just search "Luke Musgrave - Oregon State TE #88 vs Fresno State (2022)"

So it seems like Musgraves blocking has been a pretty big question since drafting  him so I decided to look at every block he had vs Fresno State last year.  Came away from it with a couple of things. I'm no where near an expert on blocking from a tight end standpoint, but from my analysis watching him, I really feel like the guy knows what he's doing, he just needs some more coaching in some spots, you can work with his blocking when you need to use him as one.

First I do think he's a willing blocker, he's blocking till the end of the play every time even if the defender sheds his block he doesn't give up. I do feel like he has great control blocking for the most part when he engages a defender as well. He will get overpowered though at times. I will say sometimes he takes some bad angles on blocks too, either miss steps or doesn't squeeze in the right way to get enough of the defender and they get past him. He definitely needs to get stronger, but I don't think he needs to add a ton of strength. I do really think you can work with his blocking and mold it into something though. The guy has a good grasp on blocking, he just needs to refine his technique and angles. Never going to be a dominant blocker, but he's not a one trick pony with his game either as some think.

Here's a log of all his block reps with some of my analysis if you wanna call it that lol - 

:46 - I'm not gonna be too hard on him on this play, the defender had a better angle on the play and set the edge well. He needed to be a bit more patient though.

:54 - He did a pretty good job here doing his job and got enough of the defender to erase him out of the play. Biggest thing you will see a lot is him getting beat with strength/power more than anything.

1:16 - This looks like what we would run here so it's a good example. First pass blocking rep here and honestly he does a great job, a little awkward with his technique but he did what he needed to do.

1:24 - First bad block, he really needs to squeeze down more inside but misses the block.

1:35 - nothing really of note here since he didn't engage but he shadowed the defender well.

1:44 - I would say it's a slight win for the defender but he got overpowered a bit. Did enough but wasnt on the play side.

1:51 - Honestly closer inspection on this play that looks like he whiffs badly, the tackle gets beat quickly on the play and Musgrave runs into his own teammate. 

1:57 - Good block here, nothing special, but controls his guy well.

2:01 - Another pretty good block here, didn't lose control until his teammate gets shoved into him at the end.

2:27 - Honestly a really good block and eventually gets his guy on the ground

2:59 - Another motion block, does a great job faking his first block, but takes a bad angle on his next guy but surprisingly keeps his guy in control to give the WR a lane to run.

3:36 - The defender flat out beats him this play with a power move and throws him to the side. Not great technique and shows he needs to put on more strength.

3:48 - His feet here are not good in this pass block rep, needed to squeeze back inside more and the defender knifed thru.

4:12 - Is a double team block, but thought it was good technique and delivered a nice block

4:28 - Thought this was one of his better blocks. Does get beat eventually but he has a really nice recovery afterwards instead of going forward to insure he doesn't affect the play

4:37 - Kind of a fake route into a block downfield but no really fight by the defender, but did his job well.

4:44 - Don't know what to give him on this play because he just sorta elbow blocks the defender and it works out for him lol. Probably not going to work that often.

4:50 - Think he really just gets lost here and a defender is pretty much free. Maybe he thought his tackle had him? But should of just kept inside.

5:34 - Nothing really of note here, just a extra blocker here pass blocking, doesn't get that involved or needed to.

5:44 - Doesn't seem that impressive of a block but I love his balance and he controls his guy throughout the play. Very nice.

6:02 - I think he just takes too much of a step to try to fake out the defender, but doesn't really impact the play much. It happens.

6:25 - He just takes a bad angle here trying to help his teammate and doesn't get enough of the defender.

6:47 - Does a nice job shielding off the defender with his arm while still keeping inside

6:55 - Nothing of note happens here, doesn't have anyone to find to block letting go the first defender.

7:03 - Just a really poor angle on the defender and whiffs the block. But redeems himself at the end of the play making the block to get his teammate a touchdown.

7:14 - Not a bad pass block rep here, doesn't get beat with power and controls his guy.

Would like to see what others think if they want to watch along at all the timestamps.

