2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I liked Hyatt a lot, too. His one trick is a really good one. But Reed is SUCH a better developed WR he makes wayyyy more sense in an already young and inexperienced room. He's far more ready to contribute day 1 than Hyatt and there's a lot of value there. Hyatt has that 2-3 yr upside if he learns how to play WR. Reed already knows. I imagine that's why we had him above (perhaps significantly so) Hyatt. He also has a more mature NFL body. 

Sure, but Hyatt will have 2 years in an NFL weight room by his 23rd birthday, Reed has none. Age matters in grade. LIS I see why they did it, but the pick will rightfully compare these two players over the course of their career in determining what the right decision was. Just like our TE picks will be compared to Washington and his health as he progresses through his career.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I watched Hyatt, too.  He would have been my selection.  He had some "special" in him that I just didn't see with Reed.  I was pretty surprised when we didn't go Hyatt at that pick.

Telling on myself...I watched some Reed stuff, but lost interest quickly.  Nothing that I saw screamed out slot to me.   The Senior Bowl stuff that I saw after he was drafted?  That's when I really saw those quick feet, so I'm coming around on the pick.  

Watch 2021, Reed must've been battling something this past year and got healthy by the Senior Bowl, tape just wasn't as good this year. Packers are betting on 2021 Reed and Wicks.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I didn't see the speed that you talk about.  In being fair here, I also didn't see that elite speed stuff from Flowers.  Now, before you call me crazy, let me defend myself....

When someone is fast, like NFL fast, I look for speed like Watson has.  And that isn't fair.  Watson's tape has probably forever ruined me when looking at highlights and trying to find speed and acceleration.  And don't anyone tell me that 4.34 time or whatever it was, he's sub 4.3 and it shows.  It showed on his college tape and it shows in the NFL.  He's just a freak.

And if the prospect doesn't have that?  Well, I get bored, quickly.

So, that's my bias and it is really because Watson's stuff is still burned into my brain.  Reed isn't that.  He was never supposed to be like that.  And that's on me, not him.

Despite being a little miffed that we passed on JSN....I'm much happier with LVN there, then taking two TE's and a WR.  Those good EDGE guys went quicker than I thought they would.  Gutey did a really good job in my book and I'm now rooting for Reed.  

Watson is clearly fast on the field, not just in the 40, as his GPS showed.  Being able to maintain top end speed while making cuts is where it’s at.  

Sometimes speed in college highlight tapes can be deceiving because they are running so wide open they end up being able to get to a sprinters stride.  Guys like Reed juking, stopping and starting, won’t look like that on film.  

Edited by LacyIsGood

43 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

That’s really not even small, Greg Jennings was that size.

There was no way the Packers were gonna use a premium pick, with this roster, on a guy who could only play the slot.  People just had “replace Randall Cobb” in their head.  

I think people were just operating under the assumption that "the Packers had almost exclusively drafted tall WRs of late" as the actual paradigm or the organization, rather than what it actually was for most of those years which was "well, we have Davante to do the other stuff."

Since you always kind of draft relative to what you have in house, but the circumstances have changed and thus so should the assumptions.  Now they're picking guys on offense to work with Love, Watson, Doubs, etc.  

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I read up on him and watched him.  Meh.  He's slight of frame compared to others.  He didn't pop to me at all when I was watching him.  I turned off a lot of his "highlights" because his lack of size didn't do it for me.  And I didn't see much separation from him.

Then the senior bowl stuff came out.  Guys are drooling over him because he beat a guy without any other guys on the field.  Then he made some contested catches.

I hope he does well, he is a Packer.  But he went about a round higher than I thought he would.  JSN went right about where I thought he would.  He's just better, better explosion, better route running....etc.  My reservation on JSN, which I voiced (and was criticized for) was this....he's not the H/W/S prospect at WR that you want to take that high.  He did, however, fit what I thought we needed on offense, which is a slot guy that can get open quickly.

I now view Reed as another slot guy that can benefit our offense.  And despite taking him earlier than I when  thought he should go?  I am fine with he pick.  In fact, I'll bet I'm much happier with LVN and Reed at those slots than I would have been with JSN and insert EDGE rusher available at that pick.

