2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Reportedly he slipped due to "character stuff" which could mean anything.

He is also like 24. You don’t want to draft older skill positions. I don’t mind getting older oline, QBs etc… positions that can still play well into their 30s.

a lot of skill positions lose their juice at 30.

4 hours ago, Green19 said:

He is also like 24. You don’t want to draft older skill positions. I don’t mind getting older oline, QBs etc… positions that can still play well into their 30s.

a lot of skill positions lose their juice at 30.

In the first 2-3 round sure, day 3 that's pretty irrelevant 

I like Reed, looks like a promising player for us. But looking back on what was there at pick #50 I think Dexter who's only 21 would've been the smarter pick. Dexter, LVN, Gary, Wyatt, Walker would've put this defense over the top. You're talking about an elite defensive core for the next 10 years. Could've got a small slot in the 4th or later because we wouldn't have needed to draft Wooden or Brooks. 

42 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I like Reed, looks like a promising player for us. But looking back on what was there at pick #50 I think Dexter who's only 21 would've been the smarter pick. Dexter, LVN, Gary, Wyatt, Walker would've put this defense over the top. You're talking about an elite defensive core for the next 10 years. Could've got a small slot in the 4th or later because we wouldn't have needed to draft Wooden or Brooks. 

Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott and Deion Sanders wouldn't put this defense over the top with Joe Barry at the helm. 

Facts.

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I addressed the thresholds earlier in this thread.  It is 6'1, and/or 200 pounds AND we keep one smaller WR.  I thought that it was an exception with Cobb and Jennings.  But it really looks like they were exceptions because they were really good...

Jerk, I think your notion of one smaller/quick player to go with the bigger ones makes sense.  

We just picked one, and we've always had one.  Seems like a theme.  

Trevor Davis 6'1" (188) and Toure (6'2" sub-200), were both slender, as is  Watson.   Seems like there is capacity for both sub-6' guy(s), and for slender guys.  

I imagine there might be some flexibility case-by-case?  The later the round, the less flawless available guys.  You can't have everything.  Maybe you compromise on some things in rounds 6 and 7?  Agree with ThatJerk, maybe on 3rd day compromising on some speed is OK for a guy who'll have a shot to be more Lazard-esque?  Or, maybe Toure was a compromise in terms of the weight/density component, at 6'2" he was plenty long, but pretty slender.  

On 5/6/2023 at 12:32 PM, incognito_man said:

It still strange to me how absent Reed was from all the stuff I consumed. Nobody talked about him here and he was glossed over everywhere else I looked. He was a super productive 4yr starter with a nice skillset. 

Still don't know how I overlooked him. I knew more about a lot of guys who went well after him.

I read up on him and watched him.  Meh.  He's slight of frame compared to others.  He didn't pop to me at all when I was watching him.  I turned off a lot of his "highlights" because his lack of size didn't do it for me.  And I didn't see much separation from him.

Then the senior bowl stuff came out.  Guys are drooling over him because he beat a guy without any other guys on the field.  Then he made some contested catches.

I hope he does well, he is a Packer.  But he went about a round higher than I thought he would.  JSN went right about where I thought he would.  He's just better, better explosion, better route running....etc.  My reservation on JSN, which I voiced (and was criticized for) was this....he's not the H/W/S prospect at WR that you want to take that high.  He did, however, fit what I thought we needed on offense, which is a slot guy that can get open quickly.

I now view Reed as another slot guy that can benefit our offense.  And despite taking him earlier than I when  thought he should go?  I am fine with he pick.  In fact, I'll bet I'm much happier with LVN and Reed at those slots than I would have been with JSN and insert EDGE rusher available at that pick.

I looked it up, no EDGE guy was drafted in the second round after Reed.  DJ Johnson went at pick 80 in the third round.  Looks like Gutey managed the whole EDGE/WR thing pretty nicely to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I read up on him and watched him.  Meh.  He's slight of frame compared to others.  He didn't pop to me at all when I was watching him.  I turned off a lot of his "highlights" because his lack of size didn't do it for me.  And I didn't see much separation from him.

Then the senior bowl stuff came out.  Guys are drooling over him because he beat a guy without any other guys on the field.  Then he made some contested catches.

