2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think they have thresholds and they tend to stick to them. When you look at Reed he is close… they like 5’11” or above, Reed is 5’10.5”. They want 195lbs, Reed was 187lbs when measured but at rookie minicamp he was quoted as saying he is up to 190/192 ish.  And he didn’t run a 3 cone. If he runs it he likely hits their threshold of 7.09 or less.

I think what let them feel good about Reed is the production.

He feels like Jaire 2.0, just as a WR.

Pretty sure he measured in ar 5107, which is 5'10.875". 5104 would be 5'10.5"

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Pretty sure he measured in ar 5107, which is 5'10.875". 5104 would be 5'10.5"

Even better haha. Again he is sooo close on all their metrics. Specifically the size metrics. If he truly at 192 ish and that doesn’t hurt his movement skills or put him at risk of injury with the extra weight.

Then he really is a packers wr by all measures. And he isn’t such an outlier. Again I think they look at his style of play, and production and said “we can deal with him be .125 of an inch short and 3 lbs lighter.”

• Like 1

I addressed the thresholds earlier in this thread.  It is 6'1, and/or 200 pounds AND we keep one smaller WR.  I thought that it was an exception with Cobb and Jennings.  But it really looks like they were exceptions because they were really good, and lasted a long time.  I suspect that if either were picks that busted out, there would have been more stabs at the small WR.  If neither Reed not Melton show promise this season, I predict that the Packers will take another small WR in the next draft.  If either of them do look like contributors, the Packers will probably make additions that are in the typical 6'1 and/or 200 pound range.

I also remember watching Reed pre draft.  I lumped him with the small WRs.  There were a bunch of good, small WRs in this class.  I thought he was good, but didn't really stand out more than any of the other small WRs.  He was not tiny, which was a plus.  

But my main interest in the WRs were the big WRs that would be day 3 types, so I didn't really focus much on the ~20-70 pick WRs, especially if they were small.  

The pre-draft WR discussion was like 60% JSN, 20% Quentin Johnston, 10% Zay Flowers, and 10% me talking about 6'4 day 3 guys.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

None of those players were drafted by Gutey.

Toure was.  But it is literally splitting hairs there.  These guys are all listed at 6'1.  And Montgomery was used primarily at RB, and is currently listed at 216 pounds. 

I swear, I get so much push back on this WR size thing, and it never makes any sense to me.  It has everything to do with trying to predict what the Packers will probably do.  They are more likely to draft the guy that is 6 foot and 29/32 inches than they are the guy that is 5'9.  

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Why do we believe that Gute (who worked in the FO under TT) has different thresholds than TT?  Thompson admitted his thresholds were basically Wolf's.

And he was a protoge of the king of h/w/s, Al Davis.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Why do we believe that Gute (who worked in the FO under TT) has different thresholds than TT?  Thompson admitted his thresholds were basically Wolf's.

Because Gutey assembled a basketball team WR room when he assumed the role? There were 4 WRs I believe who matched every single threshold for Gutey in 2022, he drafted 2 of them. There were 4 this year as well Mingo (who he really never had a shot to draft), Wicks, AT Perry, and DuBose. He drafted 2 again. He has a type.

17 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, James Jones wasn't 6'1", he measured at 6006, and Toure measured at 6007.  Ty Montgomery was 5117.  Hell, Davante was 6007.

So I'm pretty sure the threshold is not 6'1".

Everything I see it’s 5’11 and 195lbs.

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Because Gutey assembled a basketball team WR room when he assumed the role? There were 4 WRs I believe who matched every single threshold for Gutey in 2022, he drafted 2 of them. There were 4 this year as well Mingo (who he really never had a shot to draft), Wicks, AT Perry, and DuBose. He drafted 2 again. He has a type.

I don't believe you anchor man | I dont believe you, Funny ...