I looked it up, no EDGE guy was drafted in the second round after Reed.  DJ Johnson went at pick 80 in the third round.  Looks like Gutey managed the whole EDGE/WR thing pretty nicely to me.

They would've had to go edge at the musgrave pick and TE at the reed pick and JSN at the LVN pick.  I think that would have been "fine" but I also prefer how this worked out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I watched Hyatt, too.  He would have been my selection.  He had some "special" in him that I just didn't see with Reed.  I was pretty surprised when we didn't go Hyatt at that pick.

Telling on myself...I watched some Reed stuff, but lost interest quickly.  Nothing that I saw screamed out slot to me.   The Senior Bowl stuff that I saw after he was drafted?  That's when I really saw those quick feet, so I'm coming around on the pick.  

Given that they took Reed, I think Addison over JSN was probably the case if they went WR in the 1st?

1 hour ago, LacyIsGood said:

Watson is clearly fast on the field, not just in the 40, as his GPS showed.  Being able to maintain top end speed while making cuts is where it’s at.  

Sometimes speed in college highlight tapes can be deceiving because they are running so wide open they end up being able to get to a sprinters stride.  Guys like Reed juking, stopping and starting, won’t look like that on film.  

I get what you are saying...but in the case of Watson, I do not agree with it.

The guy is a freak.  He gets his speed right away and he's just that much faster than everyone else.  Dude is sub 4.3.  Which is where he was timed at the combine until a manual adjustment was made.  

Say nothing about Reed.  I don't much care, as the conversation was to "why" I turned his tape off.  I was looking for Watson type speed.  Very few have that, and that mistake is on me.

Concerning Reed, that quickness at the Senior Bowl was impressive.  I hope it works for us.

31 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Given that they took Reed, I think Addison over JSN was probably the case if they went WR in the 1st?

I don't think they wanted to go WR in the first at all.

We wanted to trade up.  My guess would be to get one of the premier tackles or the last premier EDGE in LVN.  At #13, that was probably going to happen.  At #15?  Higher probability that they couldn't do that.

I feel like had we stayed at #15, we would have traded down and picked from the next tier of players.  I don't think any WR would have been in that next tier of prospects, maybe QJ because of size/weight/speed.  

Had JSN or Addison fallen to our first pick in the second round, then I'll bet we would have jumped on them.  But I don't feel like they were on a list of first round players for us.

Just my $.02.  Could very well be wrong.  I'll ask my wife.....yeah....probably wrong.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Addison was not on GB's board.

I think you have to be a pretty freaking incredible WR to be in the consideration for the Packers in round 1.  This year was not an especially strong WR class and most years those guys went before the Packers got to pick.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, R T said:

The last 6 WR's drafted in the 2nd round by the Packers. 

2023 - Jayden Reed

2022 - Christian Watson

2014 - Davante Adams

2011 - Randall Cobb

2008 - Jordy Nelson

2006 - Greg Jennings

Just proof that you don't need to take a WR in round 1. There are still a lot of 1st round WR's that bust. I prefer the strategy the Packers take. Get guys in round 2 and often times that multiple in drafts. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Where did you see this?

I really think they have a weight cutoff for WRs and Addison was 173 at the combine.

Like here are all the WRs drafted by Gute: Reed (191), Wicks (206), Dubose (201), Watson (208), Doubs (204), Toure (191), A Rodgers (212), Moore (207), MVS (206), ESB(214).

If you look at the hits that TT had at the position you get Davante (212), Jordy (217), Jennings (197), Jones (207), Cobb (191).  Arguably Terrence Murphy was going to be a good one before a career ending injury, and he was 202. 

From what I could find the only WR below 190 drafted by TT or Gute was Trevor Davis who was 188- they probably believed he could add 2 lbs.  I'm pretty sure they had discussions about JSN, Quentin Johnson, and Jonathan Mingo, but were all the way out on Addison and Flowers.

Edited by PossibleCabbage