2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

On 5/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, Packerraymond said:

Watch 2021, Reed must've been battling something this past year and got healthy by the Senior Bowl, tape just wasn't as good this year. Packers are betting on 2021 Reed and Wicks.

I saw a recent interview with Steve Smith and Reed.  Reed kind of admitted that he played not to get hurt a bit last year.  He was dinged up and didn't want to kill his draft stock.  At least he's honest. 

27 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I saw a recent interview with Steve Smith and Reed.  Reed kind of admitted that he played not to get hurt a bit last year.  He was dinged up and didn't want to kill his draft stock.  At least he's honest. 

I mean, it was pretty obvious that this was not going to be a good year for the Spartans pretty early in 2022.  After eating two cupcakes to start, they were down 3 TDs at halftime to Washington, then lost 3 B1G games in a row.  Losing Kenneth Walker really hurt.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Addison fails just about every metric GB has for WR's except for college production. If they took a WR in round 1, it would've been Johnston or maybe JSN (though his weight was below our usual cutoff too.)

JSN was 196 at the combine, which is within parameters (I think 190 is the threshold, as we see with Reed and Cobb).  It really wouldn't have surprised me if they did take JSN, but both him and QJ the real question was "how much do you value that guy."   Weird year for WRs though.

It's interesting to me that after the run of 4 straight WRs in the first, the first three WRs were "guys the Packers actually would have considered"  and the multiple trade downs suggest that they were maybe waiting for someone else to make their decision for them between Reed and Rashee Rice.  But Mingo, Reed, and Rice all going before bigger names like Mims, Dell, Hyatt, Tillman, and Downs does suggest that we shouldn't lose faith in the Packers ability to scout WRs.

Hell, it's possible that all those years they didn't spend any premium picks at the position has something to do with how *specifically* they draft WRs.

21 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Where did you see this?

If you look at the Packers roster since Ron Wolf, we have been very specific with the body types of WRs.  Almost all of our WRs have been at least either 6'1 or 200 pounds, and oftentimes both.  There are a handful of exceptions, but for 35ish years, we have (mostly) stayed away from "small" WRs.  Funnily enough, Reed is one of those exceptions, but it is very likely that a lot of the WRs in this draft class were not on the Packers board at all.  I would suspect that Addison was one of those guys as were:  Zay Flowers, Josh Downs, Marvin Mims.  Not that any of them can't be good, it is just not what we do.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Addison fails just about every metric GB has for WR's except for college production. If they took a WR in round 1, it would've been Johnston or maybe JSN (though his weight was below our usual cutoff too.)

Biggest metric he failed was the one requiring a brain if you ask me.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Almost all of our WRs have been at least either 6'1 or 200 pounds, and oftentimes both

I wonder if there's two separeate categories for WR thresholds.  Like the 6'1" guys were all 200+, but the shorter guys were all 190+ (Reed, Rodgers, Cobb for e.g.).  190+ is not a "small" shorter WR,  Flowers is 185, Addison is 173, Mims is 177, Dell is 165, Hyatt's 184, Downs is 177, Tre Tucker is 182 etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacReady said:

Biggest metric he failed was the one requiring a brain if you ask me.

Yeah .. I think we did fine with Reed in round two.  I think that kid has a bit of an "it" factor about him.  My hope is that he's the second coming of Tyler Lockett.  He's going to be well worth that 50th pick in my opinion, plus passing on WR allowed us to land a guy in Van Ness that I think will be a stud for years in GB.  Love that pick.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Anywhere from 7-10 to 10-7. We won't be as lucky this year and be heavily relying on new players. 

And we'll still find a way to split with Green Bay!😜

That's why I asked because I knew you'd be realistic. I'm hopeful our change at quarterback will get us over our house of horrors. 

51 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

This year might be our chance to see every team in the division go 3-3 against each other.

I think the Bears are still going to suck. 

I'm not buying the Justin Fields hype. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wonder if there's two separeate categories for WR thresholds.  Like the 6'1" guys were all 200+, but the shorter guys were all 190+ (Reed, Rodgers, Cobb for e.g.).  190+ is not a "small" shorter WR,  Flowers is 185, Addison is 173, Mims is 177, Dell is 165, Hyatt's 184, Downs is 177, Tre Tucker is 182 etc.

After we drafted Reed, I went back and looked at how we have assembled the WR room in the past.  There are some notable exceptions for "small" WRs.  Donald Driver*, Greg Jennings*, and Randall Cobb do not fit the mold.  All three were very productive and paid well, and two were even second round picks.  So we see that there is room for this type.  What gives me pause is that we very much ignore this type when filling out the PS and even with later round picks.  You would think that if there was a spot for this body type, we would be a bit more active in trying for a "plan b" should that guy get injured, and we really don't seem to be trying that.  We currently do have Bo Melton to go with Reed, but I will be shocked if Melton makes the roster, and actually pretty surprised if we even keep him on the PS.  

*Both Driver and Jennings were nearly 200 pounds, and miss the thresholds by very small amounts.  Both were 190+ pounds.