Edited by Gopackgonerd
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

If the video doesn't work just search "Luke Musgrave - Oregon State TE #88 vs Fresno State (2022)"

So it seems like Musgraves blocking has been a pretty big question since drafting  him so I decided to look at every block he had vs Fresno State last year.  Came away from it with a couple of things. I'm no where near an expert on blocking from a tight end standpoint, but from my analysis watching him, I really feel like the guy knows what he's doing, he just needs some more coaching in some spots, you can work with his blocking when you need to use him as one.

First I do think he's a willing blocker, he's blocking till the end of the play every time even if the defender sheds his block he doesn't give up. I do feel like he has great control blocking for the most part when he engages a defender as well. He will get overpowered though at times. I will say sometimes he takes some bad angles on blocks too, either miss steps or doesn't squeeze in the right way to get enough of the defender and they get past him. He definitely needs to get stronger, but I don't think he needs to add a ton of strength. I do really think you can work with his blocking and mold it into something though. The guy has a good grasp on blocking, he just needs to refine his technique and angles. Never going to be a dominant blocker, but he's not a one trick pony with his game either as some think.

Here's a log of all his block reps with some of my analysis if you wanna call it that lol - 

:46 - I'm not gonna be too hard on him on this play, the defender had a better angle on the play and set the edge well. He needed to be a bit more patient though.

:54 - He did a pretty good job here doing his job and got enough of the defender to erase him out of the play. Biggest thing you will see a lot is him getting beat with strength/power more than anything.

1:16 - This looks like what we would run here so it's a good example. First pass blocking rep here and honestly he does a great job, a little awkward with his technique but he did what he needed to do.

1:24 - First bad block, he really needs to squeeze down more inside but misses the block.

1:35 - nothing really of note here since he didn't engage but he shadowed the defender well.

1:44 - I would say it's a slight win for the defender but he got overpowered a bit. Did enough but wasnt on the play side.

1:51 - Honestly closer inspection on this play that looks like he whiffs badly, the tackle gets beat quickly on the play and Musgrave runs into his own teammate. 

1:57 - Good block here, nothing special, but controls his guy well.

2:01 - Another pretty good block here, didn't lose control until his teammate gets shoved into him at the end.

2:27 - Honestly a really good block and eventually gets his guy on the ground

2:59 - Another motion block, does a great job faking his first block, but takes a bad angle on his next guy but surprisingly keeps his guy in control to give the WR a lane to run.

3:36 - The defender flat out beats him this play with a power move and throws him to the side. Not great technique and shows he needs to put on more strength.

3:48 - His feet here are not good in this pass block rep, needed to squeeze back inside more and the defender knifed thru.

4:12 - Is a double team block, but thought it was good technique and delivered a nice block

4:28 - Thought this was one of his better blocks. Does get beat eventually but he has a really nice recovery afterwards instead of going forward to insure he doesn't affect the play

4:37 - Kind of a fake route into a block downfield but no really fight by the defender, but did his job well.

4:44 - Don't know what to give him on this play because he just sorta elbow blocks the defender and it works out for him lol. Probably not going to work that often.

4:50 - Think he really just gets lost here and a defender is pretty much free. Maybe he thought his tackle had him? But should of just kept inside.

5:34 - Nothing really of note here, just a extra blocker here pass blocking, doesn't get that involved or needed to.

5:44 - Doesn't seem that impressive of a block but I love his balance and he controls his guy throughout the play. Very nice.

6:02 - I think he just takes too much of a step to try to fake out the defender, but doesn't really impact the play much. It happens.

6:25 - He just takes a bad angle here trying to help his teammate and doesn't get enough of the defender.

6:47 - Does a nice job shielding off the defender with his arm while still keeping inside

6:55 - Nothing of note happens here, doesn't have anyone to find to block letting go the first defender.

7:03 - Just a really poor angle on the defender and whiffs the block. But redeems himself at the end of the play making the block to get his teammate a touchdown.

7:14 - Not a bad pass block rep here, doesn't get beat with power and controls his guy.

Would like to see what others think if they want to watch along at all the timestamps.

The thing you consistently see with Musgrave is he is in the right spots for blocking. He is extremely quick getting to the next level, but he struggles at times with keeping the block once he is there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

1:24 - First bad block, he really needs to squeeze down more inside but misses the block. (Cant figure out a trap block? He literally just has to not be 2 yards away from the OL and head hunt.)