I hope he does well, he is a Packer.  But he went about a round higher than I thought he would.  JSN went right about where I thought he would.  He's just better, better explosion, better route running....etc.  My reservation on JSN, which I voiced (and was criticized for) was this....he's not the H/W/S prospect at WR that you want to take that high.  He did, however, fit what I thought we needed on offense, which is a slot guy that can get open quickly.

I now view Reed as another slot guy that can benefit our offense.  And despite taking him earlier than I when  thought he should go?  I am fine with he pick.  In fact, I'll bet I'm much happier with LVN and Reed at those slots than I would have been with JSN and insert EDGE rusher available at that pick.

I looked it up, no EDGE guy was drafted in the second round after Reed.  DJ Johnson went at pick 80 in the third round.  Looks like Gutey managed the whole EDGE/WR thing pretty nicely to me.

Nailed it. 

Although I LOVED Reed's "tape" the moment I turned it on. I was blown away. He legit looks like a mix of Tyreke and Antonio Brown to me. He doesn't have Tyreke's 4.29 speed, but he plays like he has sub 4.40 speed. He runs away from guys when hit in stride and gained separation (before having to adjust to bad passes and still making the play). 

That's also my favorite mold. 5'11", 190, insane foot speed. Yep. Sold. 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nailed it. 

Although I LOVED Reed's "tape" the moment I turned it on. I was blown away. He legit looks like a mix of Tyreke and Antonio Brown to me. He doesn't have Tyreke's 4.29 speed, but he plays like he has sub 4.40 speed. He runs away from guys when hit in stride and gained separation (before having to adjust to bad passes and still making the play). 

I didn't see the speed that you talk about.  In being fair here, I also didn't see that elite speed stuff from Flowers.  Now, before you call me crazy, let me defend myself....

When someone is fast, like NFL fast, I look for speed like Watson has.  And that isn't fair.  Watson's tape has probably forever ruined me when looking at highlights and trying to find speed and acceleration.  And don't anyone tell me that 4.34 time or whatever it was, he's sub 4.3 and it shows.  It showed on his college tape and it shows in the NFL.  He's just a freak.

And if the prospect doesn't have that?  Well, I get bored, quickly.

So, that's my bias and it is really because Watson's stuff is still burned into my brain.  Reed isn't that.  He was never supposed to be like that.  And that's on me, not him.

Despite being a little miffed that we passed on JSN....I'm much happier with LVN there, then taking two TE's and a WR.  Those good EDGE guys went quicker than I thought they would.  Gutey did a really good job in my book and I'm now rooting for Reed.  

41 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Gute definitely nailed the progression of the draft. EDGE/OT should've always been round 1 as the WR's were going to fall.

It will always be Reed vs Hyatt when comparing this pick. Don't fault the Packers for wanting the guy ready for a full snap load right now, but if Hyatt is another Jaylen Waddle in 2-3 years based on that insane speed/explosion he has, better hope Reed panned out to something as well. 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gute definitely nailed the progression of the draft. EDGE/OT should've always been round 1 as the WR's were going to fall.

It will always be Reed vs Hyatt when comparing this pick. Don't fault the Packers for wanting the guy ready for a full snap load right now, but if Hyatt is another Jaylen Waddle in 2-3 years based on that insane speed/explosion he has, better hope Reed panned out to something as well. 

I liked Hyatt a lot, too. His one trick is a really good one. But Reed is SUCH a better developed WR he makes wayyyy more sense in an already young and inexperienced room. He's far more ready to contribute day 1 than Hyatt and there's a lot of value there. Hyatt has that 2-3 yr upside if he learns how to play WR. Reed already knows. I imagine that's why we had him above (perhaps significantly so) Hyatt. He also has a more mature NFL body. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I watched Hyatt, too.  He would have been my selection.  He had some "special" in him that I just didn't see with Reed.  I was pretty surprised when we didn't go Hyatt at that pick.

Telling on myself...I watched some Reed stuff, but lost interest quickly.  Nothing that I saw screamed out slot to me.   The Senior Bowl stuff that I saw after he was drafted?  That's when I really saw those quick feet, so I'm coming around on the pick.  

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That’s really not even small, Greg Jennings was that size.

There was no way the Packers were gonna use a premium pick, with this roster, on a guy who could only play the slot.  People just had “replace Randall Cobb” in their head.