2:27 - Honestly a really good block and eventually gets his guy on the groun. (We're seeing completely different things. Hes just got to block out this slot defender, who beats him across face and looks like Luke gets in an uncalled hold.)

2:59 - Another motion block, does a great job faking his first block, but takes a bad angle on his next guy but surprisingly keeps his guy in control to give the WR a lane to run. (#6 Overplays his outside contain and takes himself out of the play)

3:36 - The defender flat out beats him this play with a power move and throws him to the side. Not great technique and shows he needs to put on more strength. (Does a decent job of driving little #6 before being shucked like corn)

3:48 - His feet here are not good in this pass block rep, needed to squeeze back inside more and the defender knifed thru. (.) Haha accidental booby.

4:12 - Is a double team block, but thought it was good technique and delivered a nice bloc. (Gave a shoulder on a combo before his partner trips)

4:28 - Thought this was one of his better blocks. Does get beat eventually but he has a really nice recovery afterwards instead of going forward to insure he doesn't affect the play (his first big boy task. Down block, head goes down, hand immediately shoots to outside shoulder pad and gets into penalty danger, think the DE can beat him across face here with a chop and rip but goes for push pull and gets rid of Luke, kudos for rebounding, but the plays past them at this point. Speed bump block)

4:37 - Kind of a fake route into a block downfield but no really fight by the defender, but did his job well. (DE has flat responsibility here on a zone drop, well timed/lucky plays all. nothing play.) 

4:44 - Don't know what to give him on this play because he just sorta elbow blocks the defender and it works out for him lol. Probably not going to work that often. (Looks like it should just be a cut block, backside speed bump block)

4:50 - Think he really just gets lost here and a defender is pretty much free. Maybe he thought his tackle had him? But should of just kept inside. (Im putting this one on lack of communication, the tackle and guard just end up comboing the DE, leaving three hats for 2 blockers. Lukes trying to pass off his EDGE to the tackle who's not there, FB takes the first hat who flashes. They have even numbers and 2 hats end up unblocked. This is a mess because nobody talked. )

6:47 - Does a nice job shielding off the defender with his arm while still keeping inside (they must not cut block at oregon state. I like how they teach that reach block. Rip through and butt block. Is good speed bump.)

Ive always said he gives the little guys hell so im just gonna address the stuff where hes given big boy tasks. And #6 might be in the position of edge buts hes all of 215 lbs.

my responses in ().

All that to say i REALLY dont care if he'll ever block NFL EDGE guys. As long as he bodies safeties and cares enough to try to slow down some bigs. We have Deguara for HBack and Kraft for in line work. Its a good looking room if they hit. Musgraves isnt my type of TE but i sure get it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

The thing you consistently see with Musgrave is he is in the right spots for blocking. He is extremely quick getting to the next level, but he struggles at times with keeping the block once he is there. 

Outside of the play hes chasing the wrong guy. But yeah, when hes asked to block the guy in front of him hes got it figured out.

Edited by HighCalebR

This guy is GOATed, found some rosters in madden with some rookies in, played on just all pro but he caught a shot play pass off PA in OT against the Bears and took it 80 ******* yards without anyone catching him lol

Christian Watson is unstoppable too. I think if I wanted to, you could get him 400 yards in a game lol

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

This guy is GOATed, found some rosters in madden with some rookies in, played on just all pro but he caught a shot play pass off PA in OT against the Bears and took it 80 ******* yards without anyone catching him lol

Christian Watson is unstoppable too. I think if I wanted to, you could get him 400 yards in a game lol

I think Jordan Love wants to. The only issue is if there will be 400 left over after Reed gets his first 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 12:17 AM, Gopackgonerd said:

First off, good post.  

I see zero problem with where he is at as a blocker right now.  Give him a couple of seasons to get a little stronger, and learn a little better technique, and this guy is probably a plus blocker.  I would like to see a little bit more nasty, and it kind of looked like he wasn't really seeking out guys to block when the play wasn't explicitly calling for it, but I think he can be taught that too.

• Like 1